10.5.4/10.5.5/10.5.6 and Airport frustration, please help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CristobalHuet, Dec 19, 2008.

1. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

I have to let this out.

I have a DLINK WBR-2310 wireless G router (crap, don't even consider buying it); and I am running 10.5.4, yes, I went back to that for a couple of reasons that I hope you can shed light on.

A few weeks ago I upgraded to 10.5.5, and then promptly installed the Airport 2008-004 update, which made my wireless unusable (connection would drop every 10 minutes or so, take 30 seconds to reconnect.)

So I did an Archive and Install, the update was removed and I was back to 10.5.4. I installed the 10.5.5 update, and ignored the 2008-004 patch.
    All was going well, the internet was solid (the connection, occasional drops, but nothing like every 10-15 minutes, more like once or twice a day).

Now, 10.5.6 gets in the story.

Released a few nights ago, I downloaded it from Software Update, the install went without a hitch, I was satisifed...

until I booted back into Leopard, and that 10-15 minute scheduled drop was back, much to my frustration.

Now I don't know how to proceed from now on: I thought I'd install 10.5.5, then put in the Airport update that failed for me, then install 10.5.6 and just hope it was a software issue that brought back my wireless drops in 10.5.6, due to 2008-004 not being installed.

I have better things to do all day then wait around for an installation to complete and test my wireless, but I just don't know how to continue. :(

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Well I know when 10.5 came out there was fix for non-functioning wireless to (but good to other wireless access points) was to go into the wireless D-Link router (that was working before a 10.5.x upgrade) and drop the fragmentation threshold and the frame threshold to 2306.

Maybe this could help with your D-Link wireless router. Good Luck.

3. CristobalHuet thread starter macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

Thanks bud, when I have the patience (that I lost the past couple of days downgrading) I'll try it.

What exactly do those settings do anyway?

Anything else I should change here:

[​IMG]

4. CristobalHuet thread starter macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

You sir have made my YEAR.

I installed every wireless and OS update without any hitch to my wireless connection, kudos, thank you very much!!

I also updated my D-link's firmware.