10.2.3, 10.2.4 and ForceFeedback

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
46,769
8,954
ThinkSecret reports that new seeds of 10.2.3 are being released with the usual updates, including updates to AppleScript, Classic, Disk Copy, Disk Utility, Image Capture, Mail, OpenGL, Printer Center, and Rendezvous.

MacBidouille, however, notes that Force Feedback support appears to be included in the newest builds with the inclusion of the following drivers:

ImmersionForceFeedback.kext 1.07
LogitechForcefeedback.kext 1.00
10.2.3 is expected in December as previously reported.

 

reyesmac

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
373
53
Central Texas
Cool, now that they will have force feedback (the joystick shakes or wiggles when things blow up on screen) for all the cool action games, maybe someday we can have all those cool action games ported to the Mac!
 

electricimage

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
3
0
After installing this seed build I received a 8% speed increase when testing with xBench. I believe that most of the benefit came in the Quartz drawing.

I am running a Ti 800 with 1024MB Ram and a 60GB 5400RPM drive.

Brad
 

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
1,892
2
Walt Disney Animation Studios
Originally posted by electricimage
After installing this seed build I received a 8% speed increase when testing with xBench. I believe that most of the benefit came in the Quartz drawing.

I am running a Ti 800 with 1024MB Ram and a 60GB 5400RPM drive.

Brad
What video card?
 

Tue12

macrumors member
May 14, 2002
57
0
Originally posted by Billicus
Would somebody explain force feedback to me, please?
A physical response via a user input device. Today it is mostly via joysticks, but it could be anything, like an input glove or one day body suits.

Use Google.
 

utilizer

macrumors regular
May 12, 2002
154
0
In Atlanta!
About Damn Time!

And just in time for the new version of F/A-18 Hornet from Graphsim. Let's just hope that they built it in the game for next month's release!
 

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
7,028
1
back in NYC!
Originally posted by Billicus
Would somebody explain force feedback to me, please?
Force feedback provides direct perception of three-dimensional (3D) objects and directly couples input and output between the computer and user. It acts as a powerful addition to graphics display for problems that involve understanding of 3D structure, shape perception, and force fields. The addition of force display to computer graphic systems has produced a factor of two improvement in rigid-body motions during simulated drug docking, enabled new types of manipulation, and provided users with a stronger sense of understanding

taken from:
http://www.cs.unc.edu/Research/force/


Sounds great, let's hope we get this update soon.
 

cionheart

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
46
0
Germany
Man, I hope they finally fix support for my Casio Digitalcamera. Support has been broken since 10.1.5 where everything worked just fine. Am I the only owner of a Casio? :mad:
 

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
1,951
27
classic update?

My hope is that if the new macs won't boot in OS 9 then apple will work on classic until classic is able to work in exactly the same way that booting in OS9 did. Including all printers, scanners, extensions. Nobody would be able to complain that machines won't boot in OS9 if this were true. Otherwise, I think apple is alienating many customers before all software and hardware manufacturers give them the ability to upgrade.

So I notice that there is a classic update coming. Anyone have any details?
 

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
922
0
New York
Re: classic update?

Originally posted by bretm
My hope is that if the new macs won't boot in OS 9 then apple will work on classic until classic is able to work in exactly the same way that booting in OS9 did. Including all printers, scanners, extensions. Nobody would be able to complain that machines won't boot in OS9 if this were true. Otherwise, I think apple is alienating many customers before all software and hardware manufacturers give them the ability to upgrade.

So I notice that there is a classic update coming. Anyone have any details?
Mmmm I hope it can run audio apps.
 

RogueLdr

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
119
0
People's Republic of Ann Arbor
ummm, no...

Originally posted by scem0


Force feedback provides direct perception of three-dimensional (3D) objects and directly couples input and output between the computer and user. It acts as a powerful addition to graphics display for problems that involve understanding of 3D structure, shape perception, and force fields. The addition of force display to computer graphic systems has produced a factor of two improvement in rigid-body motions during simulated drug docking, enabled new types of manipulation, and provided users with a stronger sense of understanding

taken from:
http://www.cs.unc.edu/Research/force/


Sounds great, let's hope we get this update soon.
actually, scem0, that is not the force feedback that is being referred to here. reyesmac has it right that it is an enhancement for game controllers that makes them vibrate when you are shot or whatever

RL
 

Marvenp

macrumors member
Re: i just want print drivers

Originally posted by digitalgiant
Man i just want some full tilt print drivers for my Epsons.
I agree. All of this fancy stuff Apple is adding to OS X makes no sense when the basic functions don't work up to their full potential yet. I have the new model Epson printer that is only available in Japan, the PM-970C. It will print in OS X but no where near as good as in classic making Photoshop 7 and other OS X graphics programs almost useless. I can design stuff in PS 7 but I have to open it in PS 6 to print full bleed pages with color accuracy. How about properly working printer drivers Apple (Epson, Canon, HP and others)?
 

dscottbuch

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2002
83
6
Re: Re: i just want print drivers

Originally posted by Marvenp


I agree. All of this fancy stuff Apple is adding to OS X makes no sense when the basic functions don't work up to their full potential yet. I have the new model Epson printer that is only available in Japan, the PM-970C. It will print in OS X but no where near as good as in classic making Photoshop 7 and other OS X graphics programs almost useless. I can design stuff in PS 7 but I have to open it in PS 6 to print full bleed pages with color accuracy. How about properly working printer drivers Apple (Epson, Canon, HP and others)?
Try Gimp Print .


The driver that came with this for my 850 NE gives much better results and options. Than the included driver.
 
The Epson printer driver issue is becoming OK now I think. I was furious about it like until a couple of months ago. But the whole situation is getting better as the time goes by.

My PM3000C and 4000PX works OK under 10.2 although it still has some limitations. Epson Japan is releasing tons of leaser printer drivers in December (finally yeah!). But I guess Epson is not much of a big leaser printers out side of Japan... Oh and I've been using VueScan for my 9700 scanner, and Epson finally has a Twain driver for Photoshop on 10.2! (*these model#s are in Japan only)

A while back I've installed Gimp print, but I couldn't really figure out what to do with it. Maybe I didn't do it right? But it was just so unclear what the hell was going on in it.

There's nothing like official drivers! Go Epson Go!
 

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
1,951
27
Re: Re: i just want print drivers

Originally posted by Marvenp


I agree. All of this fancy stuff Apple is adding to OS X makes no sense when the basic functions don't work up to their full potential yet. I have the new model Epson printer that is only available in Japan, the PM-970C. It will print in OS X but no where near as good as in classic making Photoshop 7 and other OS X graphics programs almost useless. I can design stuff in PS 7 but I have to open it in PS 6 to print full bleed pages with color accuracy. How about properly working printer drivers Apple (Epson, Canon, HP and others)?
Is there some reason you aren't able to run your Photoshop 7 in OS9? Why are you still using PS 6 if you have PS7? Very confused. Sounds like you didn't know that PS7 works in OS9 or OSX. Surely that isn't the case I hope.

if you want PS7 to launch in classic, just get info on PS7 and click the little box that says launch in classic.
 

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
5,849
0
Houston, TX
Originally posted by agreenster


What video card?
considering the man has a tibook, it's logical to assume quite easily that he is running the M radeon 7500 with 32 MB DDR, considering they only made one revision with an 800 MHz G4.

brad's comments fill me with hope, i am annoyed that my ambient CPU usage is so high; i suspect it has something to do with quartz not sending everything to the video card. i really think they need to get almost all of the screen aspects of this OS to the vid card ASAP. i have much better things to do with my CPU.

All you people whining about print drivers: when i don't have a driver i want, i don't bitch at the OS company, i bitch at the hardware manufacturer. apple doesn't make epson printers. epson makes epson printers. It's my experience with drivers that manufacturers make them. and if that isn't the case, it should be. apple has better things to do, i think, than write printing drivers. if there is some aspect of the OS that actually DISABLES printer features, they should get their butts on it, but as long is it's JUST the drivers for your specific printer, or even most printers, this is another one of those cases where 3rd parties need to wake up and smell the OS. 9 is dead, much like windows 98. it's like, i think, talking in latin. sure it's useful, and it had it's day, but jeez. if you are still stuck on that OS, t seems like you should be flaming angry at the company like quark or whatever for dragging its feet. i would drop a company like that just like i hope apple drops motorola. nobody should have to put up with that. i could be wrong, i guess, but when i had XP, MS certainly didn't make my Geforce3 drivers, thank god. they didn't even certify the ones i used. anyways...
 

Arcady

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2002
402
24
Lexington, KY
Re: Re: i just want print drivers

Originally posted by Marvenp
How about properly working printer drivers Apple (Epson, Canon, HP and others)?
Why is it Apple's job to write drivers for printers they don't make? :confused:
 

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
1,070
0
BKLN
Re: i just want print drivers

Originally posted by digitalgiant
Man i just want some full tilt print drivers for my Epsons.
This has to do with Epsons and "force" feedback!

There are Epson drivers for loads of printers on the French and German sites (www.epson.fr, www.epson.de) that arn't on the UK/US sites.

I told this to MacWorld UK magazine and got Star letter, winning Jedi Knight I, hench "force"
 

elmimmo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2002
265
0
Spain
Does anyone know if game programmers can include force feedback events in a hardware independent way? Such as game developers for Windows use Direct X to add force feedback events, and it is the gamepad manufacturer which has to write drivers compatible with those.

Because if not and game developers for Mac have to address force feedback in each and every rumbling pad's way, then forget about it, since no one would take the trouble (the same as no one took 3d HW acceleration in games seriously until OpenGL/Direct 3D was available in Mac/Windows)