Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

10 Long Press Tips to Reveal Hidden Functions in Safari on iPhone and iPad

Brunx

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2020
You missed the best one. Long press the refresh arrow (↺) in the address bar and a 'copy' button will come up to let you easily copy the entire URL.

Reactions: himanshumodi

himanshumodi

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
India
Nevermind... I did find the setting named "long press" under accessibility options, I've had this set to "off" already but it doesn't seem to work. Even though its off, all the shortcuts above still work if I hold my finger on it for a couple of seconds.

That's not what that option is for. You can't turn off haptic touch. Maybe you change the speed to "slow" under settings > haptic touch. It adds about half a second before haptic touch is activated. Might help.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors 601
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
3D Touch may have been pretty janky and awkward to use but it was still much better than this long press replacement. At least with 3D Touch, I didn't accidentally turn my torch on a million times a day.

cics

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2016
Milano
10. Access the Tab Control Panel

Another one that's just for Safari on iPad. Next time you have multiple tabs open, tap and hold one of those tabs to access the new tab control panel.

This works also on iPhone in landscape mode.

jonnysods

macrumors 604
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
There’s a lot of things here I didn’t know about, it’s a good article.

I went from an X to a 11 Pro - I miss Haptic Touch - quicker and easier to not initiate by accident.

podlasek

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
USA
Wonder if any of the previous better touch technologies will return with future screen tech?

until then, I guess this is what we have :(

MacBH928

Contributor
May 17, 2008
This sounds something closer like a hidden cheat found in a videogame magazine "tips&tricks" section in the mid-90s, where the developers did not want you to find such functions.

Far from the 1 button mouse to make this as less complicated as possible for the average user.

nikon1

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2014
Somewhere In South Jersey
Great article for Apples “hidden gems” but I’m with the majority of the previous posters — bring back 3D Touch! It was so much quicker & simpler than the Long Touch! Apple killed a really nice feature and replaced it with technology that is light years behind what they had.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.