Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

senc01a

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2007
Hi my friends.
I write this post to COMPLAIN about the performance of World of Warcraft in the just released 10.5.3 Leopard.

My system: Macbookpro santarosa, 2gb ram, nvidia 8600 128 Mb.

Details: I get an average of half of the frames per second (fps) with 10.5.3 than I use to get with 10.5.2.

I just want to thank the extremely cool nvidia & apple partnership which just can't develop a decent set of nvidia drivers. Thanks!

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
I don't game on my SR MacBook Pro but I can say that I've been quite underwhelmed with my nVidia 8800GT thus far. WoW actually plays OK but not really much better than my x1900 did. Blizz is pretty good with working with Apple on better drivers. Hopefully they can do something with it. I personally don't even bother trying to game on Mac any more. I have a PC built for that or play my consoles.

rbarris

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2003
Irvine CA
We believe you can reduce or delay this issue by going to these settings:

vsync off
multisampling at 1x
glow off

If that doesn't help, try toggling windowed mode (Command M) when you notice a slowdown, in our tests here that seemed to clear it.

We've started working on this with Apple and NVIDIA. Sorry I don't have more news at this point.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
I don't game on my SR MacBook Pro but I can say that I've been quite underwhelmed with my nVidia 8800GT thus far. WoW actually plays OK but not really much better than my x1900 did. Blizz is pretty good with working with Apple on better drivers. Hopefully they can do something with it. I personally don't even bother trying to game on Mac any more. I have a PC built for that or play my consoles.

Yeah an 8800gt is overkill for WoW. And I wouldn't expect much difference between it and an x1900.

No problems here with WoW and 10.5.3. I actually thought the update made performance a bit better. My monitor seems to look better too.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
Yeah an 8800gt is overkill for WoW. And I wouldn't expect much difference between it and an x1900.

No problems here with WoW and 10.5.3. I actually thought the update made performance a bit better. My monitor seems to look better too.

No such thing as overkill in my book. :) I guess I shouldn't complain because I can play full screen on my 30" display. Frame rates can go from very smooth to very choppy though sometimes.

Anyways, you can tell how first-rate blizz is by the post from rbarris. They are really dedicated to Mac gaming.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Anyways, you can tell how first-rate blizz is by the post from rbarris. They are really dedicated to Mac gaming.

Yes, Blizzard is first class. But it seems Apple isn't doing any kind of testing of their updates (or developers testing the beta seeds) against games? You don't expect to end up chopping the fps in half in one of the biggest games available on the Mac platform.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
WoW framerates went up a bit for me... almost 20 frames a second with the same settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.