10.1.3 Any Day Now?

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
I've been waiting...

... for the ability to play DVDs from my TiBook to a TV since I bought the notebook. Finally!! I don't need to boot into OS 9 *ever*!!

Matthew

U

Unregistered

First month without?

It is just me, or was January the first month in awhile we didn't get an update? Guess the holidays delayed them a bit.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
it's been floating around for a while anyway...

it would make sense...

there have been many people claiming to have pirated copies of the update for a little while anyway....

F

flatpainter

D'oh! Wrong window. Wrong forum.

Sorry. Had too many windows open at once. Heh.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
So is this the release that we get the new "handicap" features or is that slated for 10.2? Oh, and maybe if we're lucky this version of System Update will allow us to GET RID OF THE UPDATES WE DON'T WANT/NEED. :rolleyes:

Big, BIG pet peeve: "There are no new updates available. However, you have 13 inactive updates. Would you like to view them?"

Proposed Button: "For the last goddam time, NO!!" ;)

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
You can get rid of unwanted updates

Hemingray,

There is a way to get rid of the updates that you don't want (i.e. Icelandic Character Set, [Brand X] Inkjet drivers, etc).

Just highlight the "offending" update and choose "Make Update Inactive (or something like that). This will de-activate the specific update.

-----

edited for typo (whoever heard of Hemingray anyways???)

U

Unregistered

Originally posted by Hemingray
So is this the release that we get the new "handicap" features or is that slated for 10.2? Oh, and maybe if we're lucky this version of System Update will allow us to GET RID OF THE UPDATES WE DON'T WANT/NEED. :rolleyes:

Big, BIG pet peeve: "There are no new updates available. However, you have 13 inactive updates. Would you like to view them?"

Proposed Button: "For the last goddam time, NO!!" ;)
What are you talking about? Everyone needs drivers for a Japanese Epson 840 printer.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Oops! My bad.

I didn't read Hemingray's message correctly. That's what happens when you try to post with your boss lurking around the cubicles.

U

Unregistered

Well, what we pray for is...

A FRIGGIN' FONT CACHE!
Please, oh Apple Gods, give us smooth live scrolling, because I'm really tired of jumpy live scrolling. I hope this is a high enough priority to make it into the next update.

tw9876z

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2002
yeash 10.1.3 is almost here and why not? also its not a big deal at all, it snot like 10.2 or anything. it should be released during quicktime live.

U

Unregistered

Are they ever going to add in support for connecting to windows servers. in the meantime, i'm just going to have to keep getting a new DAVE license code every 30 days...

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by Unregistered
Are they ever going to add in support for connecting to windows servers. in the meantime, i'm just going to have to keep getting a new DAVE license code every 30 days...
10.1 allowed you to connect to any windows server that has the Apple services installed. That includes both nt4 and 2000. We have both types of servers at work, and I can connect to them from any system running either 10.1 or 10.1.2.

I do know that you could connect to win2k servers all the way back in 10.0.4 (at least to servers running the advanced version). I know this because I was running 10.0.4 on my TiBook, and could connect to the one win2k advanced server on our network.

To do either, simply use the 'connect to server' item under the 'go' menu and navigate to the server. It is pretty easy to figure out, since the zones show up as they did under OS 9.

U

Unregistered

I think he means being able to connect to a machine without having Apple services installed... like a Windows 2000 WORKSTATION not server. I was under the assumption that 10.1 could do that?? I have not tried it myself yet.

U

Unregistered

It certainly doesn't see NT Workstations or servers

It has never connected to our NT server because the IT support refuse to switch on the Apple Services.

Workstations running NT4 are also invisible.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Samba...

You've been able to connect to Windows Machines all along, you just never knew it. Just click your mouse against your keyboard three times and you'll be taken to the land of Samba...

To connect with Sambe go to Go->Connect To Server...

Here enter into the server name field your shared windows directory in the format:

smb:\\winIP\Sharename

Where winIP is the IP address of the windows computer (or name if it has a name on the network) and Sharename is the name of the share you created on the windows machine.

I do this at work all the time. It mounts it as a network drive.

Matthew

U

Unregistered

mrtrumbe:

Excuse me..is this any workstation that has a share? Even Win98?

U

Unregistered

Re: 10.1.3 Any Day Now?

Originally posted by arn
MacMinute has further hints at a soon to be released Mac OS X update:

A specific release date for Mac OS X 10.1.3 is unclear at this point, with sources suggesting only that the update could come "almost any day now."
Well I was always able to play DVD from Ti on my TV. You probably are thinking about DVD playback on external VGA screen.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Samba...

I thought it was any Windows version above and including 98 but I could be wrong. I know it works under Win 2000...

U

Unregistered

Re: Re: 10.1.3 Any Day Now?

Originally posted by Unregistered

Well I was always able to play DVD from Ti on my TV. You probably are thinking about DVD playback on external VGA screen.
What? How? My Ti400 simply says... that setup is not supported - and then it immediately quits DVD player. So how do you make it work?

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Friday?

Apple has a habit I don't understand, they like to release updates on a Friday.

So you may have your 10.1.3 then...

As a software developer, I prefer to release them on a Monday, that way I know if something goes totally foobar, I'll have my full dev staff to work on it on Tuesday (even the ones so hungover they had to 'work at home' on Monday).

I guess maybe Apple's logic is that they won't have their professional users losing work time if an update goes pear shaped. I know I could never get developers to work en mass through a weekend, but maybe Appple can!

U

Unregistered

10.1.3 would be great, however, here in Japan we are still waiting for the new iMac. Apple Japan says it should be launched mid Feb. They originally said Jan like the rest of the world.

I will not hold my breath for 10.1.3, just waiting for my new iMac.

Who said Japoan was important in Apples stratergy