Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfischer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2014
I have noticed that after upgrading to 10.10.2, when I start up my 2013 rMBP with an external monitor on a Thunderbolt->DVI adapter I get no video on the 2nd monitor.

I have to unplug and replug the adapter and then it works as it should. This never happened prior to 10.10.2, and has happened every morning since.

It's not the end of the world, but wondered if anyone else had seen this, or had a quick fix suggestion.

Thanks!

alisalem

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2013
Mississauga, ON
I have the same issue. The only workaround is to boot without the DVI adapter connected and once you reach the login screen, you connect it back.

jfischer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2014
I have the same issue. The only workaround is to boot without the DVI adapter connected and once you reach the login screen, you connect it back.

Good grief. How does something like this get by all the beta testers, and Apple internally? We can't be the only two users who have external monitors. JFC.

alisalem

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2013
Mississauga, ON
Good grief. How does something like this get by all the beta testers, and Apple internally? We can't be the only two users who have external monitors. JFC.

I was also surprised when I came to the forum looking for answers to not find anyone suffering from the same issue. On my Mac mini there are no issues, so seems to be only related to the rMBP. Unfortunately I couldn't try 10.10.3 on it as it's the work's laptop.

rMBPUser03

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2014
Interesting, I had exactly the same issues starting with 10.10 as well as 10.10.1. Since 10.10.2 and a few steps it is working now properly.

What I did:

- Shutting down the Mac
- Disconnecting all peripherals
- Disconnecting the display cable (in my case DVI) from the Apple Mini-DP to DVI Adapter
- Disconnecting the display from its AC adapter, reconnecting it after a few minutes (no reconnection to the Apple adapter!)
- Performing a SMC reset
- Performing 3 PRAM reset (yes, three times! simply keep holding the shortcuts even when the mac restarts until I have heard the booting sound for the third time)
- Starting the Mac again
- Login to my user account
- Connecting the external displays cable first to the Apple Mini-DP to DVI adapter
- Connecting the Mini-DP to DVI adapter to my Mac

I did these steps simultaneously with the upgrade to 10.10.2 and since then it worked. Maybe you could give it try, will cost you just about 3 minutes.

Regards,
Joerg

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
This is not exclusive to 10.10.2 though, previous versions had the same bug. And Mavericks too. On one of my Mac Pros I have two monitors connected via two DVI-HDMI adapters, never had an issue. On the other one, with one DVI and two DVI-VGA (I need 3 monitors on that one), this bug happens (not all the time), so I just disconnect/reconnect one of the VGA adapters and things are back to normal. Annoying.

jfischer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2014
This is not exclusive to 10.10.2 though, previous versions had the same bug.

Well, all I know is that I never had this happen since I've owned the machine, and started out on Mavericks. That would have been 100s of startups previous to installing 10.10.2 This is new to 10.10.2 for me.

As is the WiFi not reconnecting when resuming from sleep on my 5K iMac now. Worked fine up until 10.10.2, now it's intermittent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.