1 bar of ATT 3G at my home, iPhone 4S keeps switching back and forth, no 3G switch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nimski62, Oct 14, 2011.

1. nimski62 macrumors regular

This is REALLY annoying.. every 2 seconds I look at my phone it says No service, then hops to 1-2 bars of non-functional 3G, and then finally 5 bars of Edge.. With all previous iPhones i shut off 3g when I get home so I don't have this problem. I miss calls because the phone switches back and forth from 3G to edge so much. This makes this phone practically useless for me at home. this is ********. How hard is it to implement a 3G on/off switch like they've been doing for years?

2. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Interesting... I have a 3GS running iOS 5 and I have both a 3G switch and a Cellular Data Switch.

Attached Files:

3. MortalDays macrumors regular

I had the same problem. Switched to Verizon. Problem Solved. :rolleyes:

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

But it is no longer an option on the iPhone 4S.

5. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Hmmm... wonder why they chose to remove it from the 4S?

I like having the Cellular Data switch since my 3GS is using the SIM card from my corporate account.

That account doesn't have a data plan, so I leave it off and just stick to WiFi for data.
    AT&T cannot tack on the mandatory data plan to any of our phones on our corporate account either.
    Ahh the power you can achieve when you have over 40k mobile devices with a carrier. :D

6. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

if you only get one bar with ATT, why are you still with them?

7. TWD98j macrumors regular

Yeah I was like "WTF why did they remove it" when I got my 4S earlier this evening too. HOWEVER, what you do is just flip the "Cellular Data" switch to OFF, which will turn off your data but still allow for voice and texting. Then, if you switch your WiFi on, it'll be the same as if you had 3G turned off and WiFi turned on.

8. nimski62 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, but the damn phone still switches between 3g and edge, therefore sending incoming calls into voicemail.

9. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

Man that sucks. I have 1-2 bars at home too (AT&T). I haven't gotten the 4S yet but I'm now having doubts. Ugh. Isn't the double antenna supposed to help signal?

10. Saileshbreaker macrumors regular

This is why Apple increased the 3G usage time

Imo, when you turn off data usage on the 4S, it automatically switches to 2G. as apple says the following on its website : Talk time: Up to 8 hours on 3G, up to 14 hours on 2G (GSM) , so if its always on 3G, then the 2G is fake?

11. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

You guys sound like candidates for a Microcell...

12. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

I think reason that you can no switch off 3G to edge is because the doesnt exist on CDMA phones and they wanted to have the same software , that's my best guess

13. jrfive0 macrumors member

why do people incessantly complain about their ATT iPhones....it's your service...plain and simple, its not apples fault...GET VERIZON :mad:

14. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Because Verizon service sucks?

Granted, this depends on where you live, but still...

15. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Spotty AT&T G coverage

I have the same spotty G coverage problems with my 3GS. Solution that works for me is turning off G in those areas. Hope this method still works with the 4S. Like you, I had my doubts but decided to give it a shot. Didn't want to move to Verizon (fled from them many years ago because of the shabby service) and not impressed with Sprint. Also, I wanted to keep my unlimited data plan and discount with AT&T.

16. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

I'm sure they'll add it back with the next update...

17. cole01 macrumors 6502

Glad I'm not the only one that is upset with this change. I really hope they add it back in the next update, and even if they must disable Siri when on EDGE networks that'd be fine with me as I'm usually on wifi at home anyway. Other than this minor detail, I'm absolutely loving my 4S. :apple::confused:

AT&T is fine with 3G data at my house but the voice sucks, switching to EDGE results in barey any dropped calls.

18. EvilShenaniganZ macrumors 6502

EvilShenaniganZ

19. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I recently got an AT&T Microcell and am VERY happy. I used to have the same issues as you and couldn't take it.

I now have 5 full bars in my home and zero issues.

Of course, I know the Microcell is expensive AND has some issues, but it works when working.

20. dim.jr macrumors newbie

I was wondering why they don't have this option. Though, I've been having very good signal with the iPhone 4S since I've had it... so I have no room to complain.

On my 3GS I would have to switch to 2G to actually have consistent signal. Maybe the 4S switches between 3G and 2G automatically?

21. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

This is good news for me as I've had to turn off 3G on my iPhone 3GS to get bars. I've read how the 4S switches so I imagine that's why the option to turn off 3G isn't needed on this model. I look forward to improved signal performance with my 4S that's on it's way to my door :D

22. macbookpro45 macrumors 6502

3g switch

This is the most annoying thing in the world. I'm sitting at my desk and check my phone for the time and see 3G. A few minutes later I go to answer an email and it says E. The switching is COMPLETELY at random and terribly frustrating. I never had this problem with the iPhone 4. Had I known this would be an issue, I would not have bought the 4s.

23. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

I agree. The 3G switch would be nice to have back. At times we wish to turn 3G off to either save battery or for better reception.