10.5.3 update makes my MBP take 20 seconds to go into sleep

Discussion in 'macOS' started by weemanpow3, May 28, 2008.

1. weemanpow3 macrumors 6502

weemanpow3

I updated my MacBook Pro with the new 10.5.3 update and everything went well. The only problem I have with it is now when I close the lid of my laptop it takes 25 seconds to go to sleep. Befor I updated it used to go to sleep within 3 seconds.

2. weemanpow3 thread starter macrumors 6502

weemanpow3

3. Eluzion macrumors 6502

How many apps do you have open or processes running? Sleep time will greatly vary based on however much it has to "save" before going to sleep. My MBP takes probably 3-5 seconds with nothing open but can take up to 25 seconds with stuff open.

4. weemanpow3 thread starter macrumors 6502

weemanpow3

Nothing is open. I always close all my apps when I am not using the computer. I tryed out the program Xslimmer before the update I dont know if that could be the cause. I should probably reformate it. I have been trying out lots of shareware and third party apps. I also have Windows Vista Ultimate x64 on bootcamp, will that get deleted in the osx reformate.:(

5. danny_w macrumors 601

I am still on 10.5.2 and it always takes at least 15s to go to sleep (light starts flashing). I have not had any Intel Mac sleep in only 3s (but the PPC Macs were almost immediate).

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Yes that would be safe sleep. Basically during those 15-20 seconds your computer is writing the memory contents to your disk. Should you suffer power loss or take out the battery, everything you were working on when you closed the lid can be restored. But I don't use that feature at all and would rather reclaim the 4GB disk space on my drive and have the computer sleep in under two seconds.

tl;dr open terminal and copy paste. it will get rid of safe sleep.

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage