1) buy NEW MBP w/ SSD or 2) buy REFURB and intel SSD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by newbie123, Sep 23, 2009.

1. newbie123 macrumors newbie

Hello, first off I'm new to mac. I need a new computer right away as I was laid-off and work wants thier computer back. My orginal plan was to wait to the MBP came out with quad cores and get a 17"...but plans have changed.

Now I'm looking at getting a MBP 13". The price for the 2 option I'm loking at comes to about the same (within $25-50).

Option 1: New MBP 13 (4mb ram) with 128gb ssd
    Option 2: Refurb MBP 13 (4mb) and purschase Intel X25M 160GB Mainstream Solid State Drive Retail Boxed SSDSA2MH160G2R5

Which do you think is the better option?

2. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

As far as I heard, the stock Apple SSDs (mostly Samsung) are not that great.
    You are better of getting an Intel or OCZ Vertex/Agility.

3. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I agree. I just think that Intel would put out Firmware updates for their drives more regularly. Doesn't matter that much i guess, but i would just want that added security.

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I'd get a less expensive machine as you don't know when you will be working again... maybe skip the SSD and go with a macbook refurb instead.

Land a great job, sell your macbook and get what you want if you decide the macbook isn't all you need...good luck.

5. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

as others have said, get the refurb, the stock mac ssd'd aren't too brilliant but for the everyday guy more then satisfactory [​IMG]