10.2.5 OS X

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Apr 10, 2003.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

2. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

Gettin' it

But GOSH! 39.9 Megs is pretty big for an update. (thinks back to the last update and can't remember size...) :)

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

4. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

5. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

Kewl... Now, someone go out and try this to see if the battery life on PB improves or not. :D

6. rog macrumors 6502

I advise downloading the combo update to minimize problems. It made a difference for me with 10.2.4

7. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Getting it right now for the iBook will put it on the iMac when I get home from school. If any issues come up I will let you know....

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

looks like we can now use microsoft bluetooth mice and keyboards, anyone care to try before my friends goes back and buys it again.

iJon

9. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

No problem installing.
    The Automatic Update Check was put back on again, though.
    No issues yet!

10. Mac til death macrumors regular

Re: Gettin' it

Actually I think that's about the same size at the 10.2.4 update which was 40 as well.

or maybe not

Anyway... I hope this fixes my date problems and refrains from leaving me any new surprises.

11. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

any word on 10.2.5 server?

i was hoping that it would be co-released so that my friend and i might be able to fix his server problems

12. noverflow macrumors regular

Mine works fine... i cant get the 3rd and 4th buttons to work though

BTW i only have the mouse

But it was super easy to set up

Im happy
    this is all i wanted from this update

13. foniks2020 macrumors regular

Re: Re: first post

Anyways, update went fine, no problems. Took about ten minutes with optimization, etc. and restart.

14. Steamboatwillie macrumors regular

Steamboatwillie

After I installed the update it swapped my monitors: left went to the right and vice versa. A quick visit to the preferences pane fixed it though.

I was hoping that the code contained some hybrid mutative soft genome that would "grow" dual 970's in my dual 1.25 box. >sigh< One can dream...

15. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

yup. it s nice it has been published. Just one remark. What the hell has the apple server got for connection. A friend of mine got about 600 kb sec ! thats so cool. With some thousand people downloading the update, the server is still able to send 600 kb to one user...
    :D :confused: so cool ;)

16. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

Finished DLing the update for my PowerMac. It works fine and no problems at all. Downloading it now for the powerbook and hoping that it will solve the battery problem. BTW, the build is 6L29 on mine.

17. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

The 10.2.5 Update delivers enhanced functionality and improved reliability for the following applications, services and technologies: AirPort, Bluetooth, Classic compatibility, FireWire, Graphics, Image Capture, Mail, and OpenGL.

The update includes improvements to AFP, web services, dial-up connections over PPP, and Windows file services, as well as audio, disc recording, graphics, and printing improvements.

The update also provides updated security services and includes the latest security updates.

For detailed information on this update, please visit this website:

http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n25405

18. goobus macrumors newbie

Just installed it on both of my titaniums and i am using airport without a base station and now all websites load. If somebody else had the problem where sherlock didn't work or sites like macrumors didn't load, that is now fixed. I also noticed that my range is up for airport. Also i heard people haveing battery problems before this update but i haent' noticed any differnce in my battery life. But this actually seems to be a very useful update.

19. F/reW/re macrumors 6502

F/reW/re

kb=kilobit KB=KiloByte mb=megabite MB=MegaByte
    600kb is actually very little. Thats less than 10 x 64k modem. 600KB is more than halv a MegaByte. The most I have got with my connection is 1.2 MB/sec (MegaByte).

The apple downloads always goes superfast :) I love them!

20. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Fear of Apple Updates

I want to update badly. I have high expectations of this little boost to fix all the problems 10.24 introduced, but I promised myself I'd wait to see that 10.25 doesn't bring other users to their knees. Please, I beg of everyone, post any issues, no matter how small.

Dan

21. Maclicious macrumors regular

Maclicious

The most I ever got with a 64K modem was about 56-58kb second. One of us is obviously on crack :).

22. EponymousCow macrumors newbie

One word: AKAMAI.

Basically, Akamai has tons of servers all over the place and they route your connection to the closest server.

23. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

A Couple Things...

First - as for the updates, the one I can notice right off the bat is connecting my mac to the Windows machines in my office. SMB connections are at least twice and quick, and the response over the network is as if the network drives are local to the machine. That beats the tar out of doing it in 10.2.4.

Second - Apple's servers are on akamai.net's backbone, which is an OC-12 line (or multiple of those... I dunno...) That's the equivalent of roughly 50MB/sec (that's BYTES, not BITS) line speed per line, distributed among multiple download servers. The faster your line speed and number of simultaneous connections, the faster you can download.

I've got a cable T-3 connection, and can repeatedly download from them a cool 3 megabits/sec uninterrupted. That's pretty quick for things like this. My download took approx 3 minutes, with another 3 for optimization.

24. F/reW/re macrumors 6502

F/reW/re

Why man? I was so on my way to rip this guy apart with my extreme kb-KB knowledge :p

I first quoted the wrong dude so I couldn't rememeber if he wrote 60 or 600kb :)