1 in 4 say Bush is the worst ever

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Not only that, but apparently a lot of Republicans still like him, believe it or not!

CNN (My bold.)

72% ?!? :eek: Are you freaking kidding me? A number that big can't be explained by sheer political preference -- it suggests massive, massive political unawareness and willful blindness.

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

In this forum its probably like 3 out of 4 people think Bush is the worst ever.

Many publications list Bush as the worst ever.

This post article compares him with James Polk.

Maybe thats what skunk is talking about when he says the Americans stole Mexico.

3. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Actually, until 1793, Mexico was a part of the African continent. George Washington's Steampunkt division liberated the land mass, originally as an offering to British interests after the "Citizen Genêt affair".

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm surprised it's that small still. Only 1 in 4. Of course, there are apparently fewer people willing to admit they're Republicans, and among them only 72% still like him. Of course only 12% of Dems like him, again that actually seems kinda high, but it's the independents that are the most important. Only 27% of them like him. That's astounding. That's worse than Nixon.

Of course, this is where someone comes in here telling us that polls are meaningless, despite the obvious fact that they are actually very telling.

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well only like 30% or so of the population are Republicans. The largest % of people are independents. So if you take that into account that 72% is less than 25% of the total population.

6. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

Who are all these people who feel like America has been getting better for the last seven years? :confused:

7. Queso macrumors G4

Halliburton shareholders? :p

8. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Like him? Not really, although I'm pleased with a few things. Prefer him to Gore or Kerry? Absolutely.

Mexico had already been stolen by the Spanish. We just took it from them.

9. pdham macrumors member

Of course you do...

Bush makes you pay for ridiculous un-winnable wars, but Gore or Kerry might make you pay for the health and welfare of disadvantaged poor people.

The choice is obvious really

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

What few things are those? Im trying as hard as I can to think of anything he has done for our country, its people or on upholding the constitution. He is a pathetic Corporate puppet who has been busy killing off the middle class, selling out our country at every chance while creating a war of his doing while never catching the guy who did 911. He's a draft dodging Bum who thinks Torture is justified and a Hypocrite. Almost every word he utters is twisted truthiness. Im ashamed he is my president.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

He has a nice dog. Hardly ever wet the carpet in the Oval Office. (The dog, not the President.)

He also never diddled an intern, at least as far as we know.

So many things to like.

12. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Being 25, I have only observed the presidencies of the first George Bush, Clinton, and now the second Bush. The second Bush is a disaster. I'm not sure if he's stupid or evil, but the results all the same are disastrous. Why would the neocons like him? He didn't get tough on border immigration like he said he would. Which makes me think he's smart enough to realize that our NAFTA agreement with Mexico along with corporate farm subsidies mean that America sells corn cheaper in Mexico than Mexico can sell corn to itself--meaning lots of displaced Mexicans have to come up to the US to work for huge corporations.

In every facet of government you look at be it healthcare, education, the military, social security, George Bush works for corporations. Health care has got to stay private. Education has to be standardized to make minions for corporate america. The military has to be at war to provide billions to the military industrial complex. Social security has to go private to give money to drug companies.

He's a corporate shill. And evil. Or stupid. Or both.

13. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

don't you mean all three of them ;)

and about the corporate bit...did you know that president bush has shares in oil...and do you know how much his shares have increased during his presidency?

just an open question.........

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

For the fiscal conservatives the economy isn't that great, the dollar is losing value, and the national debt is skyrocketing. For the social conservatives nothing has really changed for the better for you either. Abortion, homosexuality, church and state. Actually, thanks to the screwups of GW and the former GOP Congress, people are swinging the other way on practically anything the Republicans touch anymore. For those who think the war on terror is important, and many of us still do, since they're screwing that up too, all the more reason to dislike them. Not that the Dems are a whole lot better right now, but at least they don't seem to be actively making everything worse. As reflected in poll where people do give the Congress low marks, but trust the Dems more overall with every policy. So really, yeah, I don't see how anyone would actually like him and this administration, but some of you still defend him for some reason. Noticing no one gave any good examples though.

And if you're only defense is that he's better than someone else might have possibly been (not that we actually know, since they weren't given the chance), I'd say that's a pretty weak defense.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Not entirely true. The social conservatives have a real shot at overturning Roe v Wade, and the anti-working-folk types have a new pair of genuine heros sitting on the SCOTUS.

Those two nominations were the culmination of 30+ years of conservative effort, realized under the Bush presidency.

16. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

What has Bush done that has pleased you? I'm really curious.

I absolutely do not understand why you think this.

17. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

What always kills me about conservative nominations to SCOTUS is that they end up being liberal. In recent history, only Rehnquist and Scalia have upheld their conservative values. If we look at the composition of the court for the past several decades, it's been overwhelmingly Repulbican-nominated, and yet, the Court remains moderately liberal in many ways. Justices like O'Conner and Kennedy have helped the liberal wing win some important victories recently:

Lawrence v Texas (Lee will care about this one)

Roper v Simmons- bans death penalty for minors

Atkins v Virginia- bans death penalty for the mentally ill

and a few others as well. Personally, I think that Roberts will become a more liberal justice as time goes on. He's adopted his children, and he fought a case that helped gay couples adopt children in his legal past; not exactly a true conservative. I'm just waiting for Bush to leave office so he can pull an Earl Warren on us:D

Back to the topic at hand:

I'm very shocked that 72% of Republicans support him. I hope to god that that's a polling error.

18. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

The appointments to the Supreme Court, the response to 9/11 in Afganistan, tax cuts just to name a few things.

And no matter what I say, you probably never will.

19. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Well, bush is losing many friends in the military, a place where Presidents usually do well. Perhaps it is because of reasons like this.

From Crooks & Liars:

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

You can fall back to cynicism all you want.

Lay it out, why is Bush better than a theoretical Gore or Kerry. What key difference did Bush make in the first days of Afghanistan?

I don't see how anyone in the office would have prosecuted the first days of the fight in Afghanistan, so I don't know if this is really a fair assessment of Bush's particular ability to lead, except simply be quiet long enough for US SOCOM to get in there. However, don't you consider the period after that initial success problematic? Would this color your view of the entire Afghanistan affair if we were to lose control of the country entirely and the Taliban roared back into power?

As for tax cuts, we've had this argument before, and I think we're at political odds with his choices for SCOTUS, but this doesn't seem like much to hang your hat on. Especially considering the administration's failures and scandals.

If this is the sum total of Bush's positive attributes, two conservative judges, a short-term success, and a little money in your pocket, color me unimpressed.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I can see why you'd like the SCOTUS positions, but the others don't make sense. We pulled resources from the 'stans to go to Iraq before we were finished, not that our troops had the resources they needed to begin with. Like armor and exit strategies. I don't know if you've noticed, but we're losing in Afghanistan now, and never really had Pakistan, but that's going even more to Hell, while we continue to support them. Not to mention that Bin Laden guy Bush isn't too concerned with (his words, not mine). As far as the tax cuts, my taxes haven't really changed much, meanwhile we're getting far less for our money, and what we do get seems to be nothing but incompetence. Plus, costs continue to skyrocket. As does our debt. I don't see how a couple hundred extra dollars a year makes that ok.

It would help if you expanded. Maybe even backed it up. Or, you know, based your opinion on reality. I mean, you're really going to use Afghanistan as a win? Really? Have you not been paying attention to what's going on over there recently? Uh, we aren't making things any better. Plus, now they want to go to Iran, which is a whole other kettle of fish we can't handle.

Which also proves how badly things have been going, since we have neither the resources, nor the credibility, to deal with any other threats, real or perceived.

What else is he going to do, he's got nothing else.

You're never going to get that.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Socially conservative values maybe. But both Alito and Roberts have shown no signs of being anything other than a great friend to established business interests.

And after all, when it comes down to brass tacks, that's the most important constituency to TPTB in the GOP; despite what the "values voters" may try to tell you.

23. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Let's be fair. Bush is not making us pay for ridiculous un-winnable wars. He's borrowing money to pay for them so that our children and grandchildren will have to pay for his ridiculous un-winnable wars.

I don't know if everyone's kids are like mine (a 3 year old and a 7 month old) but they are just freeloaders. They don't do any housework, CPS won't let them run the lawnmower anymore, I can't force them to work (once again, thank you, CPS), and eBay keeps shutting down my attempts to auction them off. I love the idea that they will have to pay for this president's mistakes for years while I'm either retired or dead.

24. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

It is true that we'll never know just how ineffectual that Gore or Kerry would have been had they been president.

The judges are gifts that keep giving and the money in my pocket is not "little".

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Unfortunately we had to find out just how awful a President W is.

I'm curious as to why you feel the judges are good choices. So far, they've shown they care more about ideology than upholding the law. But then again, maybe that's why you like them.