10% battery loss overnight

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by dojoman, Oct 2, 2018.

1. dojoman macrumors 65816

Has anyone experienced big battery charge loss after updating to Mojave? I keep my 2016 Macbook Pro TB in standby with lid closed but I lost all my battery within 4-5 days from 80% charge to 0%. It wasn't like this before Mojave.

2. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

I wish it was only 10%. I was losing 10% with HS and thought that was pretty poor. With Mojave it tends to be closer to 30%.

3. Isamilis macrumors 6502a

I have about 4% in 8 hours sleep (with Safari open plus 2-3 apps). Not sure is this expected or still too much draining.

4. Skalla macrumors newbie

I also had this issue when I updated to Mojave, I found I was losing 30% over over a 10 hour period whilst my MacBook was sleeping. After a bit of digging around I stumbled across an article last night about hibernationmode, I changed my hibernationmode setting from 3 to 25 and closed the lid at about 10pm last night and when I opened it up at 4pm this afternoon the battery was still at 100%, there is a slight delay when you open the lid but I can live with this till Apple addresses the issue.

http://bendeegan.com/2016/04/19/how-to-make-a-mac-hibernate-properly-and-consistently/

https://www.lifewire.com/change-mac-sleep-settings-2260804

5. Venderious macrumors regular

Venderious

I hate the battery life on Mojave. It's absolutely dramatic, I'm barely getting 4 hours, where I used to easily get 7.

6. truesepho macrumors 6502

Same here, losing 30-40% overnight. Horrifying :(

7. iPhilPHX macrumors regular

iPhilPHX

I'm experiencing the same thing as many. Much quicker draining during use and when the laptop is in sleep mode I see about 20-30% drain. Here's hoping this gets addressed ASAP. Disappointing, to say the least.

8. Suttree macrumors regular

Suttree

9. SDC_Bolts macrumors newbie

SDC_Bolts

This is working for me, following these steps, it takes about 15 more seconds to wake up from sleep, but battery life when sleeping has been excellent on short stints of a couple hours, will see how a overnight sleep goes tonight. Thank you for your post Skalla.

10. bobval macrumors newbie

bobval

Thank you for your post Skalla,
    I have only one question - A macbook with 16GB of RAM, if hibernated 4 times a day, writes up to 23 terabytes per year in hibernate file writes alone... if hibernated 8 times a day - 46 terabytes per year..This voids many manufacturer warranties,each closing of the display lid - a new entry on ssd.
    hibernatemode 25 mode is not worse for ssd than mode 3 ?

Thank you

11. Isamilis macrumors 6502a

Hibernationmode 25 is to hibernate, compared to 3 which is for safe sleep. These are actually two different things.
    While it looks like solving battery drain issue, but not really solving battery drain during sleep.

12. x0ssrk macrumors newbie

x0ssrk

Open terminal, use
    log show --style syslog | grep -i "Wake Reason"
    to check system log. If "ARPT(Network)" appears a lot, it seems a kernel bug causing system waking up too many times.

try
    sudo pmset -b tcpkeepalive 0
    or
    sudo pmset -a tcpkeepalive 0
    where -b stands for battery and -a for ac-power. Before turning tcpkeepalive down, my macbook pro keeps wake up each hour and battery drains ~20% after 12 hours hibernation. After turn it down it only wakes up when lid opens.