1 Week Macbook Pro 2.2Ghz Sandy Bridge Quad Core 8gb Ram is really slow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jnd3344, Apr 5, 2011.

1. jnd3344, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011

jnd3344 macrumors newbie

I dont know whats going on but the color wheel keeps appearing constantly when using safari and other applications which seems weird to me having these specs. I also restored it with time machine with the backup from my old computer. Might it be some malware or something? Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

Have a look at Activity Monitor (Applications / Utilities /) and select All Processes and sort by CPU to see what the culprit may be.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]

Also take a look at the Disc Activity section at the bottom of Activity Monitor.

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

The slowness is probably caused by HDD activity, since it's very hard to bottleneck a HT-enabled quad core CPU.

If you look in the screenshot above, along the bottom is a row of buttons. Select the middle, 'Disk Activity' and see if the chart is displaying a lot of activity, also check the bottom left stats: Reads in/sec, Writes out/sec.

4. jnd3344 thread starter macrumors newbie

i restarted my mac, gonna wait till it starts freezing/hanging again so i can take the activity monitor screenshots

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

6. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

7. jnd3344 thread starter macrumors newbie

no whats that?

8. harcosparky macrumors 68020

When I had the beach ball that seemed to never want to go away, we ( Apple and myself ) did all the various resets, disk permissions and whatnot.

I did them first at home, then went to the Apple Store where they ran one test and declared the HDD to be a candidate for replacement.

Left it there, picked it up a day later and the problem never reappeared.

9. bubbacaster macrumors newbie

bubbacaster

Unless you look at the Activity Monitor (as some other posters have suggested), there is really no way to know what the problem is. Start with that...

10. dayinalife macrumors newbie

dayinalife

out of curiosity, what hard drive do you have?

11. lundh macrumors newbie

Sounds very strange, I got the exact same setup (2.2, 8 GB) and it really is an amazing machine. I use Chrome, not Safari but I have not seen any swap outs at all so far. No color wheel either for that matter.

It might still be the hard drive but that should mostly affect the application load time and browsing through files, not web browsing. What you are experiencing is not normal and I would probably just take it back and ask someone to have a look.

You could have a look at the Disk Activity page in Activity Monitor and see if anything special happens there while you see the beach ball.

12. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Check spotlight too. That can really bog things down if not working properly. My gut says you have a problematic hard drive, though.

13. jnd3344 thread starter macrumors newbie

what do you mean with checking spotlight and yeah my hard drive is 720gb and have abotu 250gb used right now

14. simsaladimbamba

I presume all the other tips haven't brought much help?

Spotlight is visible in Activity Monitor and the process is called "mds".

15. jnd3344 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah this is appearing and using 215mbs

16. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

That number is completely reasonable. Have you used disk utility to verify the status of your hard drive?

utilities > disk utility > verify disk

17. golgo1313 macrumors regular

i found that firefox 4 slowed the machine down like molasses. i don't know why... it starts out fine, but within an hour of usage, the whole machine slows down.

18. simsaladimbamba

To be honest, you don't give much information back. We give you advise to monitor your Mac and you don't return the appropriate information. Thus we will walk in circles.
    Can you please tell us which steps you have done yet?
    SMC or PRAM reset?
    Activity Monitor and sorted by CPU and RAM usage?
    Looked at Activity Monitor > Disk Activity and looked at the "Data read or written / sec", and Activity > System Memory and looked for "Page Outs" and "Page Ins"?

Btw, "mbs" is not short for the plural of MegaByte (MB) and can be confused with Megabit (Mb) per second (Mb/s or Mbps) or MegaByte per second (MBps or MB/s).

19. jnd3344 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok here is all the information you could possibly need ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. simsaladimbamba

Thanks.

From those images I can't see anything wrong, but others may differ.
    It might be a bad HDD after all. Can you look at Disk Utility > S.M.A.R.T. status (at the bottom of the window) and report back?
    Do you have an Apple Store or Apple Certified Repair Centre in your area?

21. jnd3344 thread starter macrumors newbie

why are there 5.86gb of used ram, thats actually low most of the time its in the 6's and the 7's. My previous macbook used to have 4gb ram and i would run the same processes and it as alaways less than 3gb ram or something

22. simsaladimbamba

Sort by "Real Memory" to see where the RAM goes to. Just know, that 256MB is used by the Intel HD IGP.

23. jnd3344 thread starter macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

24. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

Flash in Safari is eating up your RAM, dude. Whatever you're running...kill Safari.