Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WStrawson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2014
I can't understand this for the life of me. I hope it's not too trivial a question but I can't find any information on this anywhere and I'm fit to blow a gasket at this rate.

I've been using Lion for a while now (obviously) and have been bothered by this since I switched over from Leopard: on my previous machine, when I wanted to use a wallpaper that was a larger size than the actual dimensions of the screen, I would set the desktop to "center" and the desktop would do just that—fix the image to the center of the screen and display as much of the image as the screen allowed for, in the image's original dimensions.

On Lion, however, this is seemingly impossible for no discernible reason. Instead, setting a larger image to "center" automatically resizes the image, behaving as if I'd set it to "fit to screen". This is obnoxious if I'm using a very high-quality wallpaper because it smooshes it into an un-pretty mess. It's bizarre too—the preview thumb displays correctly, with the image centered and not resized. But changing back and forth from "fit to screen" to "center" changes nothing but the thumb.

Is there any way to get around this foolishness? is there a reason for this that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

---
Note: I'm fully aware that I could manually resize or edit my wallpaper image—I'm not interested in doing so for various reasons and am also simply curious as to why this was changed or what I might be doing wrong.

WStrawson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2014
Guess I'll bump this, given the passage of time and all.

No one knows what's up with this, really? What a bummer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.