Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matt01792

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently installed the .3 upgrade (from .2) on my almost 4-month old iBook G4.

Ever since then I've noticed a decrease in speed, slight but noticeable, and I've had my first error message thing (hold down the power button 'cause you need to restart).

I repaired the permissions via Disk Utility almost immediately after installing the upgrade and I'm about to run XBench (I got just under 80 before if i remember right).

Anyway, I'm concerned about the speed. Is there a way to revert back to 10.2 without loosing all my data? And has anyone else noticed this?

Many thanks,
Matt.

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
10.3.3 seems to have worked pretty well, i've certainly seen a little speed increase

Have you checked the Activity Monitor to see if anything is taking up the processors time?

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
hmmm.... very odd.

Sometimes updates can cause problems. I'd wait and see what other iBook G4 users say on your thread. 10.3.3 for me has increased the speed of all three of my machines slightly. You really don't want to be going backwards though.

The error may be that "you must restart" thing. I have had it in the past and asked on here. This was the excellent reply I got from Gopher.

SpaceMagic,
You must restart message on Mac OS X means you have suffered a kernel panic. It could be since your system is slower than it should be that either the RAM or logic board is no good, or one of the other causes of kernel panics have happened:

http://www.macmaps.com/kernelpanic.html

Very few RAM testers are able to detect bad RAM, and even Apple RAM can fail at anytime. Apple's RAM would be covered under Apple's 1 year hardware warranty. Note there are other things which may slow down Mac OS X once you resolve the kernel panic issues here:

http://www.macmaps.com/Macosxspeed.html

Hope this helps.

claven

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2004
Here's my problem...

I'm new here...
I bought a 1ghz ibook g4 a month and a half ago, and over the weekend it started freezing up on me. Then I got a kernel panic...I shut down, let it sit for a while and then rebooted. Instead of getting the startup screen, I got a dark screen that colorshifted to white, revealing a series of 2 inch thick vertical bars. It continued to colorshift to purple...I let it sit for a while and then rebooted, got a kernel panic, shut it down, and it started working fine...until I bumped it. It froze, so I rebooted, and the vertical bars thing happened again. I left it over night, and it was working fine the next day. I used the hardware test disc, which froze the first time, rebooted, and ran a successful test the second time. EVERYTHING PASSED! It worked fine for a while and then the same things started happening, so I've taken it in for repair. They don't know what the problem is. Do any of you?

ellermeier

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2004
I just bought my ibook mid march... the first one it got I had problems with it upon the first start up....so I battled it for a week and through tech support found that my memory was bad and I was able to exchange it for a brand new one. So I got my new ibook and everything was great for about 2 weeks then I was working in Illustrator and my screen froze, I couldn't force quit or anything the whole system froze, after that I couldn't get it to start up again... well it would start up, I could hear it but my screen was black. For a whole week I had issues with this trying to get my work done between crashing... so tech support told me to send it in for repair. They replaced the logic board. I just got it back last Thurs and instantly had problems with it AGAIN!! So after battling reinstalling OS X and tech support for 8 hours, I took it to the Apple store and they are sending it yet AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!! I am a graphic designer and have worked on macs for years and love them but I am at the end of my rope right now. I'm going on a month and a half without a correctly working computer... I just don't get it, I guess I have bad luck.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
claven said:
I'm new here...
I bought a 1ghz ibook g4 a month and a half ago, and over the weekend it started freezing up on me. Then I got a kernel panic...I shut down, let it sit for a while and then rebooted. Instead of getting the startup screen, I got a dark screen that colorshifted to white, revealing a series of 2 inch thick vertical bars. It continued to colorshift to purple...I let it sit for a while and then rebooted, got a kernel panic, shut it down, and it started working fine...until I bumped it. It froze, so I rebooted, and the vertical bars thing happened again. I left it over night, and it was working fine the next day. I used the hardware test disc, which froze the first time, rebooted, and ran a successful test the second time. EVERYTHING PASSED! It worked fine for a while and then the same things started happening, so I've taken it in for repair. They don't know what the problem is. Do any of you?
Claven/Ellermeier-

Have either of you tried resetting the PMU on your notebooks? The procedure for this can be found on Apple's web site. I had similar symptoms with my iMac when I first got it; resetting the PMU cleared everything up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.