1.5 stars out of 5 for Magsafe adapter 60W--Why?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cdm8630, Jul 19, 2012.

1. cdm8630, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012

cdm8630 macrumors newbie

Need a new charging adapter, but when I looked on Apple's Website the Magsafe adapter 60w had only about 1.5 stars rating out of 5 stars with OVER 1100 reviews/ratings.
    What is the problem? What do you suggest?
    Thanks

2. riam macrumors regular

I am not really sure, i think most people see this items as indestructibles and they treat them as any extension cord, they trow it to the floor and breaks or something.

In my experience I have 4 chargers and have never had trouble with them 2 of the square connector version 1 of the newer ergonomic version and 1 of the newest magsafe2, you had to take good care of them try not to flex the connectors and not to drop the box if that is the case you should have no problem.

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Because nobody bothers to go onto Apple's website and leave a review about how their charger works exactly like it's supposed to. The only people who go to that trouble are the ones who had problems.

4. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

Don't use Apple MagSafe adapters. They are notoriously low quality. Get a reputable third party solution.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That is extremely poor advice. Apple has not licensed MagSafe adapter technology to any 3rd party, so there is no assurance that knockoff adapters are fully compatible with Apple's charging technology, which involves the adapter, the battery and the logic board. Apple MagSafe adapters are the only adapters assured to be designed for and compatible with Apple computers. They are not low quality.

I recommend you ignore the ratings and buy the only adapter that Apple recommends that you use with your Mac.

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

They might not be low quality, but there's no reason why it should overheat and the internal circuit breaker kick in, when I'm using my macbook at 100%.

Compared to even a nice Dell brick, the Apple ones are stylish yet non-functional.

7. vistadude macrumors 65816

They overheat and break easily, and are known for electrical hazards.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Only a very small percentage have had such problems. The vast majority work fine.

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

It's probably because most people only leave a review if something goes wrong ;)