10.1.5 and iBooks

jermsmingy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2002
Houston
For those of you who have iBooks I just updated to 10.1.5 and in the energy saver you can now reduce the processor speed to help save your battery. Just thought ya'll might like to know that.

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Kent, UK
Same with the powerbooks. You can reduce processor performance. Was this there in .1.4? I didn't notice it.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I never noticed it before, where do you find it? And how much difference would it actually make? Would you get minutes or hours of extra time out of a full battery charge?

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Kent, UK
I don't know how much extra time it would give you, but it's under the energy saver in the control panel. Go to the 'Options' tab, and it's at the bottom there.

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
I get about 30-45 minutes longer battery life doing little things like browsing the web, listening to music, burning cds, etc.....

jermsmingy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2002
Houston
Not in 10.1.4

I updated my girlfriends iBook last night and I realized I could do this. So I looked on my iBook and I couldn't do it. As soon as I updated to 10.1.5 I could reduce the processor speed. So it is a brand new feature. Now if they would only allow me to tell my computer to come on at a certain time and shut down at a certain time like I was able to in os 9 I will be completely happy!

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Another iBook (& others?) feature

put an Audio CD in and then press the Eject button. A big eject symbol comes up on screen similar to the brightness and volume controls. If you can see the symbol, you've held it down ong enough to open it.

jermsmingy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2002
Houston
first generation iBook

My iBook is a 500mhz. The new option should be there. Make sure that you have all the latest software updates and that you are looking under the energy saver's options tab. It should be the last option.

jermsmingy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2002
Houston
But not on my iBook with 10.1.4

That is so weird. Cause I tried in on my iBook with 10.1.4 and it didn't have that option. When I updated to 10.1.5 on my iBook I had the option. I thought that it was new that is why I posted this thread. All I can say is that maybe apple installed this feature on computers that shipped with 10.1.4 and the rest of us had to wait till 10.1.5 to get it. Who knows?

cleo

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
Re: Another iBook (& others?) feature

Originally posted by GeeYouEye
put an Audio CD in and then press the Eject button. A big eject symbol comes up on screen similar to the brightness and volume controls. If you can see the symbol, you've held it down ong enough to open it.
OMG, I thought I was losing my mind - I wasn't sure if this was new or not. At any rate, has anyone found a way to turn it off? It annoys the heck out of me.

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Re: But not on my iBook with 10.1.4

I'll bet it's just that the PPC 7440 in the rev B TiBooks doesn't support this option. I triple-checked my Energy Saver prefs, and there is definitely nothing of the sort in there in 10.1.5, and there never has been in any other version of OS X, either. Processor cycling is an option, but only in OS 9. Anyone else with a rev A or B TiBook want to speak up?