Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

News.com reports on a problem that has hit many Mac OS X 10.3.9 users.

Mac OS X 10.3.9 brought unexpected quits/restarts from Safari as well as standalone Java Applications.

For those who are affected, Apple said the problem can be fixed by reinstalling two earlier security patches: Java 1.4.2 Update 2 and Security Update 2005-002.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based company also offered up a test that people can do to see if their systems are affected. Customers should open the terminal program and type "java -version" (without quotes) and then hit return, it said. Computers affected by the issue will get the message "Segmentation fault."

Extensive discussion on the update can be found here.

Gorbag

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2003
West London
Strange, no problems with my set-up. Wonder if it's to do with third party plug-ins, seems a lot of those have been broken with the lastest update to safari.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
I applied those - but I'm still having lots of problems with Safari crashing out when some links are followed, and ignoring some Javascript.

I know there were some Javascript security fixes - but I need to use this particular (trusted) site for work, and I want it to work like it did before!

Not impressed.

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
I tried the Terminal test and received:

"1.4.2_05"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_05-141.4)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2-38, mixed mode)

No problems! :D

Gorbag

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2003
West London
pimentoLoaf said:
I tried the Terminal test and received:

"1.4.2_05"

No problems! :D

Same here.

Morky

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
NYC
I had the problem.

First time I've had a problem with anything coming through Software Update and I've installed everything since 10.1. The Security Update 2005-002 reinstall fixed it for me without reinstalling Java 1.4.2 Update 2.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
Ok, this is messed up. What causes this to happen only on a certain setups. Whats the program or setup causes this to happen, or is it just random? I'm unaffected but its still annoying that CNet of course posts the problem like it was the end of the world and it doesn't even affect every user.

tyrstone

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2004
Where I noticed the problem was when I tried to watch any of the sites (MLB.com, cbspsortsline, espn) that update live baseball games. Instead of auto-update or live action, I have to refresh. Do we have to reinstall the Java and security updates, or will apple make something available?

~loserman~

macrumors 6502a
varmit said:
Ok, this is messed up. What causes this to happen only on a certain setups. Whats the program or setup causes this to happen, or is it just random? I'm unaffected but its still annoying that CNet of course posts the problem like it was the end of the world and it doesn't even affect every user.

Oh come now.
If this was a Microsoft Problem everyone on this board would be laughing their butts off. :p

The worst part for Apple is it is a reflection on their quality control. Makes people wonder, If they missed this how much did they miss in Tiger?
And when Tiger shows some glitches you can bet the IT press will be all over it.

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
I had the problem, but I didn't realize I had it until I checked the terminal. Safari was going a little slow, but I thought that was the regular OS X sluggishness.

aprilfools

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2004
Southern California
No Problem. here is what I get:

Last login: Tue Apr 19 05:16:40 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
[eMac:~] benjamin% java -version
java version "1.4.2_05"
[eMac:~] benjamin%

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
Both my ibook and emac were affected to the point where they simply did not start safari. I just reinstalled 1.2 Safari and now it's great. Strange - but I don't get the segmentation message in terminal....*scratches head*

caccamolle

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2005
here's my view

10.3.7 rock, ROCK, solid
10.3.8 my mac would crash every third or fourth wake up from sleep
10.3.9 my mac crashes randomly. Worse than XP for sure.

Take a look at the Apple support site and you'll know I am not alone.

I usually don't do all updates, unless really need to. I went to 10.3.8 because I had read somewhere that it addressed network issues and I had noticed slow response accessing the web. So I went to 10.3.8 and wish I had never done it. Evidently since 10.3.8 was not stable it was a no brainer to try 10.3.9. And 10.3.9 for me is the worst OS I have had in a long long time.

CONCLUSION: Apple is making sure everyone will want to purchase TIGER. No other explanation.

PM FW 1.25 2x 1.25gig

Xenious

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
Texas, USA
I had the issue and fixed it with 2005-002. Kind of funny that there was no problem until the hard working user community solved it. Then Apple just takes that information everyone compiled so nicely and posts it online. ;) Granted it is a much more logical place for all users to find it (on apple support pages).

I'm glad I saw it on MacRumors. I had the patch already downloaded in advance. :)

Oh and my fans actually spin up less after 10.3.9.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
caccamolle said:
10.3.7 rock, ROCK, solid
10.3.8 my mac would crash every third or fourth wake up from sleep
10.3.9 my mac crashes randomly. Worse than XP for sure.

Take a look at the Apple support site and you'll know I am not alone.

I usually don't do all updates, unless really need to. I went to 10.3.8 because I had read somewhere that it addressed network issues and I had noticed slow response accessing the web. So I went to 10.3.8 and wish I had never done it. Evidently since 10.3.8 was not stable it was a no brainer to try 10.3.9. And 10.3.9 for me is the worst OS I have had in a long long time.

CONCLUSION: Apple is making sure everyone will want to purchase TIGER. No other explanation.

Different experiences for different people. I, on the other hand, have seen nothing but improvements with each update. (Except for this bug of course, which was easily fixed.)

Dalriada

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2004
Moorlough Shore
caccamolle said:
Apple is making sure everyone will want to purchase TIGER. No other explanation.

Well it's a sad day if thats the purpose of 10.3.9 although I could hardly believe that. Anycase I'm going straight from 10.3.7 to Tiger ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.