1 year later and the iPhone 4 is still better than all Android phones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jp700p, Jun 22, 2011.

1. jp700p macrumors regular

Verizon is getting rid of unlimited data, so I decided to switch to Verizon before 7/7 to lock myself in for it. Seems like unlimited data is becoming a thing of the past here in the US. Sure theres Sprint, but Sprint coverage where I live and work absolutely suck.

Leaving behind AT&T and the iPhone 4 seemed painless. I picked up the Thunderbolt. Spec wise it dominated the iPhone 4: 8MP camera, 1GHz processor, 786MB RAM, swappable memory card, 4.3" screen, LTE (HOLY S%# is LTE fast where I live!).

After 1 week of using the phone, heres why I returned it.

The interface is laggy as hell
    The whole UI is laggy at times. It can be laggy when swiping through apps, web pages.. etc... It feels like I'm using the original iPod touch. At the Verizon store, I tried the Charge, Droid X 2 and they all were laggy. I mean, its smooth most of the time, but I would say about 50% it feels laggy. With 1GHz I would have expected more.

Crashes more often
    Playing Angry Birds, or going to a site with flash can cause the phone to reset itself. I never experienced this with the iPhone.

Android Market Apps still look 2nd rate compared to the App Store.
    Sure theres a ton of free apps which I appreciate but half of them weren't compatible, and the ones that were compatible, they would crash. The look and feel of Android Apps feel like "amateurish". Not to say App Store is perfect because I've used some crappy apps on there, but even the crappiest app on the iPhone can hold its own on some of the most popular apps on the Android Market.

I'm surprised that even after a year of progress, the current Android OS simply can not compete with Apple right now. The only people who use Android are people who simply hate Apple and people who like to customize their phone. Thats the one thing that makes Android awesome is the fact you can have widgets and live background. But when I enabled those on my Thunderbolt, my battery life suffered severely. I had to shut all those off anyway.

I am back home with the iPhone 4. Sorry I left you, please forgive me dear.

2. Pmoser, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2011

Pmoser macrumors member

3. Badbaw macrumors member

One could say, Android phones (inside and out) lack polish. Others will argue for the feature-heaviness Androids can offer you. It's pretty similar to the PC vs Mac argument. PC enthusiasts argue for specs, Mac enthusiasts argue for the experience.

4. Hueyfreeman macrumors regular

OK now I know your lying the Thunderbolt doesn't lag. It's on of the best phones you can buy, oh wait the battery life is a joke. But lagging is not an issue on it. And critics will say that the Samsung Galaxy S II has the iphone 4 beat. Try using a gingerbread phone rather than one of verizons mediocre phones. Right now verizon has no new phones that are up to par with the iphone 4. Sprints evo 3d is a good phone although gimmicky and the sensation is in a class of its own.

Don't judge android by the phones verizon has put out.

5. seble macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well, be glad you have the choice to choose the right phone for you :)

6. Pmoser macrumors member

Amen. currently most of the U.S. carriers have bad phones. T mobile has the htc sensation and sprint has the evo 3d teats it for quality phones in the Us.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think all carriers in the US have good phones. Just depends what you are looking for, but it's basically Android/iOS/WP7.

8. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

I agree with the lagy-ness of Android phones. I've never used one that felt smooth. Maybe it's the lack of "rubber band" scrolling or something but it does always feel laggy. Even the newest Android phones I play with.

9. Pmoser macrumors member

Just curious what phones have you played with

10. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

I'm guessing you haven't used many of the better android phones. In my opinion the best ones would be the Nexus one, Nexus S, Evo 3D, Sensation, Atrix, and Galaxy S 2. There are others but those are just a few off the top of my head. None of those lag. And to the OP's post, any of those phones you can easily make an argument that it's a better phone.

11. baconroll macrumors member

Another post bashing Android . . . yawn

"The only people who use Android are people who simply hate Apple and people who like to customize their phone."

And acutally I have owned both, and I do not hate Apple whatsoever so please don't speak for the rest of us.

12. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Nail hit firmly on the head.

13. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

And if you read one of the many Android threads in the iPhone forum, you'll find that pro-Apple and pro-iPhone views are marked down with negative ratings and slated just as equally.

Can't have it both ways, and to be fair ... it's an Apple centric forum and the iPhone section within it. I take it Android forums are full of nothing but love and appreciation for the iPhone and iOS then?

14. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

In a few months, the iPhone 5 will take its place :D

15. jp700p, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2011

jp700p thread starter macrumors regular

Its wasn't completely laggy, but at times when you swipe through menus or on webpages they would lag.

Nope, never used those.

16. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

I disagree. I do think the SGS2 and maybe HTC Sensation are better than the iPhone 4, however that'll obviously change once the next iPhone is released. :cool:

17. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

I'm going to preface this statement by saying I am not trying to turn this into any type of bashing, just simply a discussion. When you say that will change when the next iphone is released, what makes you say that? In my opinion, from what we know thus far it seems as though the next iphone will be an incremental update. I don't really see it as surpassing anything major at this time as it isn't really adding anything we haven't already seen. In your opinion what is it that makes you say that?

18. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

OP ... I don't like Android.

Poster_1... That's because you don't understand the raw power of Android.

Poster_2 ... I agree with the OP, I've tried many Android phones and they all felt laggy.

Poster_1 ... I can assure you that you didn't try the best Android phones out there that are loaded with Gingerbread, Icecream, Sweettarts & Snickers.

Poster_3 ... I think iOS is just so much better.

Poster_1 ... Wow, what a Fanboy. :rolleyes:

Poster_3 ... I just speaking my personal opinion, no need to be rude.

Poster_1 ... blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah Honeycomb blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah Customize blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah iPhone is outdated blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah Overclock blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah Custom roms blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah Super Amoled Screen blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah Widgets blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah SG2 is god blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

OP .... That's nice and all but I still like iOS better, besides most Android devices have very poor battery life.

Poster_1 ....:mad::mad: SG2 :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: SG2 :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: iPhone will never beat SG2 :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Poster_4 .... Isn't that what they said about the Atrix?

19. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I really like this example :)

You should make a comedy thread and have a never ending updates to the conversation like this ;)

20. flipster macrumors 6502a

I had a ton of droids, sense ui, motoblur, etc.

switched to an iphone, and it is significantly better, the app store as well.

the only real thing Android has over iPhone is 4G LTE. LTE is ****ing fast

21. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Incredible, Droid X. Older ones were original Droid. Then other non "Droid" androids but I dont know the names of them.

22. ESPN macrumors regular

Save your breath

Windows is the better operating system.

iOS is still better but Android is catching up.

23. Hueyfreeman macrumors regular

I notice a huge contradiction on what a lot of machine enthusiasts say. It is very funny to be honest, they say Apps is the most important thing but when it comes to a comparison between mac os x and windows programs don't matter.

24. s.hasan546, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2011

s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

i never experienced that lag with the thunderbolt. However, the battery life alone was the reason why i couldn't get the thunderbolt.

while im not agreeing or disagreeing, people over on the android forums would disagree... they would say android is better. everyone here would say iOS is better.

IMHO neither is better than the other. One is better or worse depending on the person. Some people prefer android, some prefer iOS, and some still prefer Blackberry OS.

lol shhhh don't start making logical arguments :D

25. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Why, on an iPhone forum, are there so many Andriod defenders? Seems like they join just to start arguments. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with Andriod but there sure are alot of people that take issue with any negative critique of them.:confused: