10.2 (Jaguar) mail problems?

Apple][Forever

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2002
I have upgraded my machines to 10.2 and am now having problems with the new Mail.app... it doesn't seem to want to authenticate me to my smtp server... but when i turn authentication off, it works half the time. The other half of the time, it refuses the connection. I have 2 hosting provider accounts (I do websites) and a mac.com account and it happens on all of them. anyone else have this problem?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Re: 10.2 (Jaguar) mail problems?

Originally posted by Apple][Forever
I have upgraded my machines to 10.2 and am now having problems with the new Mail.app... it doesn't seem to want to authenticate me to my smtp server... but when i turn authentication off, it works half the time. The other half of the time, it refuses the connection. I have 2 hosting provider accounts (I do websites) and a mac.com account and it happens on all of them. anyone else have this problem?
Yeah, just one, scrap mail.app and use Entourage (part of M$ Office X suite), sadly, and I do mean sadly, it's much better than the mail.app. :(

Apple][Forever

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2002
Re: Re: 10.2 (Jaguar) mail problems?

Originally posted by verbose101

Yeah, just one, scrap mail.app and use Entourage (part of M$ Office X suite), sadly, and I do mean sadly, it's much better than the mail.app. :(
wish i could but $$$ enter into that (not suprising considering it's microsoft, right? :))

i've been thinking of mailsmith or another 3rd party app as well, but again the $$$ question...

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Re: Re: Re: 10.2 (Jaguar) mail problems?

Originally posted by Apple][Forever

wish i could but $$$ enter into that (not suprising considering it's microsoft, right? :))

i've been thinking of mailsmith or another 3rd party app as well, but again the $$$ question...
Erm....not to encourage any illegal activitie, but you've heard of Limewire right?? ;)

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
i've had a few smtp problems with mail... but no more than usual with problems from my mail server itself. are you sure it's mail and not the server?

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
Mail Question

how about receipts? I work at an ad agency and like having delivery confirmation of proofs to clients. Is there a tab I'm missing for attaching a read receipt?

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
Mail Problems

And not to post twice in a row, but I've had problems with mail.app losing the password I've told it to hold on to. It's doing it on two different machines (a G3 300 & a Dual 500 G4, both running jag)

stromie952

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2002
Rochester, NY
I am having a more serious problem with Mail.app

When I click on the icon in the dock, it tries to open for 1 or 2 bounces and then stops without loading the program.

Thanx for any help

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by stromie952
I am having a more serious problem with Mail.app

When I click on the icon in the dock, it tries to open for 1 or 2 bounces and then stops without loading the program.

Thanx for any help
Did you try fixing the alias?

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
Originally posted by mmmdreg
My mac.com works fine..my ISP doesn't seem to..I haven't yet tried turning authentication off so we'll see...
hey dreg

Telstra Bigpond Cable is stuffed, it won't work with MAC OSX , some reports from whirlpool.com.au have said that they have tried to send a 3mb file and it took 45mins, what a joke there is a fix yet it slow the upload speed to 3k, which is not enought :(

my mac.com mail works yet my ISP is stuffed

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
I have mail app working just fine. I have three IMAP accounts as detailed below. Some ISPs do not require a password when you send mail, but do not allow you to send mail unless you are logged on through them.

Some ISP's support SSL secure data pipes, but some don't (mac.com). Before you give up on mail.app, make sure you check with your mail provider and see exactly what options that you can set for your imap/pop and smtp settings. If you have the choice between imap and pop, choose imap!!!

I won't touch Entourage with a ten foot pole. I have it installed, but I actually appreciate the fact that Apple is going with the separate apps for the entourage functionality. I prefer the new Address book over any others (including palm and entourage). I am looking forward to iCal.

Work
Kerberos IMAP Auth with SSL
SMTP with simple password auth using SSL

ISP
Simple Password Auth no SSL (damn ISP)
SMTP with with no password

mac.com
Simple Password Auth no SSL (damn mac.com)
smtp with simple password, no SSL

Kavok

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2002
The main problem I've been having with Mail, isn't even Mail's fault that I can tell. My problem has been that the Keychain access settings keep reverting to requiring confirmation prior to accessing my e-mail accounts. I've gone through the Keychain and found that they're all preset to requesting confirmation. I've subsequently rest all the passwords so hopefully this will solve the problem. Apparently when you check the "remember password" option in Mail, it's not over-riding Keychain's settings.

TKERyder

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2002
Kenosha, WI
Jaguar Mail ok with Microsoft exchange server

The MIS guys at the company I work for asked me if the new Jaguar mail program would work with their Microsoft Exchange server without using a POP connection. I am trying to convince them that this will work so much better than the MS Outlook (OS 9) that I am using now.

Can anyone help? as soon as I give them the "ok it will work" (and hopefully this is how) they will get the new OS.