1 day old iPhone 4s on a 2 year contract - what would you do?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pw2989, May 30, 2012.

1. pw2989 macrumors newbie

Just looking for opinions on what to do please?

Last year I've been looking at these forums, anticipating an iPhone 5 release. When the iPhone 4s came out, I decided to give it a miss, to stick with my SGS2 and to wait it out for the iPhone 5.

I broke my SGS2 at the weekend and took the plunge to order an iPhone 4s, which I've been using since yesterday.

I am really enjoying using the phone, however upon looking at the forums today, there's an ever-growing chance there may be a Summer release for the iPhone 5.

My carrier has a 7 working day cooling off period, whereby I can return the phone and cancel the contract. I have an (awful) old Nokia that I could use in the mean time.

If you was in my shoes, would you return this iPhone 4s and wait for the iPhone 5?

2. robertpetry macrumors 6502

robertpetry

I would buy a used iPhone 4 or 4s and turn around and sell it when the 5 comes out. You will take a hit in resale but not by too much. Save your contract price for a new 5.

3. 184550 Guest

I think it's unlikely that Apple would switch back to a summer iPhone release schedule.

That being said, I would still cancel the contract and wait until the sixth generation iPhone is released. If you absolutely need a smartphone in the interim, I would just go the prepaid route with Boost, Virgin, or a similar provider.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Or, similarly, keep this 4S and sell it when the new phone comes out. Then buy the new phone off-contract.

Both are good options and I don't know that either plan will be extremely cheaper than the other. Luck will play into it either way so it's hard to compare.

5. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

^ This. Using your contract subsidy now or for the next iPhone won't be significantly different as you're paying a non subsidized price for the other handset. Plus, you'll probably be able to sell the 4s for at least as much as you paid for it. I just sold a 2 yr old iPhone 4 for what I paid for it, will probably do the same when the new iPhone comes out this fall.

6. pw2989 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your advice!

My brother works in I.T and has managed to get me an HTC One X to use for one month, via his work, so I'm going to send this 4s back, use the HTC, and hopefully in one months time we'll have more idea as the when the next iPhone may be released.

Unsure what I will do if in a month's time there's no sign of a new iPhone and it looks like an October release, as I'll have to give the HTC back then, but at least I'll be one month closer to it!

7. swiftbmx macrumors regular

You should come back in a month and report your opinions of the HTC One X. MacRumors always has a healthy, civil, and pretty balanced dialogue about the difference in phones and OSes. Everyone in these conversations respects each other's opinion and people rarely choose a side and stick blindly to it. So please, report back so you can start this discourse. kthx

8. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

:D:D:D

up'd

9. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

This is excellent advice, I agree with this approach.

In my case I generally give my phones to another family member, when I upgrade each year.

It's a good way to go and insures that we are all using iPhones.

10. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

i had a similar situation except with the iPhone 4 which got stolen.

i replaced it with the 4S when i was saving for the next phone.

I'm really happy with the 4S and to be honest, unless the new phone brings some incredible new feature such as making your homework for you or prints money on its own, i won't be replacing it.

the 4S is a great phone with an amazing processor, camera and design and I'll be just happy to update to iOS 6 when it comes out and make the most of it for a year or two. the rest is all hype.

11. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

I agree to save the upgrade price for the new iPhone. Pick up a used 4S.

12. saintforlife, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012

saintforlife macrumors 6502a

Once you get used to the One X, I am not sure you will come back to the iPhone. That gorgeous 4.7" screen will suck you in and you will not be able to let it go. It will be very hard to switch back to a smaller screen device. Think about what you are doing.

13. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I would say just keep the phone. But if it's that important to you to have the latest, and already have experience with the android eco-system. An android phone should do. I just don't think it's a good idea to chase a phantom handset that's 4-5 months away. I think the iPhone 4S is a great phone with great specs and an outstanding antenna (Apple finally got the antenna thing right). Be happy you have, enjoy it. And if a new phone comes out, you'll have the option of selling it and buying the new one off contract.

14. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

You must have just been joking about the statement above. You were joking were you not ? :D

Ya, these are really Civil posts on below links.....

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1377983

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1377800