1 week with the new MBP 2016 16” i7 2.9Ghz R460 1TB SSD Space Grey

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jitgill, Dec 11, 2016.

1. jitgill, Dec 11, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2016

jitgill macrumors member

jitgill

Just a little background. I have been a PC tech since I was in my teens in one capacity or another. Help Desk, Field tech, server tech, fiber tech, network tech and now in ITSM. I started with DOS 3 or 4 and Windows 2.0. I have supported almost all OSs and PCs, Wintel, Mac, Unix, Linux. I had always been a Wintel person until about 5 years ago with my first Mac purchase of a late 2011 MBP 15”. Since then I have been a huge Apple fan and integrated into the Apple ecosystem. I like macs most because I can support Windows, Mac and Linux all on one PC.

I went from the Late 2011 BTO top of the line MBP to the top of the line Late 2016 MBP less 2TB SSD. I absolutely love this thing, from the keyboard to Touch Bar at least for my purposes. There are some issues I have, as nothing is perfect. Keep in mind I am comparing this to my Late 2011 MBP.

Pros:

· Very fast, sexy and a work of Art, a pleasure to look at, even when closed.

· I enjoy using the keyboard, it took about 2 days to get use too, but I now like it much more than the 2011 MBP keyboard.

· The trackpad is fantastic and I have ditched my external mouse, except when playing a game like WOW, which admittedly is about the only game I play, and that occasionally (once or twice a month), so a mouse is handy for that.

· The screen is beautiful, bright and vibrant, not much more I can say about that.

· The touch bar is quite useful for me. I play the guitar and use Garage Band, using it for guitar effects is a breeze with the touch bar as I can change effects and Amp models on the fly. As more apps use the TB, I can see this being a big productivity booster. Can’t wait for apple to update MainStage 3 to use the touch bar.

· The Radeon 460 graphics card is a huge improvement over the 2011 as one would expect being is it quite a few generation newer. Playing WoW on the MBP 2011 at the Ultra settings I got about 5 FPS, with the 2016 I got about 25 FPS and 40+ FPS at High settings, so it’s quite playable. This is not a gaming system, but it’s a nice bonus for me to be able to play WoW at the near highest settings.

· Battery life is OK, I got about 7 hours of mixed use, web surfing, Netflix, music, word and a little WoW, maybe about 1 hour of playing.

· Less things to plug in. Went from all ports being used when in the office. Network, both USB and DisplayPort to HDMI to just 1 small multiport hub (2 USB-A, Network, HDMI and USC-C pass though for power) and only one USB-C pluged into the 1 MBP port. Quite the opposite of dongle hell for me. Just unplug 1 USB-C cable and I am out of the office.

Cons:

· Very expensive, but Apple set the price, so if I don’t like it, I don’t have to buy it. However, if I keep this MBP as long as I have kept the 2011, this is a fantastic purchase. I had never kept a windows Laptop for more than 2 years. Desktops sure, as I could update components, but not Laptops.

· I think it is very rude of Apple not to include a USB-C cable with the purchase of an extra charger. No excuse and is showing a greedy side.

I have not really found anything else I dislike about the new MBP, I realise its only been a week. But then again I am not a power user, however I do use it for both work and play. For my uses, this is a fantastic purchase with no regrets or remorse.

2. Raptura macrumors 6502

Raptura

Nice review. Gonna have the same spec, minus the SSD, as you soon.

Have you noticed any graphical issues?
    How's palm rejection on the trackpad been for you?

3. jitgill thread starter macrumors member

jitgill

I do have that the graphics glitch that lasts about 1/2 second at boot up across the bottom of the screen. This is because I have FileVault turned on. This should be fixed in the next update from what i have seen. Other then that nothing, and the fans are quiet, and down right silent compared to the Jet engine noise my 2011 MBP made :)

No issues at all with palm rejection. I have not clicked anything with my palm by mistake yet. Its really quite intuitive. If I just rest my palm in the track pad..nothing...however if I keep pressing down with my palm adding more pressure, it will start clicking.

4. Raptura macrumors 6502

Raptura

Thanks for the feedback!
    I use tap to click, do you? Wondering if tap to click has issues with palms.

5. jitgill thread starter macrumors member

jitgill

No I do not use Tap to click, I make too many mistakes :).

6. vance09 macrumors regular

I had written a thread on the power adapter and apple fixed me up

7. jitgill thread starter macrumors member

jitgill

Really, that's cool. Do you have the link to the thread?

8. vance09 macrumors regular

9. vance09 macrumors regular

I basically told apple the 2016 MBP power adapter was unsafe, could droop and maybe fall out of a receptacle smashing it or cause a shock
    or become a fire hazard. The MBP 2015 came with the extension as part of the package , why did they opt it out and make it a chargeable extra option at 25.00
    The senior advisor agreed and my extension is on the way

10. EmkwanTV macrumors member

EmkwanTV

Thanks for posting up your thoughts. I have exactly the same Mac configuration as your self. Curious to know what kind of battery life you are getting atm?

11. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

I like everything except the large trackpad. If you have tap to click enabled (and I always do), I keep hitting it while typing and causing myself to mess up (I mean not too often, but when typing a large body of text, yes) and it's annoying. I don't have big stupid hands either, I'm just typing the way I always have, but guess I'll have to change my typing habits somebow. But oh well, it's sort of a minor complaint.

Otherwise I couldn't imagine a better laptop on the market right now.

12. EmkwanTV macrumors member

EmkwanTV

Hows your battery life?

13. shadow82x macrumors 6502

I have the same configuration and the battery life..is not good. I get between 4-6 hours on a charge doing normal Safari web browsing. Curious to know if this has anything to do with the beefier CPU inside.. I'd be interested to see how the other processors compare.

14. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Glad you are enjoying your machine, and a very nice upgrade jump!!!