10 minutes of Lion GM & I'm in love!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by sneil2, Jul 16, 2011.

1. sneil2 macrumors member

sneil2

Well, I've had Lion GM for 10 minutes and I'm in love already.

The soft, smooth look of the windows, the scrolling (which used to drive me mad being back to front!), launchpad and mission control are all amazing!

I can't wait to sync my mail and enjoy the new look Mail and the full page views. ;)

2. seong macrumors 65816

seong

I can't wait until iOS 5 is fully integrated with Lion :) Think about free iCloud services! Can't wait.

3. BigJohno macrumors 65816

I have been running the GM on my air since day 1 and it has definitely come a long way from dev 1-4. I put it on my iMac a few days ago and it has been flawless. I just wish logitech would release some new drivers for my performance MX. I had to fall back to my magic mouse.

4. Galaxas0 macrumors regular

Let's just put it this way - if Lion GM was a woman, i'd take her any day :D
    If it was a cat, it'd be a British Shorthair LOLcat :D

5. acxz macrumors regular

It'll take a while for you to realise why Mission Control and Launchpad are crap.

6. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Very much personal opinion. I like using Mission Control.

7. *LTD*, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2011

*LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Welcome to the "Lion is ready for release" club. ;)

If you like fullscreen support, then take a gander at PDFs in preview - fullscreen. Fantastic!

EDIT:

4 negatives? Whoever you are, seek help. Seriously.

Talk about abusing the rating system (which really is pointless in the first place.)

8. thankins macrumors 6502

I think the 4 negatives came from another thread started by the OP that basically said she downloaded DP2 - screwed her mac up. Then wanted help downloading the GM build and installing it.

Her reason was " I already own a new mac so I can install the GM"

9. *LTD*, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2011

*LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Well they were in this one. Then it improved to -2 thanks to what I can only assume to be level-headedness.

The topic is that someone loves the GM (regardless of how she got it.) I treated it as such: a user more or less satisfied with the GM. She may have torrented it, but it doesn't make her a a leper. Especially when we unabashedly discuss installing OS X on non-approved hardware (in direct violation of Apple's EULA) and post links to help with it, so openly, which IIRC is in violation of MR's own rules. I ranted about this over a year ago and was told that the owners simply made a decision to allow it, despite the stated rules. It's warez.

In any case, the comment rating system is just silly, and oh so open to abuse. I don't care how high my post's voted or how low, it makes no difference. I'd like to see MR get rid of it.

10. jschmitt macrumors member

jschmitt

Very similar to the reaction I had after using DP2 for a few hours; there were and still are bugs in the GM (you'll notice them the longer you use the GM) - but many of these will be cleaned up with 10.7.1. I think within 6 months, most of these Lion skeptics will have come over. I think Lion has the potential to be Apple's best big cat to date.

John

11. acxz macrumors regular

I suppose it makes sense when you're on a smaller screen (I'm assuming you don't have an iMac you're not telling us about in your sig), but when you're on a larger one it makes no sense to condense everything. There was plenty of room to see everything with the old Expose/Spaces and required less clicks to use.

12. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Yeah that's true. I think it's better suited to a smaller screen. I never used spaces under SL but I love how each full screen app automatically uses its own "space" in Lion. I can see how pointless it would be for an iMac.

13. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

That is just your opinion.
    I have had every single DP and am now on GM, and i like Lion a lot.
    Launchpad is much more awesome than just an Application Folder in the Dock.
    And mission control suits MY needs perfectly. Expose was nice back then but the fact that it was not as easy to access and separated from Spaces made it kinda useless for me.

Less clicks? You basically just wipe up with 4 fingers to get to Mission Control.

Of course it is pointless, but you know...Internet, serious business.

14. skillwill macrumors regular

Im loving Lion to, was really worried about how it would run with 2GB ram but it seems just fine. What surprises me is that I wasn't that excited because I never saw a use for full screen apps, gestures, but Im already using them all the time. Mission Control was getting a lot of stick, but I like it - I'd never bothered with spaces before, now they're much easier to set up. Saying that - I use email, internet, word, and other pretty basic stuff ... seems those who are not liking it so much are the power users so can't really comment on the Lion experience in that respect

15. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Exactly. For a power user the combination of Spaces and Exposé was much better in Snow Leopard. Mission Control is good but needs a few tweaks to get even better. I think Apple doesn't want us to create a lot of spaces, maybe one or two and then use full screen apps. In this scenario Mission Control works very well. I use 6 Spaces and it is difficult to see all running apps at once. In Snow Leopard I could do that much better.

16. harrisondavies macrumors 6502

harrisondavies

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I quite like Lion. but my biggest bug bear is how they removed drag lock. now I have to click n drag. to me that wears out my hardware faster and noisy when I don't want it to be. i.e. in bed. I know there's the option for 3 fingered drag, but that option takes away back and forth in finder. u just can't win.

17. theGAPkid macrumors regular

I had the same problem. If what you are complaining about is what I think it is, head on over to universal access, then under Mouse & Trackpad, click on Trackpad Options. There's an option for dragging.

I hope that is what you mean :p

18. harrisondavies macrumors 6502

harrisondavies

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

you awesome awesome person you. thanks for making my day. woo I can double tap and drag lock again

19. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

I cant wait for lion to ship either. It has to be this week.

20. lomby macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I will get it on release :D

21. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

I find Misson Control very useful. Much more useful than Expose ever was. Everything is just so fluid in Lion and it all just works. One shouldn't have to put a lot of thought into using an OS. I am very thankful for how much thought and development goes into everything Apple does.

22. theGAPkid macrumors regular

Haha. No problem mate. Well, now I've done my good deed for the day, it's back to bed! I bid you goodnight ;)

But seriously, I don't know why they made it so hard to find. I would've thought that would be a popular option for people. I was like you before I found out how.

23. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

I disagree. Apple is pretty good at identifying what consumers will buy. Therefore it will make the Cupertino company a massive amount of money.

That said, I don't like most of what comprises Lion, and will remain with 10.6.5 until I see a compelling reason to change. It simply appears too filled with gimmicks that are destined to wow the consumer, but deliver little if any value to those of us who use computers professionally. As always that's just my opinion & preferences.

24. basher macrumors 6502

basher

I can't wait to give Lion a try. Lots of new features to see and try. Very excited.

25. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil