1 gig of RAM in all of the notebooks at the Fifth Avenue store

sir42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
418
6
NY, NY
I was playing with the MacBooks/Pro at the new Fifth Avenue store and I noticed that they all have 1 gig of RAM installed. I didn't get a chance to play with the desktops so it's possible that they have 1 gig installed as well. Nevertheless, I think this is a bit misleading if you're allowing customers to try one thing, but then selling them something else, especially without acknowledging it. And perhaps more important, if Apple recognizes that 1 gig is a more appropriate entry level for RAM to run their software, then they should really start including it standard.
 

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
2,713
487
A geographical oddity
This is a topic that has been debated on and off since before I joined a couple of years ago. I take some issue with not informing the buyer of the difference before making the sale, or offering to demo a machine without the RAM, but for the following:
1) most users that wouldn't care to check the amount of RAM in the machine aren't going to tax the system enough to notice; those who will tax the machine will probably upgrade anyway (remember that these in store machines are running memory intensive apps).
2) this really isn't any different than going to a car dealer and being shown the top of the line model for a test drive or ordering food at a restaurant after seeing the sample dishes...
 

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
1,821
0
I find this to be the case in the Apple Store Regent's street as well, its so the computers run well, when they are demo'd to customers....
If you look around though you can find the odd one with 512mb,

SHadoW
 

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
654
1
UK
I've used MacBook Pro's in Apple Bluewater, Kent (UK) that have had anything between 512Mb and 2Gb in the laptops. There was no correlation between processor speed and RAM - the high end laptop didn't have 2Gb in it.
 

timswim78

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2006
695
0
Baltimore, MD
nbs2 said:
1) most users that wouldn't care to check the amount of RAM in the machine aren't going to tax the system enough to notice; those who will tax the machine will probably upgrade anyway (remember that these in store machines are running memory intensive apps).
I do not agree with this statement. Try running Word, Safari, and iChat (probably three of the most common apps for consumer users) with 512MB (less the video RAM) on an Intel Mac and you'll quickly see that 1GB is needed.
 

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2005
842
0
I agree with the original poster. It is misleading. They should at least acknowledge it if they aren't going to make 1GB of RAM standard.
 

itsbetteronamac

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
171
0
Yeah, all the computers at my apple store (mayfair) have different amounts of RAM. But, it is usually listed on the little pricing sheet next to the system. And to note there isn't anything stopping customers from clicking the "About this mac."
 

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
1,404
1
nbs2 said:
2) this really isn't any different than going to a car dealer and being shown the top of the line model for a test drive or ordering food at a restaurant after seeing the sample dishes...

When you got the car dealer, although you might drive the highest class of whatever car it is, you are informed because its stickered right on the window when you test drive it. Although the a user can simply just goto the system preferences and check the system, the sign right next to the macbooks say something entirely different. This is misleading customers.

Ordering food at a restaurant after seeing sample isnt a good analogy at all because although they take the time to decorate it nicely, it is not like you pay more or less or gain or lose anything ,when you get your meal.
 

taytho

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2005
348
0
KC, MO
sir42 said:
I was playing with the MacBooks/Pro at the new Fifth Avenue store and I noticed that they all have 1 gig of RAM installed. I didn't get a chance to play with the desktops so it's possible that they have 1 gig installed as well. Nevertheless, I think this is a bit misleading if you're allowing customers to try one thing, but then selling them something else, especially without acknowledging it. And perhaps more important, if Apple recognizes that 1 gig is a more appropriate entry level for RAM to run their software, then they should really start including it standard.
Misleading!?

uh.... guys.... last i checked apple is a business trying to sell us something. dont most stores put out there best products for customers to use..... it isnt misleading...... come on guys.... some things just arent even worth posting about
 

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
3,766
41
wako said:
When you got the car dealer, although you might drive the highest class of whatever car it is, you are informed because its stickered right on the window when you test drive it. Although the a user can simply just goto the system preferences and check the system, the sign right next to the macbooks say something entirely different. This is misleading customers.

Ordering food at a restaurant after seeing sample isnt a good analogy at all because although they take the time to decorate it nicely, it is not like you pay more or less or gain or lose anything ,when you get your meal.
It's not misleading. People should know they can max out their computers if they want to. My mom's new G5 iMac is running fine on 512mb, so what? The better analogy is the cars on the showroom floor. They never show the base model car.
 

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
1,404
1
it becomes misleading when you have a tag next to the computer that is shows a entirely different spec than what the computer you are testing out really is.

And although people should know, many people do not. This becomes misleading.
 

skibob1027

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2006
78
0
Illinois
Misleading or not, it's just a marketing ploy.

A smart move for Apple would be to leave 512mb in their 17" iMacs, 1.83ghz Macbooks, and single-core Mac Minis. They will run alright, but not entirely great.

Then, when an Apple Store employee takes them over to the more expensive, better models (20" iMac, 2.0ghz Macbooks, dual core Minis), they will probably be more likely to "buy up".

I have no idea if this is how they do it, but it would make marketing sense...and would be misleading - but hey, welcome to American business!
 

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
24,415
124
Location Location Location
Oh geez. :rolleyes:

Several years ago, people at MR were complaining that Apple only included 256MB of RAM in their demos, which meant that OS X 10.2 (Jaguar) ran too slow and gave potential switchers the impression that Macs were slow when they really SHOULD be loaded with more RAM so that it runs to potential.

CONCLUSION: They'll never make 100% of the people happy.