10.7.1 and 2010 MBP log in beach ball/freeze

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MBHockey, Aug 17, 2011.

1. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

10.7.1 didn't fix it for me. As long as automatic GPU switching is on i get beach balls/full system freeze upon trying to log in.

Has it fixed it for anyone else?

2. gregnauman macrumors regular

10.7.3 did not fix it for me either. I also just upgraded my mothers computer to Lion. She has the same Mid 2010 i5 macbook pro 15.

Now her's does it as well. It will lock up with the beach ball if you do not log in quickly.

I took mine to apple yesterday and they found an internal memo about it after telling me they never heard of this problem at the Genius bar.

The internal memo told the Genius techs to turn on Auto Logon for the customer until a fix is released.

Ive read on the net that people have had the logic board replaced and that fixed the issue.

With all that said I ran some experiments on mine and I would like you to try and see if this works for you.

We all know that if we turn off the auto graphics switching this seems to fix the problem.

Well I THINK I discovered another way to temporarily fix the problem.

Turn you wi-fi off, and then shut the computer down.

Turn the computer back on and when it gets to the logon screen see if it fails.

I had found the other day that mine suddenly seemed to be working fine.

The only thing I did was shut off wi-fi and hook up a network cable directly.

When I did this I noticed I never had the problem.

I then turned on the wi-fi because I didn't have the network cable hooked up anymore when I was in another room of the house.

I then had the problem again.

So I thought maybe it has something to do with the wi-fi being turned on.

Low and behold it worked fine with the wi-fi turned off.

When I went to the Apple store, I could not get it to fail for the technician.

So I thought Ill turn wi-fi on jump on the Apple store network and then reboot.

It immediately happened.

I showed the Genius bar tech this and so he hooked up a network cable and booted the computer off a network drive with the lion OS and it did not lock up again.

For what its worth report back what you find.