Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
When I first got the retina MacBook, the battery was 5297 mAh out of the box.

The maximum battery now is 95% of that at 5028 mAh in less than a week. I have calibrated it once without any improvement, rather it is getting lower each day. I've kept it on its charger (through Apple USBC-HDMI-USB dongle) the whole time other than 1 calibration, despite it showing 4 cycles (it came out of the box with 3 cycles). If you download the free 'Battery Health' app from the App Store or 'Coconut Battery' from the web, those are a few methods to test your battery health.

FYI: 12" Retina MacBook / Gold / 512GB / 1.2 Ghz.

I look forward to comparing results.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
My wife's base rMB is about 97% of full capacity after 8 cycles. We got it on Monday.

Cvx5832

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2014

The maximum battery now is 95% of that at 5028 mAh in less than a week. I have calibrated it once without any improvement, rather it is getting lower each day. I've kept it on its charger (through Apple USBC-HDMI-USB dongle) the whole time other than 1 calibration, despite it showing 4 cycles (it came out of the box with 3 cycles). If you download the free 'Battery Health' app from the App Store or 'Coconut Battery' from the web, those are a few methods to test your battery health.

I saw your posts a few days ago. You were worried about high temps being reported by Coconut Battery, then stressed out about high scores reported by GeekBench. Now you're concerning yourself about battery health.

I like those tools too but don't let them get in the way of enjoying that $1800 machine. You have a year's warranty to watch over you!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

The maximum battery now is 95% of that at 5028 mAh in less than a week.
Your battery is fine. It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. The gradual decline is not in a straight line downward, and it may decline more rapidly at some times and slower at others. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.
The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.
I have calibrated it once without any improvement, rather it is getting lower each day.
The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries in older Apple notebooks.

Reactions: iBilal and Queen6

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015

Can you keep us posted on this? Like maybe every two weeks or so?

Will be interesting, the only laptop I ever had that displayed that type of behavior, but over months of time, was a Lenovo laptop that ran warm/hot. Batteries degrade faster at higher temperatures. The price you pay in some ultraportables for the form factor, especially those with fanless design.

I wouldn't read too much into it just yet... Enjoy your laptop and don't worry about that. at least you have AppleCare yeah? And all MacBooks come with a standard one year warranty...

----------

I should add that the battery capacity loss with the Lenovo I had was way bigger than any other laptop I owned around the same time or later. All batteries will lose full charge capacity over time, regardless of cycle count. That's why it's always recommended to store this type of battery at less than full charge in a cool environment.

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
I saw your posts a few days ago. You were worried about high temps being reported by Coconut Battery, then stressed out about high scores reported by GeekBench. Now you're concerning yourself about battery health.

I like those tools too but don't let them get in the way of enjoying that $1800 machine. You have a year's warranty to watch over you!

Yes, that was me. Actually, Coconut Battery was giving me a warning of my battery too hot which is why I was concerned at that time. I wasn't concerned about my Geekbench score but rather surprised it's so high at 6270. And yes, the battery health is concerning me because I have previously owned 2 MBP and 2 MBA and none of them lost 5% battery in less than a week, rather in some cases it went up or stayed within 2-3% of the original capacity after some time. That's why I was concerned and curious what others are getting as their battery health capacity and percentage.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
FWIW, Battery Health reports:

Current Max 5283
Original Max 5297
Health 100%
Cycles 5

I've owned it since Monday 4/13

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I also own the Retina Macbook since last Friday and my battery health is 96%. I have owned other MacBooks but this happens for the first time. I hope it won't continue losing capacity like that.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I also own the Retina Macbook since last Friday and my battery health is 96%. I have owned other MacBooks but this happens for the first time. I hope it won't continue losing capacity like that.
It won't. Read post #4.

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Mine is 5018 mAh. I have used it for four months and about 30 battery cycles. It is normal.

MUBiomed

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010
I'm down to 91% after 38 cycles. It has to be less than 80% to be replaced per my understanding but that seems like a lot faster drop than I have seen with my other MacBooks.

TyWahn

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2003
What are you looking at? I am curious about mine. I have had it for abut three weeks.

MUBiomed

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010
What are you looking at? I am curious about mine. I have had it for abut three weeks.

You can see it under your system info or if you have coconut battery or istat installed it will show up under battery health.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
If you download the free 'Battery Health' app from the App Store or 'Coconut Battery' from the web, those are a few methods to test your battery health.

I run Windows 10 under Boot Camp, I don't know how to use OSX nor do I want to.

Are these apps available for Windows?

BJ

Queen6

macrumors G4
98.8% (5234 mAh) 17 Cycles, over four months of use. From the chart below the data is clear, batteries wear and are a consumable item. Some need to stop worrying about issues that don't exist, if your MacBook has an issue with the battery it will be obvious early into the Notebooks life and Apple will replace it under warranty in short enjoy and use your Mac as intended.
Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 13.25.34.png

Q-6

Reactions: BoneHead001

WickedPorter

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
FYI for this thread ...

I've had mine since early July. It appears the maximum battery capacity has "leveled out" right around ~4920mAh... it's been hovering around this number for the last six weeks. Design Capacity states 5297mAh.

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
98.8% (5234 mAh) 17 Cycles, over four months of use. From the chart below the data is clear, batteries wear and are a consumable item. Some need to stop worrying about issues that don't exist, if your MacBook has an issue with the battery it will be obvious early into the Notebooks life and Apple will replace it under warranty in short enjoy and use your Mac as intended.
View attachment 581840

Q-6
Queen6, I love reading your posts. I learn a lot.

MUBiomed

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010
Just took this now. Curious where others numbers are hanging out?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-18 at 8.17.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-18 at 8.17.17 PM.png
    93.8 KB · Views: 215

ericv

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2015
My rMB is 16 days old. Down to 94% health @ 5 cycles. I am keeping an eye on it. My 11 month old 13" rMBP is at 95% @ 57 cycles.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
My rMB is 16 days old. Down to 94% health @ 5 cycles. I am keeping an eye on it. My 11 month old 13" rMBP is at 95% @ 57 cycles.
only 57 cycles in a whole year ?
It takes no more than 3 months for me ...
Are you keeping the MacBook always plugged in ? That's non very good for the battery.

BTW to judge a battery after 5 cycles isn't a right thing to do. Wait at least 20 cycles.

ericv

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2015
only 57 cycles in a whole year ?
It takes no more than 3 months for me ...
Are you keeping the MacBook always plugged in ? That's non very good for the battery.

BTW to judge a battery after 5 cycles isn't a right thing to do. Wait at least 20 cycles.

I said I was keeping an eye on it. According to @GGJstudios & Apple leaving it plugged in doesn't hurt it at all.

Reactions: BoneHead001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.