1/3 of Democrats want to repeal the 2A

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Herdfan, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Herdfan macrumors 6502

The thing that many posters here say when it comes to gun control is that the Dems don't want to ban guns, just reasonable restrictions.

Well that just went out the window with a new Quinnipiac poll that shows a full 1/3 of Democrats want to repeal the 2A. So when the left says they don't want to confiscate all guns, they are lying. While not a majority of Dems, 1/3 is a pretty high number.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattv...rats-want-to-repeal-second-amendment-n2470086

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Getting rid of the second amendment does not equal banning all guns.

3. samcraig macrumors P6

Now we believe a single poll? Also, as you said, it's not a majority so making a blanket statement is inaccurate.

4. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

I want to repeal the Second Amendment, but I do not want to ban all guns. I just want local jurisdictions to have the ability to enact common sense gun control legislation without being second guessed by a court based on an outdated Constitutional amendment.

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Not going to happen ... they have a better chance of electing David Hogg as President

6. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Good. It’s outdated. It’s not about an idea, it relates to physical objects that are different now. A carriage was a vehicle. I don’t want rules applied to a Conestoga wagon applied to a 737.

I am pro gun ownership. I’m not pro second-amendment.

7. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Thats fine - can we "revisit" some other amendments/rules/regulations too then?

I hope the Dems run on that platform. Best of luck.

8. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

President Hogg will ban the 2A. OK then. It's settled. :)

9. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Luck isn’t needed. I hope they run on facts too.

10. statik13 macrumors regular

statik13

11. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I'm a registered Democrat and I support the 2nd amendment. But to me, "support the 2nd amendment" doesn't equate to support for completely unfettered gun ownership.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The physical objects that the government has access to have improved as well. The second amendment wasn't about owning physical objects, it was about securing a future populace against tyranny.

Dems usually purposely muddy this by trying to position the preamble of the actual right as a requirement.

13. 0007776 Suspended

Sure, which ones do you want to revisit?

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Voters requiring ID has been pretty popular on the right.

15. StarShot macrumors 6502a

StarShot

Hummm? Two thirds of the House AND Senate would have to vote to repeal and then three quarters of the States would have to ratify it. Odds of this happening, slight to zero.

16. raqball macrumors 68000

17. StarShot macrumors 6502a

StarShot

What Constitution is that in, Russia?

18. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Never said it was likely. The fact that Trump is unlikely to be swallowed up a rupture in the earth's surface doesn't change the fact that I'd like that to happen as well.

19. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

--- Post Merged, Apr 15, 2018 ---
    Odd, that does not seem to be his position.

20. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Ok, so why can’t I buy a damn tank or flamethrower?

It’s a stupid, outdated amendment that was noble at the time and a gateway for mass murder now. Most politicians are hypocritical, but when these things get closer to our own backyards, we will all wake up.

21. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

you misread my post ... I said not going to happen.

I also put the odds of David Hogg becoming President at zero and next to none.

22. 0007776 Suspended

Most of the left doesn’t have a big problem with that general idea, just with how it is implemented such as changing the law immediately before an election to prevent people who don’t have an ID from getting one in time, or closing DMV offices in rural counties with high concentrations of minorities right after passing the law. But as long as there was debate about how to make sure that everyone who was legally entitled to vote was able to get an ID most of the left would have no issue.

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yes, exactly. During the Alabama special election, one woman posted on Twitter that she took her birth certificate with her to the polls to ensure she would be allowed to vote, because she wasn't sure her other IDs would be accepted. To have to go that kind of length to vote is way too burdensome, but that's what many Republican-proposed voter ID laws do.

24. samcraig macrumors P6

Please The GOP - or shall I say 2A ardent supporters completely muddy the definition and position. It's a significant reason why we have some of the problems we have and can't have rational dialogue too. Not that the Left is above their issues. But come on man. Be real.

25. Herdfan thread starter macrumors 6502

Huge difference between wanting some common sense restrictions and the repeal of the 2A.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 15, 2018 ---
    You can. There are private individuals who own these things.

But the reason for it are just as important today as they were back then.