1/3 of keys suddenly stopped working.. Can't login.. Can't reset pram

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by theLemur, Nov 1, 2015.

1. theLemur macrumors regular

I went to turn my 2011 MacBook air on this morning and I was unable to type my password because some of the keys would not respond. I did not spill any liquids on it. I reset it many times, even drained the battery all the way down, but still some keys do not respond, and they are the keys that I need To enter my password, and I cannot reset the P ram because the P Key is one of the keys that does not work. So the keyboard stopped working even before the operating system loads, and does not work properly even in the Internet recovery screen.

I am travelin I am traveling in a remote part of Mexico and I have little access to things like the Apple Store. If I get desperate I will get to a store and buy a USB keyboard.

I searched extensively online, and it appears that many people had different sets of keys stop working, and there were different ways to hit command or option or caps lock to get it to work but none of the techniques that I found made any difference.

Any help is appreciated!!

2. theLemur thread starter macrumors regular

Also now there is a globe with an!, From the Internet recovery screen, that says apple.com/support and then beneath it it says – 2002F

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The globe means that your Mac is now attempting to boot to a network server, such as Apple's software servers.
    You likely don't have it configured to use a network for connecting that way, and that may be what causes the error 2002F.
    Or, your wifi network doesn't support a netboot.
    And, that may all be caused by your failed keyboard, as there could be not only keys that don't respond, but some that are stuck down.
    You should try an external USB keyboard, if you can find one - or borrow one.
    But, you can expect that sticking keys on your internal keyboard may prevent a USB keyboard from working, too.
    It's worth a try, and I hope that it helps. Just don't be surprised if an external does not affect anything.

4. theLemur thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I hadn't thought of sticking keys, I may hit it pretty hard upside down because at this point it's only use is charging my cell.

I wasn't able to type the wifi password since one of the letters was one of the inoperable ones.

I have been in a 100% humidity environment at the sea, perhaps that's causing something internal to stick?

I have the pentalobe screw driver at home but that's pretty far away lol

5. Significant1 macrumors 6502

If you can boot up, try showing the on-screen keyboard. It will show if some keys has become sticky. Translated from non-english osx, the steps are:
    system preferences->keyboard->input devices->show keyboard menu in menu line
    Now in you should have an ikon in the menu-line with a drop-down menu, where you can show on-screen keyboard.

6. theLemur thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, until I get an external keyboard I probably won't be able to boot it