10.6.8 hangs at install on my MacBook Pro and won't boot up.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ChrisTX, Jun 24, 2011.

1. ChrisTX, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011

ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I'll save the details for now, but during the middle of the download of 10.6.8 last night I was having intermittent internet issues, and it was late so I decided to power down my Mac and finish up in the morning. I've done this mid download, and resumed later without a hitch many times before. NOTE: I did not power down during the install. However once it finished installing this morning, it asked me to restart and I did, but now it hangs at the grey install screen with the spinning cog wheel. It gets a little less than a quarter of the way through and then just shuts off. Any ideas on how I can fix this? Because now my Mac won't boot up at all. This is an early 2011 MacBook Pro if that helps. I also have access to an older 2007 MacBook Pro if needed. Any ideas?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. ChrisTX, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011

ChrisTX thread starter macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

How can I load this on to a Mac that won't boot into slow leopard. When I try and boot my new MBP, it literally just hangs at the grey install screen with the cog wheel, and then powers off. I can't get it to actually boot into the desktop. Trying to avoid wiping my HD, and having to start from scratch.

Looks like reinstalling snow leopard is my only option. Tried to repair disk with no luck. Ugh...

4. Elbert C macrumors 6502

5. ChrisTX thread starter macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I tried holding shift at start up, and nothing. I also tried booting into safe mode through terminal, and kept getting errors saying unknown command line. Wishing I had a time machine back up to revert back to but I don't. Looks like I will be doing so from now on. :/

6. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

I just tried to install 10.6.8 on my 24" iMac using Software Update and it killed my machine dead... now the machine won't boot at all... I just get this weak sounding attempt to power up and nothing else happens. I tried the SMC Reset for the iMac and it didn't make any difference.

I've never had a catastrophic problem such as this with any of my Macs... I'm at a complete loss. I have a Time Machine and a Carbonite back-up, but at this point I'm concerned about 10.6.8 turning my iMac hardware into an expensive paperweight.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

7. ChrisTX thread starter macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Well I powered down my MBP during the download(not install) and have this same problem. Maybe that was my mistake but. Agreed done this MANY times before with no problem at all. The download always auto resumes the next day or whenever I power on my Mac next. I don't have a backup hard drive but now plan to buy one. Is it too late for me to back anything up, or am I SOL? I guess the new time capsule is looking a little tempting after all. :/

8. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

After about an hour of panic, trying the power button periodically, I tried the power button again and my iMac magically booted. It was a slow boot, white screen, then an apple logo and the spinning thing... too much drama, since it looked nothing like a normal boot, so I left the room and when I came back it was at the login screen. Everything appears to be fully patched and working now.

9. ChrisTX thread starter macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I wish probably going to have to reinstall SL in my case since safe mode isn't working for me.

10. joesegh macrumors regular

Please keep us updated because almost the same thing happened to me. The 10.6.8 update failed during installation and I had to reboot and now I can't get past the gray Apple screen at boot-up (doesn't even get to the spinning cog; safe mode boot-up hangs when trying to load drivers).

First time I've ever had issues with a software update from Apple. Not inspiring lots of confidence right now.

11. ChrisTX thread starter macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

So far no luck, tried to repair disk, and got an error, and definitely no booting to safe mode. I hate to report that I have no backup, but I ran my older 2007 MacBook Pro untill just a few months back, and never needed it. Will be More than likely taking this to the Apple store later today to see what if anything can be done. I'll also be buying an external drive, and backing the new MBP up ASAP! At least I have my older MBP, and iPad in the meantime.

12. Fluffnstuf macrumors newbie

After 10.6.7 killed my sound output, 10.6.8 triggered a kernel panic that has been unrecoverable. The genius bar told me I now needed a new logic board for my 17" macbook pro