10 Days in and already shattered iPhone 6 Screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by marddin, Sep 29, 2014.

1. marddin, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014

marddin macrumors 6502

A little back story - I've had every phone since the original on launch day. I always have taken excellent care of my phones and bought speck candyshells. This is the first time I've ever cracked my screen.

I am heartbroken.

My phone had a speck candyshell on it. It crashed to the ground of my work parking garage as I got out of the car. I don't know what to do with myself.

My question for you is, do you think the new iPhone 6 Speck Candyshell had anything to do with this screen break? The new iPhone 6 Candyshell's seem really tight. It's VERY difficult to get the phone in and out of the case which is not like candyshells as I've had them for years. Could the pressure of the candyshell cause more frequent breaks or am I just delusional?

Anybody else going through this difficult time?

2. TRC-WA macrumors regular

No. I bought a Ballistic slim case for $35 and got 6 sided drop protection. The horrifying thought of having my phone an extra 1/16 of an inch thick wasn't as bad as the thought of dropping it and shattering my screen... So I bought the case.

3. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Glass breaks, and a lot of it is random chance. I had never damaged a screen until I shattered my 5S about two months ago. And that was about two weeks before they started doing the cheaper screen repairs.

I'd dropped my phone from higher heights with no issues, but my 5S fell out of my pocket and landed perfectly flat on concrete (on the back). No tumbling to dissipate energy, and the thin Apple leather case can't absorb that much energy when it lands like that, so the screen just absolutely shattered.

The 6 has shown to be very durable in many drop tests, but there's lots of random chance involved. If it hits just right, the glass will break regardless. Luckily, it's only $109 for a replacement 6 screen, which isn't too bad.

4. sidezero macrumors member

I don't think the Speck Candyshell had as much to do with the screen break as you dropping it on a parking garage cement floor.

5. mojito macrumors member

I don't think there's anyone to blame but yourself. Not being a jerk, but there's nothing to indicate Apple or Candyshell are to blame for making a faulty product or something that's sub-par. It's just chance. I've dropped naked iPhones on solid concrete many times before with no crack or scratch, and then I hear people shattering their screens by bumping it on a table. It's chance - just sucks you got the bad end this time.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Sorry OP, but the Candyshell case had nothing to do with your iPhone screen cracking.

7. erzhik macrumors 6502

Your case had nothing to do with your screen breaking. Cases dont protect screens, they protect the body of the phone. To protect the screen, you need a glass screen protector.

8. marddin thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey buddy, calm down over there. I wasn't blaming anybody or anyone. Just posting a thread to read people's thoughts. I know it's my fault I broke the screen. Can't you see I'm going through a difficult time?

----------

Suggestions?

9. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Cases don't break phones.......... Gravity breaks phones.

10. marddin thread starter macrumors 6502

The ribbed/rigged parking garage floor definitely didn't help! :eek:

11. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Go to an Apple Store. If you don't have AppleCare plus, a screen replacement service costs $109. With AppleCare plus, $79 will get you a new device.

12. Azzin macrumors 68040

Take it in for repair/replacement under Applecare +.

13. marddin thread starter macrumors 6502

After some quick googling, I've scheduled an appointment for this afternoon with hopes of getting a quick screen replacement for $109. Thank you!

----------

Don't have AppleCare+ :(

14. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

At this point it might not be worth it, but consider getting AppleCare Plus. Costs $99, and you have 2 "covered" ($79 each) accidental damages for within 2 years.

15. Azzin macrumors 68040

Is that because you went with the old "I don't need Applecare+, I'm always careful with my phones & I've never damaged one yet" adage?

Bottom line-you've got to cough up $120 or so for a replacement screen, or $350 or so if you need a whole new unit.

16. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

My heart bleeds for you……

My $22.00 Nokia with a monochrome screen drowned in the washing machine a few weeks back. I thought I got a monochrome replacement last, but back home I discovered it has a colour screen. It looks dead, and I have yet to make or receive a call or text on it, though apparently a couple of people have called when I have been out…….

I am not in the habit of carrying a phone. I only got it because there is no land line to my apartment, where it stays.

17. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

You are delusional if you are thinking the speck case had anything to do with your screen shattering.

18. tekkt0r macrumors member

out of curiosity, does the case have any type of impact absorbtion in it? like a rubber interior? I went to Speck's site and they don't offer a lot in the way of how their cases are made. all it says is "military grade", whatever the hell that means.

is the exterior shell plastic?

19. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Come on this can't be a real thread ?
    You bounce your phone off a concrete floor and you think the case is at fault

Jeeeeees

20. erzhik macrumors 6502

Refurbished, not new. There is a difference.

21. CoyoteRidge macrumors member

Sure. Blame Speck. Blame the case design. It surely couldn't be your fault. Sounds great. Run with that line. You should seek the advice of an attorney. You may be awarded damages. Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket. Damages!!!

22. marddin thread starter macrumors 6502

Smh....everyone keeps using the word blame. I asked a question. Not blaming anyone. Calm down. Only person to blame is me so QQ thanks.

23. tekkt0r macrumors member

just wondering, do you feel better for being so condescending? he wasn't blaming the case outright, he was asking if it was possible. give the guy a break. I'm sure the last thing you'd want to read is a post like this after shattering your screen. if you don't have anything meaningful to add to the thread, perhaps you should refrain from replying.

24. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

New, or refurbished, depending on availability. :rolleyes:
    From my experience, it is usually new.

25. tekkt0r macrumors member

mine too, but it largely depends on how long the phone has been out. towards the end of a life cycle you'll start to see refurb serials. for sure, any iPhone 6 replaced today would be a new one.