1 Year on, and there are now over 440 members eligable for avatars!

Status
Not open for further replies.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
It’s been just over a year since I last had a look at these, back then there were 228 members eligible for an avatar and that had moved in to the CPU numbered ranking naming scheme.

So (just over) one year on, and there are now 443 of you!

We are also now in to the 47k UserID's :eek: We were only at 27k uids around this time last year, that's a massive growth :cool:

I think this shows how much people like it here and stick around, contributing regularly, and not just stopping off when they have a problem.

It’s all good!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Applespider said:
Also means that we still manage to scare away nearly 99% of people who sign up before they're eligible for their avatar :p

I wonder if there's a way to get a higher proportion of users staying around for longer rather than just a higher number
Well....there's also a large group of MR'ers who come for advice and help but don't necessarily participate in discussions so actively, because they don't really have any desire to. If you just posted questions and replies in threads about fixing software issues and so on, it might take a long, long time to get to 500 posts. But that doesn't mean they've been scared away. I think in a thread recently, I saw someone say that they were making their first post after coming for two years on a regular basis. We don't know them very well, but they're still part of the family! :)

But hmmmm...getting people to stay longer. I suppose there are people who get scared away, who aren't trolls and who we should've kept. Probably a lot of people lower down on the facility with computers scale, who get flamed for not searching for a topic before posting, for making the 61st iBook vs. Powerbook thread, or so on. I try to be nice to them, but I'm not always successful. :(

And there are the iffy cases...not explicitly trolls, but people who come and ask about P2P or something like that, and get a cold response. I don't know how I feel about that. :rolleyes:

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
ive been registered here for over a year now, ive gotten my 'tar in that year and this is one of the few sites that i spend a LOT of time at. I have said it before, but we have just an awesome community here, there are very few problems and the members here are very well behaved. I love this place and i spend a lot of my free time posting but more often than not im just browsing and reading the different threads

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
I have spent at least 5 or so hours on this thing a day. I prefer not to post as much, to keep people from hating me. (spamming and such) I do feel this is the best forum on the net, esp. in the Macintosh category. I am proud to be apart of this "family" And i hope i have been a worthwhile contributor and haven't annoyed any of you too much!

Thanks Arn.

kyle

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Thomas Veil said:
PlaceofDis, you took the words right out of my mouth.

By the way...yesterday was my one-year anniversary. Where's the cake and presents?

;)

It was sent in the mail, did you check with your mail carrier, maybe one of the carriers have eaten it. :p ;) :)

Congratulations on your 1st year at MR to all who apply. :)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Thomas Veil said:
By the way... yesterday was my one-year anniversary.
Funny how anyone who was here when you joined seems like an old-timer. I remember seeing your posts right before I joined and so assumed you'd been around for quite some time - even though it was just a month more than me. :)

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
out of 47k members, i'm curious how many are "one and done" newbies or "one and banned" spammers?

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
I had no idea our member base was that high! :eek:

I've been here since November of 2002, and still don't have an avatar!

This should be my 402nd post, so I'm getting closer. I haunt the political forums mostly, where the posts don't count towards your total. Maybe by '08 I'll be a 6502!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
jxyama said:
out of 47k members, i'm curious how many are "one and done" newbies or "one and banned" spammers?
About 29,284 of them. As of now, 18349 posters have more than one post.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
what amazes me most are some of the post per day averages that some of you have. sheesh... do you work? go to school? sit in front of macrumors all day? :D i know that i post in spurts, mostly during the work day (shhh, dont tell the boss). :eek:

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
gwuMACaddict said:
what amazes me most are some of the post per day averages that some of you have. sheesh... do you work? go to school? sit in front of macrumors all day? :D i know that i post in spurts, mostly during the work day (shhh, dont tell the boss). :eek:
I hire people to post using my name. Once I can afford to add a fifth ghost poster, I hope to overtake wdlove. maya, though, is a threat. Mr Anderson is still, for now, too far ahead.

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
Thomas Veil said:
PlaceofDis, you took the words right out of my mouth.

By the way...yesterday was my one-year anniversary. Where's the cake and presents?

;)
maybe a little off-topic, but I LOVE your avatar. 24 is the best show ever :D

Status
Not open for further replies.