Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
Suddenly the past two days, when I plug my pad into the bedroom bed wall socket cord, the pad won’t charge. I took the pad to another room, plugged into that room’s cord, the pad starts charging. I plugged into a third wall socket moving the original bedroom cord from the bedroom and the pad charges. I changed the original bedroom cord with another cord and the pad charged in the bedroom socket.

But if I plug the original bedroom cord into the original bedroom wall socket, the pad doesn’t charge.

Has anyone seen this refusal to charge suddenly? What is going on. The cords or pad aren’t smart. They shouldn’t care where they are used if the room is normally powered, and all sockets work.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
My guess is the original lightning cable might not be Apple certified. Erratic behavior is a symptom. The other possibility is the original cable isn’t making physical electrical contact with the charger and/or outlet properly, for whatever reason.

Reactions: Caesars

Caesars

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2013
My guess is the original lightning cable might not be Apple certified. Erratic behavior is a symptom. The other possibility is the original cable isn’t making physical electrical contact with the charger and/or outlet properly, for whatever reason.

wib

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2013
Mine's being a bit temperamental too. It seems to be charging very slowly/barely charging in the socket I always use, using the original charger and cord that came in the box from Apple when I bought it. I thought it was a bit strange, so was pleased to see your thread. It's just started happening in the last day or so.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
Do you have another IOS device to try?
I have decided that it could be the wall socket intermittently losing connection. Everywhere in the house I plug in the charging continues with the original cord and iPad. There is an electrical lamp in the same original socket that is never intermittent working, always works. I am trying an extension cord from another socket tonite. Will report back.

wib

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2013
Last night I unplugged my charger and put it back in and it charged normally. There may well be a loose connection somewhere...

I actually use an extension cord with on/off switches for each socket and later on when I switched a different one off, the switch flew off! I had to buy a new one today. It made me think that maybe over time the connections can get loose by themselves.

So, it seems my problem wasn't the iPad, charger or cord, but the power source.

Doth

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2011
Check your lightening port for lint. Clean out with a dry old tooth brush.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
I plugged an extension cord from across room electric socket to another convertor, then plugged another USB/Lightning cord into the 10.5" iPad Pro. Overnite it recovered 100% and maintained. I don't know if the original socket, the original convertor, or the original USB/Lightning cord is at fault. I can turn on a lamp from the original socket. I took the original cord into another room and it charge my 10.5" iPad Pro just fine. The convertor is the only item Im not sure about. Will test it. and report.

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
Check your lightening port for lint. Clean out with a dry old tooth brush.
I have "fixed" dozens of iPad/iPhone charging problems with this trick lol. When someone comes to me with a device that won't charge, that's the first thing I do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.