10.13.5 today?

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Anyone think 10.13.5 will be released today? All the other OSes (iOS, TV, and watchOS) has been updated accordingly today.

I hope so - want Messages on the Cloud because the bulk of my messages/texts are on my Mac, since 2014!

Mr. 123

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2016
It doesn’t make sense for Apple not to release The high Sierra update at the same time, considering messages in iCloud is a universal feature.

flowrider

macrumors 603
Nov 23, 2012
itunes 12.7.5 just showed up, but... no os update (yet; the day isn't over... or is it? :D )
Hmm, the iTunes update usually coincides with the release of the new OS or shortly thereafter. I don't recall ever seeing it come before an OS update?

I've downloaded and installed it.

Lou

Reactions: RollTide_King

JPGR_Fan

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2003
St. Louis
I turned on Messages on my iPhone iCloud settings. Now I look at iCloud on the Mac and no Messages tab, but Messages is now taking up space in my iCloud storage (maybe it always was, didn't look before).

Dwalls90

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2009
Yes how will we survive without this functionality. Simply barbaric.
While us Apple savvy users know the functionality (Messages in iCloud) isn't released for MacOS yet, the fact Apple released a supporting document on the day 11.4 was released, providing instructions on how to enable this on your Mac (which you are unable to do so yet) seems to have caused enough confusion on these forums. I can't even imagine how annoyed Applecare support must be.

They really should have just held 11.4 back for the MacOS release.

JPGR_Fan

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2003
St. Louis
While us Apple savvy users know the functionality (Messages in iCloud) isn't released for MacOS yet, the fact Apple released a supporting document on the day 11.4 was released, providing instructions on how to enable this on your Mac (which you are unable to do so yet) seems to have caused enough confusion on these forums. I can't even imagine how annoyed Applecare support must be.

They really should have just held 11.4 back for the MacOS release.
Agree. AirPort2 isn't there yet, so my stereo Home Pods can only be played one at a time now from the Mac. iTunes 12.7.5.9 didn't seem to do much.

Dwalls90

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2009
Another example of putting the cart before the horse. Thanks Apple!

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208532
Yep, exactly what I was referring to above.

I'm also curious insofar as to how this functionality works. Beyond flipping a switch in iCloud in iOS 11.4, there really doesn't seem to be a great way to "control" or set the syncing, or monitor the status of the sync.. or something is just broken on my phone :)

RyanXM

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
DFW, TX
I haven't updated to 11.4 yet because of this exact reason. If I can't have them synced across devices, I don't see the point in updating to 11.4. The only logical reasons I can think that they delayed 10.13.5 are: Spectre Variant 4 and/or keeping the server loads focused on 11.4 and then releasing 10.13.5 today. When they do both on the same day, they seem to have issues with updates taking forever or never loading.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
During WWDC? Would be a shame as I mostly waited for my Mac messages to be synchronized through iCloud....

chrfr

macrumors G4
Jul 11, 2009
I haven't updated to 11.4 yet because of this exact reason. If I can't have them synced across devices, I don't see the point in updating to 11.4. The only logical reasons I can think that they delayed 10.13.5 are: Spectre Variant 4 and/or keeping the server loads focused on 11.4 and then releasing 10.13.5 today. When they do both on the same day, they seem to have issues with updates taking forever or never loading.
You can update to 11.4 now and either enable Messages in iCloud or not. You're not obligated to use it, so I don't see any reason to wait. I enabled it in iOS and it hasn't changed how it Messages works in macOS.

steve23094

macrumors 68030
Apr 23, 2013
I'm wondering how it's going to sync if you have turned on Messages in iCloud on your iDevices and then delete a message? What will be considered the master?

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I'm wondering how it's going to sync if you have turned on Messages in iCloud on your iDevices and then delete a message? What will be considered the master?
The Master? That's really going to be the cloud.

or

Which ever device you are using at the moment when deleting. For me, the whole point is to be able to permanently delete it from all devices at once, regardless of which device your using at the moment.

jon8214

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2012
Belfast, NI
from what I have noticed it uploads all your messages from all your devices, in my case iPhone and iPad, and then downloads the missing messages to the device they are missing from so you start with all your messages on all your devices

you can then delete the ones you don't want and it will update your master in the iCloud so if you add another device ie a Mac it will upload the messages on it to the cloud and then force download them to you iPhone/ipad and also download the master to the Mac

hope that makes sense

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.