1 Billion MORE debt relief for Egypt

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by squeeks, Sep 13, 2012.

1. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

This is in addition to the 1 Billion that was approved last week.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012...E8860T220120907?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

I pray that congress is able to stop this and Obama doesn’t use an executive order to pass it anyway.

I really don't understand how any intelligent person can vote for this man.

2. jeremy h macrumors 6502

If Egypt collapses the West is screwed in the Middle East. They're a lynchpin and are at a critical point. Your 'investments' in Iraq and Saudi won't be worth a bean if Egypt goes.

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

you do know that our economy gets well more than several billion from Egypt and it is to help prevent a domino collapse that would effect the US even more so. The US is not an island to itself.

How can conservatives not have semi advance logical thought?

4. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

You have me intrigued. Do you have a link for this?

Look forward to the semi advanced logical The US Economy Gets Well More Than Several Billion From Egypt link.

5. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I get the logic behind that, but at this point I'm more worried about a destabilized US and our own debt issues than those of folks on the other side of the world. We have our own financial mess that we need to try and resolve first, IMO.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

We don't need to be in the middle east we just need to buy their oil. The middle east needs to sell their oil, that should be about the height of our involvement over there.

Sending money to countries who hate you isn't a good foreign policy.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

8. jeremy h macrumors 6502

Sure - I understand your points. However, as someone once said - "Are you feeling lucky?" (When it comes to the oil price.)

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Is this an admission that you don't understand intelligent people?

Egypt gets debt relief because without it, it increases the risk of instability on the border of Israel. Egypt, essentially, has been bribed by successive American administrations in terms of foreign aid, military hardware and so on, ever since the Six Day War, in order to keep them sweet and partially aligned with the 'West'. All in all, it's a better deal all-round for the United States and its interests.

For a nation that likes to style itself as the leader of the 'free' world, it's often stunningly disappointing to those of us who aren't Americans, to see how ignorant many of you are about how the world works.

10. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

That's your support for your assertion - that we do an ass-ton of trade with Egypt and, by your semi advanced logical thought (to use your arrogant phrase) somehow entitles Egypt to billions in aid?

Why don't you run over to your link and see how much trade we do with England, or Canada, and let us know what your semi advanced logical thought tells you they deserve in the way of billions in aid from the US.

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Beats the heck out of trying to club them into submission.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Egypt is not a member of OPEC, nor is a top producer of oil.

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Do you really think that if Egypt collapsed the disruptions on world trade would have less of an effect on our economy than spending a bit of money to stabilize Egypt?

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Now just correct these numbers for propping up leaders and sending billions in cash and weapons along with yet another Islamic country who is going to hate the **** out of the US afterwards and the trade balances start to go the other way.

15. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Egypt is still a large trading partner with the US, with 2012 trade surpluses of just about $1B year to date.

I would still prefer to see aid like this come with significant political strings attached. Egypt is headed way to quickly toward a radical Islamist government and any financial assistance leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

Mursi will be tested here with the latest violence against the US Embassy. He supports a conversion to a government based on Sharia Law and embraces the Muslim Brotherhood. Will he really prosecute the violent protestors, or is it all just lip service?

Obama is very tolerant of Egypt however, so it likely makes no difference if Mursi makes any headway or not.

16. jeremy h macrumors 6502

I'd also just add that Egypt is a very complicated place. Most Egyptians I've met have been remarkably tolerant. Their biggest problem is poverty and corruption.

17. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If Canada or England were at risk of being destabilized then yeah it would be in our best interest to send them billions of dollars in aid to keep that from happening, however they are both quite stable so that is completely irrelevant.

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The assertion was a destabilization of the middle east is the reason we need to send billions to egypt. We only need one thing from the middle east and its not textiles.

19. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Why are you lecturing me on that? Rodimus Prime is the one suggesting that trade alone mandates US aid.

20. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Don't worry. I'm sure we'll do as we always do, spend money we don't have somewhere else.

Makes about as much sense as me taking out a mortgage to buy you a house.

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Or taking out a loan to send your kid to college.

Where's the wisdom in that?

;)

22. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Or you could do as GWB did and take a loan out to buy a tank to destroy your neighbor's house. That seems to have worked, hasn't it?

23. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I wonder if we can still afford a billion here and a billion there?

24. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Sure. Now that you are counting trillions, why not? It will all be taken in tax from future taxpayers anyhow so live large today and don't worry about tomorrow...

25. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

If Egypt collapses it's not just bad for the US, it's worse for Israel. The 1 billion in aid is a bargaining chip. You don't fall in line, you don't get the billion. Cutting off the aid would be a mistake.