Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OliZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2020
Hi,

now I have my setup complete. MP with Vega II, XDR and 2 x LG 5K. All looks great but is it really in full res?

I took both diag and who likes to read and have an opinion ?

Regards
Oli

Attachments

• AGDCDiagnose.txt
    210.9 KB · Views: 214
  • DisplayDiagnose.txt
    93.7 KB · Views: 134

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
California
You go to apple menu -> about this mac, and there is a Displays tab with the information. You can see the current resolution in the Display system preferences. Your AGDC / DisplayDiagnose information seem to only be reporting for one monitor, which has a 4k resolution somewhere. Good luck.

OliZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2020
Hmm, in the dialog I can see them all.

Screenshot 2020-02-18 at 16.45.29.png

Screenshot 2020-02-18 at 16.45.58.png

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
And here from the system report:

Can't answer your question, but just a caveat: I've found the "System Report" info on 'native' resolutions to be inaccurate and/or inconsistent between display types.

E.g. system report on my iMac is currently saying:

---
iMac:
Display Type: Built-In Retina LCD
Resolution: 5120x2880 Retina
(no 'looks like' resolution is shown)
----
DELL S2817Q:
Resolution: 5120x2880 (5K/UHD+ - Ultra High Definition Plus)
UI Looks like: 2560 x 1440 @ 60 Hz
----

...while reality is that the internal display is in "looks like 2880x1620" whereas the Dell is only a 4k display and its own OSD display confirms its a 3140x2160 "4k" signal.

The internal 5k is always reported as 5k regardless of scaling, while for the third-party display the 'Resolution' is the virtual resolution used in the scaling process (i.e. 2x the 'looks like' resolution). Moral: if the system report appears to contradict reality, reality has probably got it right!

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
You go to apple menu -> about this mac, and there is a Displays tab with the information. You can see the current resolution in the Display system preferences. Your AGDC / DisplayDiagnose information seem to only be reporting for one monitor, which has a 4k resolution somewhere. Good luck.
macOS doesn't show what resolution is being sent to the displays. You need to use an app like SwitchResX or a tool like AGDCDiagnose.

Use SwitchResX to view timing info of the current resolution. For a tiled display like these, the timing info shown by SwitchResX is for a hypothetical single tiled display representing the dual tiled display (the pixel clock is approximately double the actual pixel clocks used by the two tiles). The timing info comes from the overlay EDID in the mtdd file in the display overrides folder and is only for show but it is at least an indication that dual tile mode is working.

The 3840x2160 that you see in the EFIDisplayInfo section of AGDCDiagnose is probably the resolution used during startup (during EFI time) because the EFI graphics drivers probably don't know how to handle dual tile displays.

To find the timings used by the displays, scroll down to the parts that say "Timing DICT 21".
"Display Mode 80005000" is used for the first (left) tile of the display.
"Display Mode a00" is used for the second (right) tile of the display - ignore these (or at least notice that they contain similar info to the first tile).

You can see that two displays are 5120x2880 (two tiles of 2560x2880 running at 483.25 MHz) and one display is 6016x3384 (two tiles of 648.91296 MHz).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.