10.7.1. DMG still won't restore AIR, wtf do we use to restore this besides Wifi?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by GadgetGeek407, Aug 23, 2011.

1. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

There has to be a DMG out there that can restore this thing, is it gonna be 10.7.2? What is possibly on this machine that causes it to not be restored by 10.7 or 10.7.1?

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

3. GadgetGeek407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i haven't read this whole article but I do have 10.7 and 10.7.1 on a thumb drive, DMGs that I took from app store, and they won't work on air, what have you tried that works?

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I tried a DVD on an iMac 27" and the USB on my MacBook Pro 2009.

What exactly happens?

If you have a MacBook Air that came with Lion preinstalled, it has a particular build that can only be accessed by the internet Recovery utility.

5. GadgetGeek407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I understand that but does this mean other build will ever supersede that?

6. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I emailed Steve Jobs last night, actually. If no answer, then no answer until Apple makes a move. That's just how they are.

7. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

8. sl33py, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011

sl33py macrumors newbie

Lol, do not waste $69 on the usb thumb drive. You need to extract the installESD.dmg file and then use disk utility to either put it onto a 8 gb usb drive or a DVD-R. A 8 gb flash drive is the minimum requirement for you to create an installation disk; 4gb will not work, I know that as I have tried it >,<. You can follow the directions here http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/08/make-a-bootable-mac-os-x-10-7-lion-installer-from-a-usb-flash-drive/ :).

I have personally burned the installESD.dmg to a DVD-RW and then rebooted the mba while holding down the "option" key, and performed a full clean install on my 2010 mba. Once in you are disk utility for Lion, I am sure you know what do. Just wipe the existing drive installation, and do new install :). Hope that helps ^^.

Edit: I did notice that you have the recent i7 mba. Hmm. Try and see if what I said above work. Hopefully it does for you.

9. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

We're talking about the latest MBA... does no wormy the same.

10. sl33py macrumors newbie

Lol, yes i saw that, and I correct the post for that. But it seems that you made your post and I my correction at the same time; thus, you were unable to see my edit.

With regards to what the the OP posted, here is a ongoing thread at apple support https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3206618?start=15&tstart=0. According to the posts I have read thus far, there have been people who have contacted apple support and are getting mailed the usb sticks for free. And as many are saying, the version of Lion installed on the 2011 mba's are different from the ones available at the app store causing people to have issues. Hope that thread link helps :).

11. mikeboss macrumors 65816

mikeboss

12. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

sl33 ty...read threw it and found way to make bootable usb stick that will work with "new mba" (look for thread about recovery installing to external drive,to get 2011 air .dmg)

finally!

13. VSEAE15O macrumors newbie

I"m looking for this same InstallESD.dmg file. None of the ones i've found and imaged to the USB thumb drive worked. if anyone still has this please message me. Thanks

14. gentlefury macrumors 68030

If you have a time machine backup you can use that to restore the os.

15. tyler510 macrumors newbie

If you have The dmg:
    right click
    Show package contents
    Resources
    Installesd.dmg
    Copy to desktop
    Double click
    Boom! Osx lion installer opens up!
    (not exactly sure if thats the corret location of installesd.dmg but double check just to be sure!!)