10 countries where homosexuality may be punished by death

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by BigAppleNYC123, Oct 6, 2017.

1. BigAppleNYC123, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

BigAppleNYC123 macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

Yemen: According to the 1994 penal code, married men can be sentenced to death by stoning for homosexual intercourse. Unmarried men face whipping or one year in prison. Women face up to seven years in prison.

Iran: In accordance with sharia law, homosexual intercourse between men can be punished by death, and men can be flogged for lesser acts such as kissing. Women may be flogged.

Mauritania: Muslim men engaging in homosexual sex can be stoned to death, according to a 1984 law, though none have been executed so far. Women face prison.

Nigeria: Federal law classifies homosexual behavior as a felony punishable by imprisonment, but several states have adopted sharia law and imposed a death penalty for men. A law signed in early January makes it illegal for gay people countrywide to hold a meeting or form clubs.

Qatar: Sharia law in Qatar applies only to Muslims, who can be put to death for extramarital sex, regardless of sexual orientation.

Saudi Arabia: Under the country's interpretation of sharia law, a married man engaging in sodomy or any non-Muslim who commits sodomy with a Muslim can be stoned to death.

Afghanistan: The Afghan Penal Code does not refer to homosexual acts, but Article 130 of the Constitution allows recourse to be made to sharia law, which prohibits same-sex sexual activity in general. Afghanistan's sharia law criminalizes same-sex sexual acts with a maximum of the death penalty. No known cases of death sentences have been meted out since the end of Taliban rule in 2001.

Somalia: The penal code stipulates prison, but in some southern regions, Islamic courts have imposed sharia law and the death penalty.

Sudan: Three-time offenders under the sodomy law can be put to death; first and second convictions result in flogging and imprisonment. Southern parts of the country have adopted more lenient laws.

United Arab Emirates: Lawyers in the country and other experts disagree on whether federal law prescribes the death penalty for consensual homosexual sex or only for rape.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...e-punished-by-death-2/?utm_term=.434733d9490c

2. LordVic macrumors 603

I will have to ask, the images you have linked are graphic in nature and you should update the thread title to reflect that.

I'm not sure what sort of response you're expecting from this thread. We all know that this sort of behaviour/laws are inhumane.

3. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

I agree.
    The thread may have some validity, but using the images is just out of order.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    Images have been removed so as not to derail the topic.

5. LordVic macrumors 603

They're still showing up as attachments

6. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I can still see them.

7. BigAppleNYC123 thread starter macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

You are the mod but here is my .02. Personally I think the images are critical to the topic, because for many people the topic is difficult to relate to. The images provide context and drive home the point that the subject is affecting people in the real world, and it is not theoretical or intangible. I would like to take the time to apologize for any insults I have written. I saw the message you sent and I’m trying my very best to be civil.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah, I removed the reference not the images. I fixed it.

9. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

It is an interesting topic. What do you propose, and what would you want the international community to do?

10. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

I can understand that you want to make it real.
    But… yeah… some of us don't need to be reminded so graphically. It blurs your message instead of enhancing it.

On a related note, last night on the BBC we were watching a series on The Reformation… and guess what pops up? Video of the Syrian pilot being burned alive by Isis… prisoners lined up to be beheaded.
    Images I personally try my best to avoid — and I felt disgusted. Unable to watch a programme that promised to be enjoyable.

And there it was… on the BBC… prime time.

Is the world just becoming inured to these kind of images?

Pardon for the off topic post.

11. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I would say that, more dangerously, they push people towards more violence.

12. BigAppleNYC123 thread starter macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

sanction countries that oppress gays. End oil imports, end foreign aid.

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Did it work with Iran ?

14. BigAppleNYC123 thread starter macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

Iran sanctions aren’t heavy enough. It also is not the case that just because something doesn’t work with one country it won’t work with another with different circumstances.

15. sim667, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

sim667 macrumors 65816

OP has copy pasted from here without credit:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...e-punished-by-death-2/?utm_term=.434733d9490c

One note on Iran, homosexuality was tolerated until the revolution.

I do notice that all of the countries in the OP are Islamic countries, and also note it specifically lists countries where the death penalty is applied. However I do think its worth noting its not only Islamic countries that criminalise homosexual relationships. Nor is it solely Islamic countries that apply the death penalty for a variety of crimes.

As someone who is against the death penalty and against criminalising same sex relationships, I think its worth noting that to provide some balance.

16. BigAppleNYC123 thread starter macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

17. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

So, would you say that Trump is correct in cancelling the Iranian deal?
    Do you think that as soon as the US leave Saudi Arabia alone and with sanctions Russia will immediately sign an alliance and a trade agreement with the saudis ?

18. BigAppleNYC123 thread starter macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

Certainly not. Iran is Russia’s principal ally in the region, due to the Iranian - Alawite alliance. Russia and Saudi Arabia are only talking right now because they know they have to. They’re not friends and they aren’t allies either.

I prefer to keep the Iran deal as I don’t think Saudi Arabia deserves better treatment than Iran.

19. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Exactly. I believe that as soon as the US leaves the region due to domestic policies of the counties involved, Russia and China (maybe India) will begin strategic talks with the aforementioned countries. It would be cheap oil price for them and a strong military alliance.

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

so those against abortion should be able to do the same?

21. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

22. BigAppleNYC123 thread starter macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

Yes
    --- Post Merged, Oct 6, 2017 ---
    This is the type of perspective that allows genocides to occur unobstructed.

23. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Uh, I don’t get it. You said that you were for heavier sanctions etc due to the execution of gays, but you also want to maintain the deal? Isn’t that a confusing position for both allies and foes ?
    --- Post Merged, Oct 6, 2017 ---
    Would you go to war for it?

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

if Obama did nothing about it sure as hell doubt trump will.

25. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

You’re wrong. He signed a deal that sent more money to the region.