Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xDeathReaperx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Alright I read the T-Mobile Q&A on there website.

So pretty much 1 year from now all of there customers will have to switch to either AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint (etc)?

If so, If I decide switch to AT&T can I get the iPhone 5..

Please tell me if im understanding all this correctly.

Thanks!

Dandrews524

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2009
New York
in one year tmobile will be totally owned by at&t. they will most likely get rid of the tmobile name and if you are still under contract with, you will automatically become an at&t customer. im assuming it will be like like when at&t bought cingular. im not sure what makes you think you have to switch to verizon or sprint but im pretty sure that wont be the case. once tmobile officially becomes at&t you could get an iphone with no problem

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
in one year tmobile will be totally owned by at&t. they will most likely get rid of the tmobile name and if you are still under contract with, you will automatically become an at&t customer. im assuming it will be like like when at&t bought cingular. im not sure what makes you think you have to switch to verizon or sprint but im pretty sure that wont be the case. once tmobile officially becomes at&t you could get an iphone with no problem

This, they've pretty much said as much. You probably won't even notice anything, your money will just go to AT&T now.

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca
I'm probably gonna renew the contracts on my T-Mobile lines now. At least then they won't be able to change my pricing. Nothing beats unlimited $15 home phone!

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
This, they've pretty much said as much. You probably won't even notice anything, your money will just go to AT&T now.

Exactly. If you do nothing, your T-Mobile account with automatically transform into an AT&T account. And, for the duration of your original contract, your price plan and features will remain unaffected even after you become an AT&T customer.

Just a little historical clarification though:

Originally Cingular was a joint venture between AT&T (60% share) and BellSouth (40% share). Then BellSouth bought out AT&T, making both Cingular and AT&T wholly owned subsidiaries of BellSouth. (Ironically, BellSouth used to be a wholly owned component of AT&T back before the divestiture of the 1980s.)

Eventually, BellSouth changed its own name to AT&T, and shut down the Cingular brand, making all Cingular customers into AT&T Mobility customers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.