10 months later, rash from sport band, the band itself

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by FurElise, Jan 25, 2016.

1. FurElise macrumors newbie

Hello,

Anyone else have this issue? I purchased in April 2015, the apple watch stainless, 38mm with the black sport band. I have worn the watch every day since.

A couple weeks ago, I developed a rash under the disc-pin thing. Guessing a nickel allergy, a friend suggested clear nail polish and that did the trick.

Now there is another rash, this time where it appears that a coating on the band itself is wearing off. Does the band have nickel or those methacrylates in it and now that the coating in wearing off it is making contact with the skin...???

I understand these are the least expensive bands, but I thought perhaps it would last longer.

While logic may say and I probably will, run out and get a new band, for me the larger issue, is can any of the apple straps be trusted? It would be one thing, if they were less expensive.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Did you stop wearing the watch till the original rash had gone?

3. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68000

LoveToMacRumors

You might be allergic to some materials inside, buy another band, maybe the leather one

4. FurElise thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, I thought so. The nail polish solution worked immediately.

Perhaps not connecting the dots, I also tried one of those Amazon off-brand milanese loops and that really bothered my wrist. It is in the trash.

I thought I read that new straps are coming out in March, so I think I will nail polish the part of the band that is peeling and see if I can wear it (after this rash is gone).

--- Post Merged, Jan 25, 2016 ---
    I was thinking about the leather one. It does have some metal on it that appears would touch the skin, so at $150, I am a bit leery.

Thanks your note though!

5. ftlum macrumors regular

I don't think third party/ knockoff sport bands are made of the same substance as OEM ones-- the knockoffs are lint magnets. You might not be allergic to those, though they tend to be thinner than the real ones and some have seams and overhanging edges.

6. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68000

LoveToMacRumors

Don't worry, you have 14 days to try it out. Apple has very good refund policy since they are so rich. They'll often refun stuff no question asked.

7. FurElise thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much for reading my post and your suggestion!

Interesting that this has come up for me. After a little research and considering the intent-wish of Apple to disrupt the luxury watch market, I do not think that can really happen for folks who are prone to skin irritations from nickel. I am reading that one of the differences from 316L and 904L stainless steel is that while there is more nickel in the 904L, the nickel is "captive" so between the two, the 316L is more likely to cause skin irritations.

I will be looking for a nice leather strap, probably not made by apple, unless they improve the choices of metals used. Now if they come out with a nice looking 904L strap, I will give a look see.

For me until this skin irritation clears up, I am reconnecting with my beautiful 904L stainless watch/band.