Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ltr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
i bought a new powerbook a few month ago and it came with panther pre-installed on it. thing is i need to boot in os 9 to be able to run some certian applications. and seen as im pretty sure you can do this in jaguar i was wondering; is there any possible way i can downgrade from panther to jaguar?
can i just buy a copy of jaguar and install it by using it to boot my computer? if not how can it be done?
[cheers for reading]

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Classic support (Running OS 9 applications in OS X) is available in any version of OS X. No need to go back to 10.2.

HOWEVER, your machine may not be able to boot into OS 9 no matter what OS you try.

Have you tried running your application in OS X using Classic?

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
The fact that you cannot boot into OS 9 has nothing to do with OS X 10.3 or 10.2. Your compute is not capable of booting into OS 9 no matter what you do, it simply isn't in the boot ROM on the motherboard. Don't give up on Classic though, all you have to do (if it's not on there yet) is install a copy of OS 9 (Clean Install seems to work best) and you'll be able to run it just fine.

JW

ltr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
i have tried classic, [these are audio apps] and thier is a constant clicking as if there is a sound delay somewhere? i think much tinkering around is in order. :p
cheers all the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.