10.6.4 update screwed my MBP up, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NBarnes21, Jun 16, 2010.

1. NBarnes21 macrumors member

Anyone have issues after performing this update? I cant open mail, software update, or type anything in Safari before the program crashes and quits. Any suggestions? Am I looking at needing to do a clean install and restore from my time machine backup? I've tried shutting down several times, even did a hard reset and the same thing happens every time. Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....try downloading the 10.6.4 *combo* updater from Apple and applying that - it can sometimes fix anomalies like this. Also, test to see if it's the system or the user account - log in as a different user (create a new "clean" one if need be) and see if the issue(s) happen in that account as well....oh yeah!

3. NBarnes21 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help. It appears it's system wide as software update won't work under any account. I also tried the combo update but couldn't get it to successfully download, it said something about "no child processes" when I tried to mount the dmg file. Any other suggestions?

4. NBarnes21 thread starter macrumors member

tried to download the combo update again, got the same "unable to mount, no child processes" message. I'm able to surf in firefox and use itunes, but Mail and Software Update crash upon opening every time, and Safari crashes when I type text into any web page. Is a fresh install my only option here? Any help is very much appreciated.

Edit: After dragging the dmg file to the desktop and trying to mount it, it says "broken pipe" as the reason it can't mount, it goes back and forth between that and the "no child processes" as the reason. not sure if that helps anyone know what's going on here.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I'd probably run Disk Utility.app and repair permissions, then immediately restart.

When the computer came up, I'd run Terminal.app and issue the "sudo sudo update_dyld_shared_cache" command, wait for it to finish, and restart again.

6. Robby C macrumors regular

Robby C

Similar situation happened to my mac mini where I couldn't open the utilities preference for whatever reason. So all I did was just popped in the re-installation disk for the OS and it seemed to take care of everything. No information was lost through the process, and I didn't have to restore from my backup disk either so try doing that.

7. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

Yea I always think something like this is going to happen to me with new updates so I wait like 2-3 weeks before doing them in case they have to get fixed.

I would just reinstall the OS that came with your computer.

8. SurferMan macrumors 65816

I updated to safari 5 as that was the update that popped up (which has been nothing but trouble), but I just checked and my os/x is 10.6.3 ..... weird, it updated to safari 5 other day but not 10.6.4. Guess I'll wait and see if anyone else has more trouble with the updated os/x.

9. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

I can't complain about the 10.6.4 update, it fixed a bug with the 10.6.3 update that caused my iMac to randomly freeze.

10. MRU Suspended

MRU

It's caused disasters on my mac pro.

1) Airport sees the network, joins the network but has no Internet access?

2) My computer seems to be trying to update a firmware at each startup, but I'm not sure why.

3) My flashed 4870 no longer works and my standard 2600 is acting up since the update with artefacts at startup.

Not a happy bunny, especially as I have a brochure to finish by Monday.

I'm thinking about going back and re-installing my OS to 10.6, then update to 10.6.3 and then restoring my time machine backup.

Is there an easier way to go back to 10.6.3 if you have time machine running?

11. NBarnes21 thread starter macrumors member

I will give these a try tonight and update on what did/ didn't work. Thanks for the help.

12. NBarnes21 thread starter macrumors member

None of the above suggestions worked for me, I'm currently restoring from a 10.6.3 time machine backup. So should I even think about updating to 10.6.4 after I restore? Could this have just been an isolated incident?

13. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

Have you seen what the update includes? Unless you seriously must have those updates, then don't update it...

14. NBarnes21 thread starter macrumors member

I successfully restored from a time machine backup but then was unable to do any backups through time machine after I'd restored. It kept saying there was a problem with the backup- I repaired the backup disk to no avail and am now forced to go back to manual backups through super duper. Needless
    to say I'm very dissappointed with what's happened. Any idea what went wrong here?