1 Dead American = 600 Dead Non-Americans (Need Source)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Shacklebolt, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

I once read that, in terms of news coverage, 1 dead American is the equivalent, on average, to 600 dead non-Americans. The statistics vary based on the nationality of the non-American (e.g. 1 dead American is worth >600 dead Rwandans, but 1 dead American is worth <600 dead Britons). But canonical number on average is 1 for 600.

Yes, obviously, it's inflammatory, etc. I do not endorse it in any way. All I'm looking for is to what the source of this statement is. Google has, so far, failed me.

Can anyone help?

2. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

well this doesn't have much to do with what you're talking about but we've killed ~4050 troops in iraq, and hundreds of thousands of iraqi civilians.

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

4. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I'm pretty sure that was a script in some movie where they save the life of one American while risking the lives of some other nationality, blah, blah, blah...

Anywho, this http://www.cursor.org/stories/afghandead.htm kind of breaks down the whole idea based on money paid out upon accidental death to different nationalities by the US.

That said, thinking that one human's life is more important than another's is nothing new, and nothing that leads to peace.

5. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

I'd like to know who started that phrase also so I can send them bunch of flaming dog crap in the mail. :mad:

@ the OP: I think you'll find the origin of the term is also racist.

If I remember my History correctly, I'm pretty sure it comes from that familiar old calculation as to how many black people are "worth" one white person. Used to be a big topic back in the 60's and people used to argue whether it was one or ten or a hundred.

6. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Basically the premise of Behind Enemy Lines.

7. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Yeah basically something like that but it they had dialogue between a senator/politician and a general/officer or something like that and they finally concluded on some number.
    Man this is really bothering me - yes the idea and the fact that I can't remember what movie it was.

8. Shacklebolt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

Um, not to kick up a fuss here, but

1. I think many people missed me saying "in terms of news coverage" and

2. It's - maybe not to the number - certainly true. About 3,000 Americans were (sadly) killed on 9/11. Over a million Rwandans lost their lives in the mid-nineties genocide. If you asked 10 random Americans, "So tell me what happened in Rwanda in 1994," how many do you think would have any idea? If you asked 10 random Americans, "So tell me what happened in the United States on September 11th, 2001?"

I think the statement got GROSSLY misinterpreted as "How many non-American lives equals one American life." That is not what I said, at all. A more accurate phrasing would be, "How many non-Americans would have to be killed to generate the same media coverage as one American being killed." I am certain that this has been addressed somewhere outside outside of a movie.

9. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

That reminds me of this:

10. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

^

That's so horrible, I had to laugh and then I felt bad about it.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Actually I believe it was pointing out the inherent racism, or more likely, Amerocentrism. What, that's a word. Apologies, though I've heard similar over the years, I can't quite remember any sources.