10.5.4 retail available in stores - Needed for 1st gen 8800 GT owners

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tobyg, Aug 18, 2008.

1. tobyg macrumors 6502a

I've been holding off actually purchasing Leopard for my mac pro. I've been using Leopard from a different Mac Pro... yes I know... but I was waiting for a 10.5.2 or greater retail so when want to rebuild my machine I won't have to swap back to my dieing 1900 or 7300. Well today I stopped by my apple store and bought a family pack retail Leopard 10.5.4. The box has a small purple sticker that says "New Version 10.5.4". I haven't tried booting it yet my Mac Pro with the 8800 GT yet but I will be trying shortly.

So this should be a good solution for all of us who have the 8800 GT but find we can no longer reload our machines without putting in an old card. Now I can finally rebuild my Mac onto these two new WD 640GB HD's (setup in a raid 0 stripe).

For all of you who already have Leopard and bought the 8800 GT, maybe you can call Apple and ask for newer pressed 10.5.4 DVD's to be shipped to you, but I wouldn't hold my breath. That's why I waited.

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

That should be good news for quite a few people- if I for one were in that situation (or had added a 3870 as I have thought about) I'd buy a new disk for the convenience of not swapping out cards to use the old disk!

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I'm gonna assume your referring to users with a MacPro prior to 2008 cause my system didn't need any 'update', the supplied disks already contained drivers for the optional graphics card upgrade.

4. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I read a report on XLR8 that the original Leopard disc will work with the 3870 (at least enough to be able to install Leopard) though the card normally requires 10.5.2 or later. Still, it would be great if 2006 MP owners could get ahold of a 10.5.2 or later disc for free, if we already have a 10.5.0 disc.

5. tobyg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, hence the '1st gen' in the topic. I tried to make the topic as informative as possible without making it 3 lines long :)

1st gen with the assumption that we're in the Mac Pro forum, so 1st gen (Mac Pro) 8800 GT owners.

6. kahine macrumors regular

Yes it does , slight graphical corruption during install but you just add the drivers from the Radeon CD that comes with the card after updating Leopard and you are fine then

7. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Good to know since I am still considering the 3870, so thanks for the information!

8. tobyg thread starter macrumors 6502a

And in case anyone is curious, I did finally confirm that with the 1st gen 8800 GT installed in a 1st gen Mac Pro (quad 2.66) the 10.5.4 retail DVD will boot properly where the original Leopard 10.5 DVD that came with the Mac Pro will kernel panic.

So this is an answer for those concerned about not being able to reload their 1st gen Mac Pro without having the original video card.

9. grue macrumors 65816

Hm. That's interesting, and annoying as hell. I suppose since I'm about to do a clean install and start completely fresh, I'll get all my system updates and applications installed, configure everything, and make a master image out of the drive, then put it on an external drive in my closet. That way I don't run into issues if I have to reinstall and don't have my XT1900