Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scab Cake

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2001
With all of these updates coming so quickly, I hope this doesn't mean that it'll cost another $129 to upgrade to 10.3 in a few months. :)

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Re: Shurely Shome Mishtake?

Originally posted by skunk
I presume they mean 2002, not 2003......:confused: :rolleyes:

Exactly my thoughts ... 10.2.3 by Christmas 2003 doesn't exactly sound like a good thing ...

samdweck

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2002
1 Infinite Loop
Originally posted by Scab Cake
With all of these updates coming so quickly, I hope this doesn't mean that it'll cost another $129 to upgrade to 10.3 in a few months. :)

I hope not too, but I think Jaguar has one year to go... also, i hope there are ichat updates in 10.2.3 or i will go nuts!

rugby

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
chicago
Well, I can definitely see 10.2.2 coming out by Christmas, but 10.2.3? Maybe. The nice thing about the iApps like iChat is that the application is just a gui over the actual ichat daemon which can be updated in an OS update or patch without changing the actual application.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
M$ took 9-10 months to get "SOME" of the bugs fixed..but forgot thousands more...a 130 mb sp...and the only thing diff is "so called" removing access to ie...even tho when someone sends me a link on msn n i click it...ie still opens :p...psh....n thats with removing access to ie...same thing for win messenger...it still starts up with windows...

jccbin

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2001
It appears that Apple is changing its policy regarding paid updates/upgrades. In OS 9 terms, x.5 and x.0 upgrades were paid. In OS X x.1, x.2, x.3 and so on will appear at the same intervals as the 8.5, 9.0 etc upgrades and will be PAID upgrades.

Apple gave us 10.1 in good faith to make up for the crap that was 10.0 (at least the upgrade was free for some, only the cost of media/shipping/handling).

10.2 was paid.

10.3 will likely be paid, and released in spring, 2003.

Nothing new here. Please move along.:cool:

ultrafiel

macrumors member
May 19, 2002
10.3 would be very early...

<<10.3 will likely be paid, and released in spring, 2003.>>

I don't expect 10.3 to come out in Spring 03 that would be extremely early. More of a fall 03 time would be in accordance to what Apple has done. Expect Apple to have small updates to probably 10.2.5(6) and then 10.3 will come out in fall. They will promote it during the developers conference in the summer and also the expo, and will promote it as a must have for a few months why they work out the bugs and then give it to us, with some minor updates coming soon after to fix what they couldn't. I don't mind, OS X rocks! I've been classic free for over half a year now, and don't want to go back.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by jccbin
It appears that Apple is changing its policy regarding paid updates/upgrades. In OS 9 terms, x.5 and x.0 upgrades were paid. In OS X x.1, x.2, x.3 and so on will appear at the same intervals as the 8.5, 9.0 etc upgrades and will be PAID upgrades.

Apple gave us 10.1 in good faith to make up for the crap that was 10.0 (at least the upgrade was free for some, only the cost of media/shipping/handling).

10.2 was paid.

10.3 will likely be paid, and released in spring, 2003.

Nothing new here. Please move along.:cool:

I highly doubt 10.3 will be a paid upgrade or at least not a full price one such as 10.2 was. My reasoning is simply that 10.2 was a very major change to the whole OSX system and deserved very much a 10.5 or 11 designation. Though at this point I still feel that 10.2 as good as it is, is not a complete system and we will not be getting a complete OSX system for at least a year. 10.3 in my oppinion will be the equivalent of 10.1 and will carry a small upgrade fee I think they will charge full system prices every other .x number which will be on a time line of about every year to year and a half. What they are doing is stretching 10.x name out as long as they can to get people use to it and keep the campaign momentum going. In a few years they will go to 11.x system but it will still be called OSX in my oppinion though it may be something like OSX reborn or OSX2 or something like that.

Telomar

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2002
10.2.2 should be out towards the very end of this month or very early next month. 10.2.3 should definitely be out before the end of 2002 considering it contains some necessary support for things.

Those dates are definitely what is being timelined although you can speculate until you turn blue on the 10.3 release date :p

RogueLdr

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
People's Republic of Ann Arbor
Originally posted by j763
There are loads of bugs in 10.2.1 and apple really needs to start addressing them. I hope we'll see many more 10.2.x releases, as the more bug fixes the better!
Most of these "bugs" would more accurately fit the description of Feature Requests. Wanting the OS to change the way it does things is a feature request. Wanting the OS to not freak out when you set it to do something that it says it does is a bug.

If most of these "Bugs" were refered to as "Feature Requests" then I would agree with you more.

RL

Scab Cake

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2001
Originally posted by Scab Cake

Edit: I guess I forgot to mention that this was a joke. Sorry for all those offended.

TechLarry

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
Originally posted by rugby
Well, I can definitely see 10.2.2 coming out by Christmas, but 10.2.3? Maybe. The nice thing about the iApps like iChat is that the application is just a gui over the actual ichat daemon which can be updated in an OS update or patch without changing the actual application.

I don't have a problem with IE in XP (though version 6 is the most bloated, slowest and buggiest browser MS has ever released. Bring back 5.01 !!!), but you are right about Windows Messenger.

It's a friggen' Cockroach and you can't kill it. I'ts totally annoying.

TL

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Feature Complete?

Originally posted by RogueLdr

What about 10.2 is not a complete system? J/C

RL

10.2 is still missing a lot of features that I expect from a system that even OS9 had. It's little things like all the little bugs that aren't necessarily Apples fault but more incompatibilities with developers. I think most of these things will be ironed out in about a year.

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Originally posted by MacBandit

I highly doubt 10.3 will be a paid upgrade or at least not a full price one such as 10.2 was.

i agree... i think 10.3 will be a more along the lines of refinement not an overhaul like 10.2. It will be an actual UPGRADE like 10.1 was to 10.0.4. If you notice apple never refers to jaguar as an OS upgrade.

My reasoning is simply that 10.2 was a very major change to the whole OSX system and deserved very much a 10.5 or 11 designation.
I disagree here. 11 is way to drastic for what 10.2 was. Jaguar was to much of an overhaul to be a typical "upgrade" (hence the price. But shares to much with 10.1 to have been labeled OS 11.

They prob didn't use 10.5 designation because they know they need more room to grow. They were working on 10.3 before jaguar even hit the shelves.

Though at this point I still feel that 10.2 as good as it is, is not a complete system and we will not be getting a complete OSX system for at least a year.
Could you please explain this further, i know you answered this a couple posts up but you really didnt elaborate. I think this is a very complete OS, thats why it was packaged and sold as a complete OS for full price. I find this OS to be way more complete and feature rich than any windows systems i use. If you're talking about minor bugs, well that doesnt make it any less complete. Windows OS's are so buggy that they'd still be considered beta's by that logic(and maybe they should be, lol).

10.3 in my oppinion will be the equivalent of 10.1 and will carry a small upgrade fee....

I agree here.

I think they will charge full system prices every other .x number which will be on a time line of about every year to year and a half.
Interesting thought... i think the next full price update may be 10.5 which is probably well in the future.

What they are doing is stretching 10.x name out as long as they can to get people use to it and keep the campaign momentum going.
Yeah some of it has to do with marketing hype, and some has to do with the fact that OS X has been in development for many years now. They've had it as a plan for the future for quite a while and aren't going to jump to a new OS version till they feel the need to make a major innovation as apple is known for doing.

In a few years they will go to 11.x system but it will still be called OSX in my oppinion though it may be something like OSX reborn or OSX2 or something like that.

We'll just have to see. maybe it will be OS X 2.0 or maybe it will be OS11 or maybe it will have a name and not a version number...
who knows...

mjtomlin

Jan 19, 2002
Prediction, No Mac OS XI or OS11

By the time Apple completes the development cycle of OS X ... the operating system will run on many other Apple branded products, not just Macintosh labeled computers. (Already powering Xserve, which does contain the Macintosh label)

They've also removed the "Happy Mac" power up screen and replaced it with the Apple logo. The same way the iPod powers up.

So I predict they'll end up changing it to Apple OS or something like that. If they even decided to stick with "OS" at all.

I also believe that once Apple gains enough market share (maybe double what they have now), they'll begin to license the operating system again. There has to be enough evidence that 'other' people are willing to use or switch to Apple's OS to justify having it on non Apple hardware. It of course also helps to have a fairly large hardware user base out there to help keep revenue up, once some of them switch to non-Apple hardware.

However once enough Cocoa apps are available, Apple may also choose to come out with a very cheap low end system using a x86 CPU. Cocoa allows for easy cross platform development. It is after all an abstract environment, completely removed from hardware. Compile your app twice ... once for PPC and again for x86 or any other CPU for that matter and you instantly have a program that will run on any Apple OS based system, regardless of what hardware it's running on.

Anyway, that's what I predict the future holds for Apple.

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
i don't see them licensing the operating system. What makes apple great is the fact that everything works so well together and issues are easy to trouble shoot. Allowing the apple OS to run on many different systems with many diffrent pieces of hardware would create a situation where there would be compatibility issues between hardware and the OS, more difficulty in tracking these issues and less control by apple over how the final product, the computer as a whole, perform.

Mac's work because of the overall quality control apple has over everything. What distinguishes a dell from a mac is that the dell was put together with the cheapest parts with no regard for overall functionallity, macs are put together to function together as a whole, the overall mac experience is what keeps people buying apple computers, not just the OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.