1 of two drives failed in my external, but I can't access the one that is OK...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by drummerboy03, Nov 17, 2013.

1. drummerboy03 macrumors member

I had two 1.5TB drives in an OWC enclosure. I had it formatted as 'Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)' so that it showed up as one 3TB volume when it was mounted.

One of the 1.5TB drives failed yesterday (makes a loud noise when trying to spin up). I suspect the other 1.5TB drive is completely fine as it does not make any odd noises when I remove it and plug it into a single HD slot enclosure.

the problem I'm having now is that I cannot access any of the data on the 1.5TB drive that I suspect is OK...... it does not mount, but it DOES show up in Disk Utility. When I try to verify or repair permissions, i get the following error:

"partition map check failed because no slices were found"

I even tried Disk Warrior, but the drive does not show up in the list.

any help would be GREATLY appreciated!! thank you!

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. ColdCase macrumors 68030

When one of my drives in my owc enclosure failed I sent it back to owc and they replaced the drive. When it got back to me I could see all the files on the good drive but all files on the failed drive disappeared and were lost.

In my case I had purchased the drives with the enclosure, so it was under warranty.

4. drummerboy03 thread starter macrumors member

dangit...

I had backed up all the raw GoPro video footage recently, so i at least have that... but i had spent hours editing down that raw footage in an iMovie project that was stored on that drive ;(

was hoping there would be a way to recover some data from the 1 working drive, but it sounds like with RAID 0, it is distributing the data across both drives.

so i'm for sure out of luck? in other words, i should cut my losses and reformat the 1 drive that still works and start to rebuild my life haha?

thanks for the quick response/input!

----------

thanks for the input.. i bought the enclosure separate from the drives

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Yes, that's your only choice.

First though, go get a 3TB-4TB USB drive and set up Time Machine.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

7. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

RAID0 and Spanned Drives always need a backup as any failure destroys the whole structure. RAID1 does provide resilience against a single drive failure, but it also isn't a backup. IMO get a simple USB drive and make a mirror. Even Time Machine will fail as it's only a single drive.

8. Fishrrman macrumors G4

[[ was hoping there would be a way to recover some data from the 1 working drive, but it sounds like with RAID 0, it is distributing the data across both drives.
    so i'm for sure out of luck? in other words, i should cut my losses and reformat the 1 drive that still works and start to rebuild my life haha? ]]

RAID _is not_ a backup.

Be governed accordingly, in the future.

Live and learn...

9. drummerboy03 thread starter macrumors member