10.6 Time Machine backup over netwrk., Worked in 10.5, they seem to have broken it in

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CTJoyce, Aug 27, 2009.

1. CTJoyce macrumors member

By now most are aware that 10.5 could be forced to mount non supported disks in TM and if you created the sparcebundle properly you could backup to a NAS. Well I attempted to do that (Running 10.6 build 10a432) however so far I am unsuccessful. Here is what I did.

First ran the command

defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

so that TM would show the Backup drive.

Then created my sparcebundle with the command

hdiutil create -size 200G -fs HFS+J -type SPARSEBUNDLE Sexybook_00-25-00-cd-d7-08.sparsebundle

and moved it to my server using finder. I clicked "Backup Now" in TM, and it gave me error code 45 stating that the disk couldn't be created. I restarted both the server and the Mac, and still the same issue. I checked the system log and this was what I found.

Aug 25 23:31:55 sexybook com.apple.backupd[311]: Starting standard backup
    Aug 25 23:31:55 sexybook com.apple.backupd[311]: Attempting to mount network destination using URL: smb://Administrator@192.168.1.49/Backup
    Aug 25 23:31:56 sexybook com.apple.backupd[311]: Mounted network destination using URL: smb://Administrator@192.168.1.49/Backup
    Aug 25 23:31:56 sexybook com.apple.backupd[311]: Creating disk image /Volumes/Backup-1/Sexybook 1.sparsebundle
    Aug 25 23:31:56 sexybook hdiejectd[524]: running
    Aug 25 23:32:06 sexybook hdiejectd[524]: quitCheck: calling exit(0)
    Aug 25 23:32:22 sexybook com.apple.backupd[311]: Error 45 creating backup disk image
    Aug 25 23:32:22 sexybook com.apple.backupd[311]: Failed to create disk image

So I changed the sparcebundle name to just Sexybook.sparcebundle and attempted again. Same issue. I have tried multiple methods, however it would seem that in 10.6 the method of mounting TM backups is different then in 10.5 and thus this method no longer works. If anyone has any ideas on how to get this to work, I would be very happy, as I feel kind of naked without any kind of backups.

Cheers
    Cameron

2. Bahn Burner macrumors newbie

Mines working just fine on 10a432 with a Maxtor 1TB drive connected to a Late 2007 Macbook running 10.5.8. I had issues with every build prior to 10a432 though. I did cheat though, I connected the drive directly to the MBP I'm backing up, and created the sparsebundle, ejected it, and then mounted it over the network.

[​IMG]

3. jedijoe macrumors 6502

jedijoe

Cool orange icon. Where did you get it?

4. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Glad you posted this. I'm interested to know if Snow Leopard still works for Time Machine backups to AirPort Disks via the AirPort Extreme.

5. danny_w macrumors 601

Backing up as we speak...(iMac->AEBS->WD 750GB)

6. CTJoyce thread starter macrumors member

I did think of another method I could try, I created a new sparcebundle on the disk, and unmounted it forcing TM to mount the partition fresh as if I had just come home with the mac for it to backup. However this gave the same error.

The issue that I have is that my Macbook is the only mac in the house (as of now) and all my backups (PC, Mac, Linux) are centralized on a 5TB file server running MS Server 2008 Standard. I can tell you that HFS+ drives mounted over the network that are attached to other macs work just fine (set this up for a friend of mine) and it will back up just fine to Time Capsule / AEBS (confirmed by another friend).

The issue remains though. This will also be an issue for those backing up to an HP Home server, as essentially what I did is what their software package does, so there will be a workaround launched eventually. However at the moment, no luck.

Cheers
    Cameron

7. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Cool <purchases a new dual-band AEBS> :D

8. danny_w macrumors 601

You keep spelling sparsebundle with a 'c'; I don't know if that is a language difference, but I suspect that OS X expects the spelling with an 's' and can't find the correct file. Could this be the case, or is this simply an inconsistency in spelling?

9. CTJoyce thread starter macrumors member

Nope, its because I fail at spelling. Sexybook.sparsebundle is the most recent image I have created.

Cheers
    Cameron

10. danny_w macrumors 601

OK, I don't have an idea then unless it is expecting to add a time and date stamp to the filename. or something similar.

11. Shawn Parr macrumors regular

It does, and my experience has been good and bad.

Background: I was able to succesfully TM to AEBS with a Drobo attached up to 10.5.6. Even if not connected to the Airdisk, TM would mount my backup and do its thing (i.e. I saw the AEBS in the finder, but didn't click on it yet, so no eject icon). After upgrading to 10.5.7 the auto discovery/mount would not work. I had to mount the Airdisk Volume, then TM would do its thing. Very inconvenient. 10.5.8 did not fix this.

First Sync: Mounted the backup image and started an 11GB backup. Left it going overnight. In the morning my Macbook was in deep sleep mode, and when I awoke it it had a TM error.

Every other attempt to backup never got past "Making Backup Disk Available"

Manually attempting to mount the image file gave a 'No recognized volumes' error. Disk utility couldn't mount or repair it either. So 9 month of backups gone.

Starting over: I deleted the sparsebundle diskimage, and went back to my TM prefs and pointed it at the Airdisk again. It did its first backup in a few hours. Since then it is now able to auto mount the backup and do its thing with no interaction. It also displays the disk image differently. It used to say something like "Shawn Parr's Backup," now it says "Time Machine Backups" for the volume name.

I'm upgrading my wife's machine over the weekend, and right now I'm making an extra copy of her backup just in case. I'll see if it does the same thing or not. But for now if you are using AEBS for TM, I would be a bit cautious. A friend of mine with a Time Capsule had no problems whatsoever.

12. sejanus macrumors regular

hey guys

my smb backups have died as well on 10.6

I was using the usual hacks to get it to work that is documented all over the web with creating a sparsebundle image and so on. It was working fine on 10.5

I have a fileserver with windows7 on it that I was doing the backups to.

On 10.6 it fails everytime.

I believe that on 10.6 it no longer looks for/creates images with the mac address in the filename. Unfortunately regardless of what you name the image on the remote smb mount, time machine ignores it and tries to create a new one, using a different name (typivcally by appending a number i.e. 1) if an existing image is already there.

The smb mount is fine, I can copy files to/from it and create/delete folders as needed. Something has changed on time machine.

I even went to the extreme of formatting a disk on the windows box with hfs+ but that doesn't help, it's something else.

13. Bahn Burner macrumors newbie

http://interfacelift.com/icons-mac/details.php?id=848

Time machine in 10.6 does look for/create images with the mac address in the file name.
    [​IMG]

14. sejanus macrumors regular

I don't think it is here. My machine name is called Starbuck.

In the interim I'm doing a backup to my time capsule. The image on the time capsule is just "Starbuck.sparsebundle". No mac address.

On the win7 file server I mentioned above, I have created an image with the mac address in the exact same way that worked in 10.5 - it ignores it, and I can see it trying to create an image with no mac address.

15. Shawn Parr macrumors regular

Just as an FYI:

I upgraded my wife's core duo Macbook to 10.6 last night. And afterwords it did, and has continued to do, the Time Machine backups just fine, without any corruption.

So apparently I was just unlucky.

Yesterday I took a look at some of the reviews, and noticed that Walt Mossberg also had a failed TM backup. Apple did a diagnostic on his and determined that the corruption was supposedly done earlier, and Snow Leopard interacting with a bad backup caused the failure. If that is true, then that could easily explain what happened to me. I did have about 400GB of backups, so it is quite possible that somewhere in there was a bad one.

I'm now curious if this is also what caused my inability to automount from 10.5.7 on. Either it was bad timing and the corruption occurred at nearly the same time as that upgrade, or the corruption caused 10.5.7 to not handle it properly.

16. sejanus macrumors regular

Shawn - a time machine backup to where? a smb share?

17. CTJoyce thread starter macrumors member

Just to remind everyone this thread is about backing up over the network to a SMB share (A linux or windows file server) NOT to an AFP share (Any other apple device).

As far as creating the sparsebundle with the mac address I did try that as well (both with and without -) I have also attempted to create every possible combination of size, and partition size I could think of. No matter what I do TM ignores any sparsebundles on the volume. I ended up reinstalling 10.5.8 on another partition on my MB (too many critical apps don't work in SL, so had to go back until everything is updated) and created a new sparsebundle the way I did it the first time, and the mac will backup just fine (I even told it to backup the SL partition hoping that SL would see itself backed up). However boothing back into 10.6 it went back to making a Sexybook.tmp.sparsebundle.

In a final ditch attempt I took one of the 250GB WD passports I have lying around (yes there are quite a few) and had TM format that for backup. I then moved the contents of that drive to my backup drive and still nothing. I thought, ok maybe it wants a sparsebundle image so I made a sparsebundle image of the drive and put that on the SMB share, and still unable to backup.

So gents, unless any apple super guru has any ideas, I think this may be a dead thread.

Cheers
    Cameron

18. Shawn Parr macrumors regular

Title: 10.6 Time Machine backup over netwrk., Worked in 10.5, they seem to have broken it in

Sorry, didn't realize AFP/Apple devices weren't considered network Time Machine backups... [/sarcasm]

I'm using an AEBS with a Drobo, which is also unsupported, and works in much the same way that doing an SMB setup works. While it uses all Apple gear as far as the computer and network, and Apple did eventually put the ability in there, it is still not supported, and has been known to have issues from time to time.

19. andben macrumors newbie

Got the same error backing up to my linuxbox on the LAN via WIFI.

20. Ian.G macrumors newbie

Ian.G

I'm broken too

Hi Folks,

getting the same problem here too.

Previously had a 10.5.x OS X install backing up to a sparsebundle on a samba network share.

My sparsebundle file is named...

<computername>_<macaddress>c.sparsebundle

and it was working just fine prior to my snow leopard upgrade.

when time machine runs now I see it create a new sparsebundle on the samba share called <computername>.tmp.sparsebundle completely ignoring the file that already existed.

So - after many failed attempts I blew my working 10.5.x sparsebundle away and created a new one with

Code:
    hdiutil create -nospotlight -library SPUD -size 500g -fs HFS+J -type SPARSEBUNDLE -volname "Time Machine" -verbose "<computername>_<macaddress>c.sparsebundle"
    (obviously <computername> and <macaddress> were replaced with the appropriate values).

This resulted in the followinng output from hdiutil.

Code:
    Initializing…
    Creating…
    DIDiskImageCreatorProbe: interface  4, score    -1000, CWOUDIFDiskImage
    DIDiskImageCreatorProbe: interface  5, score    -1000, CRawDiskImage
    DIDiskImageCreatorProbe: interface  7, score    -1000, CSparseDiskImage
    DIDiskImageCreatorProbe: interface  8, score     1000, CSparseBundleDiskImage
    DIDiskImageCreatorProbe: interface  9, score    -1000, CCFPlugInDiskImage
    DIDiskImageCreatorProbe: selecting CSparseBundleDiskImage
    DIDiskImageCreateWithCFURL: CSparseBundleDiskImage
    CBSDBackingStore::createProbe directory, not a valid image file.
    DIBackingStoreCreatorProbe: interface  0, score    -1000, CBSDBackingStore
    DIBackingStoreCreatorProbe: interface  1, score     1000, CBundleBackingStore
    DIBackingStoreCreatorProbe: interface  2, score        0, CRAMBackingStore
    DIBackingStoreCreatorProbe: interface  3, score      100, CCarbonBackingStore
    DIBackingStoreCreatorProbe: interface  5, score     -100, CCURLBackingStore
    DIBackingStoreCreatorProbe: selecting CBundleBackingStore
    DIBackingStoreCreateWithCFURL: CBundleBackingStore
    DIFileEncodingCreatorProbe: interface  2, score    -1000, CEncryptedEncoding
    DIFileEncodingCreatorProbe: nothing to select.
    DIBackingStoreCreatorProbe: interface  0, score      100, CBSDBackingStore
    DIBackingStoreCreatorProbe: interface  1, score    -1000, CBundleBackingStore
    DIBackingStoreCreatorProbe: interface  2, score        0, CRAMBackingStore
    DIBackingStoreCreatorProbe: interface  3, score      100, CCarbonBackingStore
    DIBackingStoreCreatorProbe: interface  5, score     -100, CCURLBackingStore
    DIBackingStoreCreatorProbe: selecting CBSDBackingStore
    DIBackingStoreCreateWithCFURL: CBSDBackingStore
    DIBackingStoreCreateWithCFURL: creator returned 0
    DIBackingStoreCreateWithCFURL: creator returned 0
    DIDiskImageCreateWithCFURL: creator returned 0
    DI_kextWaitQuiet: about to call IOServiceWaitQuiet...
    DI_kextWaitQuiet: IOServiceWaitQuiet took 0.000006 seconds
    Formatting…
    Initialized /dev/rdisk1s2 as a 500 GB HFS Plus volume with a 40960k journal
    Finishing…
    created: /Users/idg/Ian Gratton’s MacBook_001b63bd3822c.sparsebundle
    hdiutil: create: returning 0

I then copied the new .sparesebundle file onto the samba share and attempted to tell time machine the location of the disk again.

When time machine kicked in I saw it ignore the new file and attempt to create a new one called Ian Gratton’s MacBook.tmp.sparsebundle.

Anyone getting similar problems still ? Could this be something bad in the macbook's keychain thats causing this ?

21. Ian.G macrumors newbie

Ian.G

Yay - it seems to be working now :eek:

my previous time machine volume was ...

<computername>_<macaddress>c.sparsebundle and it always worked on leopard.

Snow leopard didn't like the 'c' bit in the filename. So now I've got my freshly created sparsebundle (obviously without the random 'c' at the end of the mac address) it seems to be working again.

Now I just have to wait for it to do its first backup.

22. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

I am suspicious that this is being caused by new integrity checks in TM under Snow Leopard that are more sensitive to problems that are already existent in the backup library.

I have an EX485 HP Media Smart server which has its own OS X tools to allow Macs to do network backups to a volume on the HP box.

It has been working fine since my upgrade, no issues.

23. strawman macrumors newbie

Hurray, it works now again!!!!!

Hi,

sorry for crossposting this (also to thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=774097), but I am so happy that it is working now, and I have to share this :D

I desperately tried to make the TM work again after my 10.6 upgrade. I had the same problem as many users here, too: TM could not mount my TM image from an smb/windows share anymore. With 10.5 everything had worked like a charm for a many months though...

So much I know now: it is definitely a network authentication issue - the sparsebundle needs not to be changed, recreated, or renamed!

After many hours of trial and error the following worked for me (but I am not sure which of the steps are really necessary and which not!):

- connect the share via Finder Go To -> Connect with server (sorry, have a German version here...)
    - use the IP address instead of the network name for this share
    - use a username/password which works with the default domain on the smb server, so don't use any domainname prefix for the username
    - don't click "add to key chain" (sorry, again only German here...) for this login
    - afterwards connect the volume in TM as usual, as a new volume, and use the same username/password as above

Afterwards, everything was working for me again (using the same sparsebundle from 10.5)!

have fun and keep trying....;)

24. kevinherring macrumors newbie

damn, strawman's suggestions didn't work for me.

25. strawman macrumors newbie

hm...:confused:
    sorry, but I think the steps above were all I did in my last try, and now it is working...
    on a German forum, the steps worked for one (lucky?) guy, and for one not.
    so maybe it depends on something else?
    what configuration do you have exactly?