MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple's Knowledge Base Update email was sent out yesterday and listed the new updates available at Apple's website. These include downloadable installers for OS X 10.2.8:

Mac OS X Update 10.2.8 (for 10.2.6-7)
Mac OS X Update Combo 10.2.8 (for 10.2-10.2.5)

However, Apple's email also curiously mentioned some unreleased applications:

iCal 1.5 for Mac OS X: Information and Download
iSync 1.2 for Mac OS X
iSync 1.2 Palm Conduit for Mac OS X

The links for these items in the email currently direct users to the current versions of Apple's applications, but should be expected shortly.

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
can't be bothered

I'm not going to spend any more time updating my 12" PB anymore...

I want Pather already!!!

man!, the wait is excruciating...

I'm also holding out for the new 15" PB w/ Pather pre-installed, that will be sweet!

Comment

mistersquid

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2003
Athens, OH
Extreme benefit of 10.2.8 for older macs

I just updated to 10.2.8 form 10.2.6 on a PowerMac G4 400 MHz PCI Graphics: the oldest of the G4 powermacs.

It feels, to me, that there is some improvement in the responsiveness of the UI, though I may only be imagining such. Though the Knowledge Base article makes no mention of enchancments to QuickTime, the performance of QuickTime player seems to me dramatically enhanced.

I haven't had time to find out which, if any, of my apps are broken. Most of my OS parts are standard (except for Windowshade X, Kensington's Mouseworks, and Wacom's Tablet software). The customized parts of my software include PHP, MySQL, and some PERL modules. So far, everything's up.

I'll edit back later with both thumbs-ups and blow-ups.

Comment

bignumbers

macrumors regular
May 9, 2002
Mac OS X Update Combo 10.2.8 (for 10.2-10.2.5)

Does this mean the combo updater won't work if you have 10.2.6? I've always used combo updaters as they seem to have fewer problems. Also, it's easier to keep them on file in the event of a future reinstall/update process.

Comment

roggy

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Nokia 8910i with iSync

I am wondering if anyone has any info regarding the support of this phone in iSync. Specifically, when (if ever) will this phone be supported?
Thanks!
Alex

Comment

ziegen

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2002
Combo Update is also for 10.2.6 and 10.2.7!!

Originally posted by bignumbers
Does this mean the combo updater won't work if you have 10.2.6? I've always used combo updaters as they seem to have fewer problems. Also, it's easier to keep them on file in the event of a future reinstall/update process.

The Combo Updater worked fine on my 10.2.6 and this is also stated in another KB article which can be reached from the combo updater page.

The above informtion seems to be a typo (by Apple)

EDIT:

"TITLE
Mac OS X: About the Mac OS X 10.2.8 Update (Combo)

Article ID:
Created:
Modified:
7/2/03
9/22/03

TOPIC

This software updates Mac OS X 10.2, 10.2.1, 10.2.2, 10.2.3, 10.2.4, 10.2.5, 10.2.6, or 10.2.7 to version 10.2.8.

Important: This update works only with Power Mac G3- and G4-based desktop and portable computers, including iMac, eMac, and iBook. This update does not work with Power Mac G5 computers.

"

From http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25525

Comment

gujamin

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2002
Atlanta
waiting....

What time does Apple usually make the announcements/change their webpage? I thought it was usually around 10AM ET, but I think the iPods last week were announced around 1 PM ET.

Anyone up for wild speculation? :)

Comment

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
This update, it seems, has totally F***** my powerbook 17 1ghz. It runs for about 3 minutes before the OS freezes, and sometimes I get text accross the screen screaming kernel failure.

Going to bring it to the Apple Store right now and see if they can check into it, all my restore disks, etc are not with me.

edit: I will update here with progress; there is the chance this is unrelated to the update of course.

Comment

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Re: waiting....

Originally posted by gujamin
What time does Apple usually make the announcements/change their webpage? I thought it was usually around 10AM ET, but I think the iPods last week were announced around 1 PM ET.

I thought it was 10AM PDT.

Anyone notice that the PowerBooks are currently occupying both the main graphic and one of the small graphics across the bottom? Might this mean that they are shortly going to have a different main graphic?

Just a thought.

Comment

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Re: waiting....

The iMac & iPod announcements were up on Apple's site by 8AM ET back two weeks ago Monday when they were updated...

Comment

gujamin

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2002
Atlanta
Re: Re: waiting....

Originally posted by Snowy_River
I thought it was 10AM PDT.

Anyone notice that the PowerBooks are currently occupying both the main graphic and one of the small graphics across the bottom? Might this mean that they are shortly going to have a different main graphic?

Just a thought.

It's been like that since the Expo Announcement.

Comment

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
waiting at the "genius bar"... it, of course, has not crashed since I have arrived at the store.

Comment

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Re: Re: Re: waiting....

It's been like that since the Expo Announcement.

Really?

I guess I'm just blind...

Oh. No I'm not. I just revisited Apple's page. This time it came up differently. The bottom small picts aren't constant.

This time it was

[iMac] | [iPods] | [DVD Studio Pro 2] | [Power Mac G5]

When I noticed it earlier it was

[PowerBooks] | [iPods] | [iMac] | [Wireless Keyboard and Mouse]

which I had never seen before today.

Comment

gujamin

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2002
Atlanta
Re: Re: Re: Re: waiting....

Originally posted by Snowy_River
Really?

I guess I'm just blind...

Oh. No I'm not. I just revisited Apple's page. This time it came up differently. The bottom small picts aren't constant.

This time it was

[iMac] | [iPods] | [DVD Studio Pro 2] | [Power Mac G5]

When I noticed it earlier it was

[PowerBooks] | [iPods] | [iMac] | [Wireless Keyboard and Mouse]

which I had never seen before today.

It randomly picks between the different page layouts (both of the setups you described have been around since the Expo). If you haven't force-reloaded the page, it's probably using the cached copy which is why it appears constant.

Apple has been doing rotating main images for a while now. I'm surprised you've never noticed before.

Comment

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
If the large picture is the 3 Powerbooks, there will be no small image Powerbook image in the lower left box. However, if the main page is featuring the 15" PB, the lower left hand corner will have the 12/17 announcement. :D

On all of these updates-I am staying away. 10.2.8 just isn't worth the risk. Nothing is wrong now. I can wait a few more weeks for Panther with 10.2.6 anyway.

iCal and iSync updates would be nice.

Comment

loneAzdgari

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2003
UK, KENT
Re: transparent dock

Originally posted by iLilana
I miss my transparent dock

Is the dock not transparent in 10.2.8 anymore? If u wanna change it back, u can use transparent dock off versiontracker.

Comment

eric67

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2002
France, Europe
update removed

Apple has removed the update from the Software Update and from its downloading center
news from hardmac.com

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.