10.6.7 and still no new mail notifications on push in Mail.app

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iammike1, Mar 22, 2011.

1. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Really Apple? I love what you do and all but how long is it going to take you to fix Mail.app?

10.6.7 and Mail.app still doesn't kick off a new mail alert if the message is received by push.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What? Mail.app doesn't even utilize Push. I think you're confusing OS X and iOS.

3. iammike1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iammike1

MobileMe with Mail.app does indeed push. It does not poll the server at intervals. In fact, Mail.app receives new mail before my iOS devices which also receive push from MobileMe.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Mail.app does not use push. It only has the options to use IMAP or POP3 and does 'poll' the mail server for mail.

5. iammike1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iammike1

...yet just to prove a point I set the polling time to 1 hour....sent myself multiple test messages from Gmail and was alerted of each email in the following order.

Mail.app on OS X: Took 2 or 3 seconds.
    iPad/iPhone: Took 4 or 5 seconds.

I don't know what you call that...but it sure isn't polling the server once per hour.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

In this case Push is a function of MobileMe, which is a service... not an App. So while MobileMe might push out an e-mail to Mail.app, it is no different than any other e-mail it gets when the server is polled.

I'm not really sure what your complaint is anymore. "Push notifications" are an iOS feature, not an OS X feature. If you want a notification when you get a new e-mail, either visually scan the Mail.app icon for the red indicator or install Growl.

7. iammike1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iammike1

*facepalm* Sorry but I'll wait for someone who actually understands what I'm talking about since this has been a known problem with Mail.app for a long time (pre-Snow Leopard) and it's a waste of time trying to prove anything that many people are already aware of.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=11602627&

IMAP IDLE pushes the message to the client when the message is received by the server instead of waiting for the polling period. When using IDLE, many people have problems with not receiving a new mail audio notification.

8. dyn macrumors 68030

Mail is able to use the IDLE command in case of an IMAP account. This is what people would call push for IMAP. There is only 1 catch: the mailserver has to support it.

Mail on my iPhone arrives around the same time as in Mail on my Mac. Sometimes the Mac is a second or 2 faster, sometimes the iPhone is a second or 2 faster. That alone does show that MobileMe (which is what I have) has push support (by using the IDLE command since it's IMAP). The time between the two clients is too close so this can't be the manual check (pull).