10.2.2 puked

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2001
I am using my trusty Linux box to inform the world, should you care :), that when I installed OSX 10.2.2 (the patch) my system now gives that neat multi-language "you must restart your computer" box each time I start it. Wonderful. Overall OSX 10.2 has crashed more than any operating system I have ever used.

Crashed twice, or was that three times, just downloading the patch (ICQ will also crash it in a matter of minutes, otherwise it generally goes a day or two). The machine was perfect under 10.1.

Guess I'll be reinstalling OSX this weekend. :rolleyes:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
I downloaded and installed both 10.2.2 and the Superdrive patch and everything is working quite well.

Did you overlay a beta version with 10.2 earlier? Apple strictly said not to do that. I did two machines, three drives without formatting anything, but I only upgraded two of them. The other with the beta, I archived and installed.

Good luck!

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
no issues here with x.2.2, sorry you are having so many of them. are you recieving any error when your machine "crashes."

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2001
medea:

Nope, no error message. The usual mode of failuire is what I like to call a "snowball," since something somewhere dies and then everything else is OK till it touches whatever is dead. Any process that touches something dead dies as well. It's bizzarre.

MacAztec:

DP-800, 1.5gig RAM, SCSI software RAID, Radeon 8500.

bousozoku:

Nope, fresh install into 10.2 a while back. I'll try that again soon and hope something magicly works this time. :)

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Have you checked Apple's Discussion boards for anyone having similar problems?

That's probably your best bet for finding out if it's a general bug or something specific to your system/installation.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I have not had any problems with Jaguar or any other versions of OSX. The last time my computer crashed was about 5 months ago.

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2001
Nice to get sympathy and suggestions :), but this thing dies the moment that it boots to the login prompt (GUI), so I think I'm just gona reinstall the OS and see if that fixes it (remember it was already unstable before the patch). I wasn't trying to get help so much as I was trying see if anyone else has seen anything like this.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
i would say you have a hardware problem. take your machine in for service.

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Originally posted by ddtlm
Nice to get sympathy and suggestions :), but this thing dies the moment that it boots to the login prompt (GUI), so I think I'm just gona reinstall the OS and see if that fixes it (remember it was already unstable before the patch). I wasn't trying to get help so much as I was trying see if anyone else has seen anything like this.
Have you reinstalled your os yet, and did it do the trick?

BenderBot1138

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2002
hmmm...

Just heard a rumor its viral from downloading a certain movie on Limewire... the fix said next time your computer starts up, don't let it get very far... push and hold down your power button to force a restart a second time... I don't know about the shift key thing now. The iChat guy I'm on with right now said it dims the screen and then puts up a dialog in four languages telling you restart.

Doesn't sound good... :mad:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
Re: hmmm...

Originally posted by BenderBot1138
Just heard a rumor its viral from downloading a certain movie on Limewire... the fix said next time your computer starts up, don't let it get very far... push and hold down your power button to force a restart a second time... I don't know about the shift key thing now. The iChat guy I'm on with right now said it dims the screen and then puts up a dialog in four languages telling you restart.

Doesn't sound good... :mad:
Interesting. The production companies won't pay to have DVD-ROM access for Macintoshes but they'll pay to have Mac OS X virii written.

Guess it doesn't pay to steal.

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2001
e-coli:

i would say you have a hardware problem. take your machine in for service.
Nope, ran it 24x7 in 10.1 for a year or whatever, with about 4 crashes.

medea:

Have you reinstalled your os yet, and did it do the trick?
No time yet.

BenderBot1138

Just heard a rumor its viral from downloading a certain movie on Limewire.
There is essentially no way for a virus to have gotten onto my machine.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i had one of those weird multi-language 'restart your machine' messages thisafternoon as well.

i was just playing iTunes with a few other apps open and a full screen visualisation then when i exited the visualisation the scree went all tones of grey and the restart message came up.

it was also about 30˚C in the classroom and my TiBooks was feeling very hot.

could it have been some high-temp cutout thing? i think that the max operating temp of the TiBooks is only 33˚C.... what would happen if it did get too hot for it?

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2001
cb911:

Excessive heat can certainly cause errors. If it was getting too hot, the TiBook would just suffer random crashes, probably no pattern to them.

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
Installed 3rd party RAM lately? Checked your harddrive? (fsck -y, then Diskwarrior). Kernel panics during startup usually referres to hardware problems. If you belive its software, do a clean install (archive and install).