Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

1 million tunes sold

backspinner

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2002
Eindhoven
from http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2003/may/05musicstore.html

iTunes Music Store Sells Over One Million Songs in First Week

CUPERTINO, California—May 5, 2003—Apple® today announced that its revolutionary iTunes® Music Store sold over one million songs during its first week. Over half of the songs were purchased as albums, dispelling concerns that selling music on a per-track basis will destroy album sales. In addition, over half of the 200,000 songs offered on the iTunes Music Store were purchased at least once, demonstrating the breadth of musical tastes served by Apple's groundbreaking online store. Apple also reported that over one million copies of iTunes 4 have been downloaded, and that it has received orders for over 110,000 new third-generation iPods since their introduction a week ago, with music lovers snapping up more than 20,000 of them from stores in the U.S. this weekend.

“In less than one week we’ve broken every record and become the largest online music company in the world,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “Apple has created the first complete solution for the digital music age—you can purchase your favorite music online at the iTunes Music Store, mix your favorite tracks into playlists with iTunes, and take your entire music collection with you everywhere with the super-slim new iPods.”

“Hitting one million songs in less than a week was totally unexpected,” said Roger Ames, Warner Music Group’s chairman and CEO. “Apple has shown music fans, artists and the music industry as a whole that there really is a successful and easy way of legally distributing music over the Internet.”

“Our internal measure of success was having the iTunes Music Store sell one million songs in the first month. To do this in one week is an over-the-top success,” said Doug Morris, Universal Music Group’s CEO. “Apple definitely got it right with the iTunes Music Store.”

Apple also announced that tomorrow, May 6, the iTunes Music Store will be adding over 3,200 new tracks, including major new album releases such as Jack Johnson’s “On and On,” Andrea Bocelli’s “Tosca” and Fleetwood Mac’s “Say You Will,” as well as pre-release tracks from upcoming albums by artists David Sanborn, The RH Factor, John Scofield, Jesse Harris and Lizz Wright. Also to be added tomorrow are additional albums from the Eagles, Michelle Branch’s album “The Spirit Room,” and new Featured Artist pages for Coldplay, including an exclusive track and music video, and Alanis Morissette, with her catalog of music.

The iTunes Music Store features over 200,000 songs from major music companies including BMG, EMI, Sony Music Entertainment, Universal, and Warner and lets customers quickly find, purchase and download the music they want for just 99 cents per song. The iTunes Music Store offers groundbreaking personal use rights that allow users to burn songs onto an unlimited number of CDs for personal use, listen to songs on an unlimited number of iPods, play songs on up to three Macintosh® computers, and use songs in other applications on the Mac®, including iPhoto™, iMovie™ and iDVD™.

Music lovers can easily find the hits they love and discover gems they’ve never heard before by listening to free 30-second high-quality previews of any song in the store, then purchase and download their favorite songs or complete albums in pristine digital quality with just one click. Users can explore music in an entirely new way by easily searching the entire music store to instantly locate any song by title, artist or album, or browse the entire collection of songs by genre, artist and album. The iTunes Music Store is fully integrated into iTunes 4, the fourth major release of Apple’s popular digital music jukebox software, allowing users to purchase, download, organize and listen to their music using just one application.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Apple is committed to bringing the best personal computing experience to students, educators, creative professionals and consumers around the world through its innovative hardware, software and Internet offerings.

jethroted

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2003
Cyberspace
Good for apple! I hope this helps them make some more money so that they can reduce the cost of their hardware! That would be good news for all of us.

Comment

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
That is too cool! I really like the service. I am glad that it will be staying around....

Comment

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
The best part is that this means the music companies will be opening up more of their libraries, allowing for more depth. Sweet!

Comment

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
fantastic!

and all you people out there that thought it wouldn't work, bollocks to ya :)

as for the windows version, bollocks to them too, i'm not sure i want that crowd in our domain, look what they did to hotline for example. also, it's one more reason to get a mac if they can't use the store on their pc...(i know i know, it's a good thing really right?)

Comment

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
I personally would like to see them open it up to a few more countries, ASAP... At least Canada. They can't be that different from the US on copyright laws.... :)

But All around great news for Apple!! I guess the prelimiary scores is:

SJ 1
doubters 0

Comment

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Sweeeet! Well I did my part, spreading out my purchases. Bought 3 on the first day, 7 on the second day, and 6 yesterday. Pretty good, considering the last time I purchased a CD was 3 years ago. I'm definitely buying any new releases I want from the iTunes store if they are available. One of the factors that I haven't heard discussed is that people will probably buy more music because of the convenience of doing it online. So it's win-win all around.

Comment

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Well once again the critics were wrong! ;) Congratulations Steve! Once Fall comes and it's availabe for Windows, watch out Bill!

Comment

NitzerX

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2003
Originally posted by Stelliform
I personally would like to see them open it up to a few more countries, ASAP... At least Canada. They can't be that different from the US on copyright laws.... :)

But All around great news for Apple!! I guess the prelimiary scores is:

SJ 1
doubters 0

There's been plenty of other things that SJ has beat the doubters on. His only misstep I can think of off the top of my head is the cube. The problem there was the price, not the design. The design was awesome!

Comment

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
I'm still waiting for Dell to launch a muci service for PCs and say they were the first.

This ios great, I hope Apple can be a leader for a long time because you know others will copy this service to it's core.

Comment

Qball

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2003
Jack Johnson's new CD will be available at The Store on it's release date. Plus 3,200 other new tracks. I was concerned that I would not be able to get new albums on their release date, but it looks like Apple is on top of it. Not bad at all.

Just wait till this thing is on Windows. $$$ for Apple, $$$ for musicians and record companies = major respect and clout for Apple.

Comment

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
While this is very impressive lets not count our chickens before they've hatched. Numbers 6 and 12 months from now will tell the real story. Right now the Store is doing mega business 'cause people have that "Oooo... shiny new toy" mind set. After the novelty<sp?> wear's off hopefully the numbers will still remain solid.

Lethal

Comment

phantommaul

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2002
istanbul,Turkey
apple have to move fast

apple now looks for software developers to make the windowzzz version of iTunes (which would be really great news like PC slaves like me). but if apple waits till the end of 2003 the other companies would start up their own music store services and get the market share.

so if apple wants to be the leader of digital music they have to release the win version of iTunes really soon. and they have to start up the music store service for the other countries.

and apple, please dont forget Turkey :)

Comment

copperpipe

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2002
this headline is for everyone who said it wouldn't work

Guess what - people do want to legally purchase their music, so the musicians get their cut. Steve got it right, it's such a great delivery system, and now I buy music again (and save money - $10/album is much more reasonable to me). It's just really heartening to me to know that people want to do the right thing, and not steal from artists (blech, it just makes me sick to think that you steal from people who make songs - songs! songs that you love!). Hoo-ray for Apple!

Comment

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
Re: this headline is for everyone who said it wouldn't work

Originally posted by copperpipe
Guess what - people do want to legally purchase their music, so the musicians get their cut.

That is exactly it! And here is another thought to consider.... I am a businessman. No way of getting around it, I always dress nice because I do not know what business contact I might bump into. Here is my problem, I like music that doesn't fit into that persona. I really get embarrassed buying the music I like. I think that is part of the reason I stopped buying CD's... Now I can buy whatever I want and not worry about looking foolish in front of a client. Or trying to pass the CD off as I am buying it for someone else...

(I know ya'll are wondering, so here goes... I like different stuff like, korn, garbage, some of No doubt, beck, Bloodhound gang...)

Comment

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002

it just makes me sick to think that you steal from people who make songs - songs! songs that you love!

this should be in an apple commercial. this is such a good point.

Comment

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
Gees! 1 million songs! And remember, people, this is with 95% of the computing market using other os's. That means if a quarter of all americans have a computer (using 280 million as the american population) and 2% of all computers run os 10.2, then 1.4 million people are running os x. Now, imagine that 90% of computers are running windows. That's 63 million.

I know these numbers are way off, but the percentage increase is about right. If windows users have a fraction of the responce mac users did, this service will make so much money......

Comment

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Re: apple have to move fast

Originally posted by phantommaul
... if apple waits till the end of 2003 the other companies would start up their own music store services and get the market share.

so if apple wants to be the leader of digital music they have to release the win version of iTunes really soon. and they have to start up the music store service for the other countries.
If I was SJ I wouldn't mind telling people I had a target date of end-of-year for getting iTunes for windows going, then magically roll it out several months early...
Just a thought

Comment

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
I agree with all of the novelty comments. Intrests will die down eventually. However, I only planned on downloading 1 song, and I ended up downloading 3. :)

But even if sales drop tremendously, say 10x, the introduction of a Windows client as well as an international version would more than outweight such a drop. Plus you would have that same novelty effect on all of those new customers.

All in all, this is VERY good news. For Apple's stock (AAPL) is up about $1.75, over twelve percent!!!

Comment

backspinner

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2002
Eindhoven
Originally posted by zap23
If windows users have a fraction of the responce mac users did, this service will make so much money......
At work we have about 7 people and 30 Windows computers. I guess it doesn't scale the way you think.

Comment

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
so. 1 million dollars (basically) in sales... and apple gets 35% of that if i recall correctly? not bad at all

i think the thing to remember about other companies coming out with a windows version is that, while possible, it's not like it's an "easy" task... so if apple's been working on the infrastructure, and now "just" need to get the windows version rolled out (while of course fine tuning and adding songs), then they still have the upperhand. of course, a huge pc company could throw a ton of money at it and get it done sooner. but who knows if it'd be done as well (most likely not). we'll see in a few months.

Comment

york2600

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
Portland, OR

Go to shopping.yahoo.com and buy CDs for 8-12 a pop. I usually get 6 CDs for about 65 shipped. CDs aren't that expensive if you buy them in the right place. You get ripped when you buy them retail.

Guess what - people do want to legally purchase their music, so the musicians get their cut. Steve got it right, it's such a great delivery system, and now I buy music again (and save money - $10/album is much more reasonable to me). It's just really heartening to me to know that people want to do the right thing, and not steal from artists (blech, it just makes me sick to think that you steal from people who make songs - songs! songs that you love!). Hoo-ray for Apple!

Comment

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Re: Re: this headline is for everyone who said it wouldn't work

Originally posted by york2600
Go to shopping.yahoo.com and buy CDs for 8-12 a pop. I usually get 6 CDs for about 65 shipped. CDs aren't that expensive if you buy them in the right place. You get ripped when you buy them retail.

i agree.. that's how i buy my cds in any decent quantity... the key difference really is that it's not instant. which usually is ok. but often one wants to pick up the latest album by whoever and you want it right away... i know i've paid 18 bucks on release day when i could've waited til a show or to buy it online for 12..

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.