Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newbie123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
NJ
Hello, first off I'm new to mac. I need a new computer right away as I was laid-off and work wants thier computer back. My orginal plan was to wait to the MBP came out with quad cores and get a 17"...but plans have changed.

Now I'm looking at getting a MBP 13". The price for the 2 option I'm loking at comes to about the same (within $25-50).

Option 1: New MBP 13 (4mb ram) with 128gb ssd
Option 2: Refurb MBP 13 (4mb) and purschase Intel X25M 160GB Mainstream Solid State Drive Retail Boxed SSDSA2MH160G2R5

Which do you think is the better option?

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
I agree. I just think that Intel would put out Firmware updates for their drives more regularly. Doesn't matter that much i guess, but i would just want that added security.

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
Hello, first off I'm new to mac. I need a new computer right away as I was laid-off and work wants thier computer back...

I'd get a less expensive machine as you don't know when you will be working again... maybe skip the SSD and go with a macbook refurb instead.

Land a great job, sell your macbook and get what you want if you decide the macbook isn't all you need...good luck.

MacKiddyWiddy

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
as others have said, get the refurb, the stock mac ssd'd aren't too brilliant but for the everyday guy more then satisfactory
signature_SmileyFace.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.